Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2013, 07:34 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
RockvilleBob's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lewes DE USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,551
QuoteOriginally posted by Franc Quote
i wish they would hurry up the TC
My sentiments - exactly!

When announced it will back ordered for a long time. An instant best seller.

08-28-2013, 08:42 AM   #32
Pentaxian
bdery's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec city, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,659
QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
Well, on that....am I alone in longing for the days when a "kit lens" meant a "high quality, fast 50mm", and not "a piece of plastic to throw at eBay as soon as possible"?
Pentax' kit lenses are far from throwaway items, they are not the best, but they are reliable and perform well enough. Given that my Sigma 17-70 was in repairs for most of the summer, I lived with the WR kit lens for that time and managed quite well (of course my 60-250 and primes saw more action but when in need of a convenient all-purpose, the kit filled the gap nicely).
08-28-2013, 10:05 AM   #33
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Ohio (formerly SF Bay Area)
Posts: 1,464
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
A rather "low profile" up-date.

Considering the 2011 or 2012 needs / expressions of the PENTAX Forums readers :

No more fix focal ambitions, whilst competitors continue rushing to fast primes and pancakes ?

No more FF body whereas it is said to be still under development ? Or will it not be K-mounted ?

Let's hope they have kept the best for later, but not years on.
One thing I think we can learn from this updated roadmap -- in which the HD Limiteds suddenly appeared at the same time they were formally announced -- is that we can stop looking for subtle clues about FF and other changes of direction.

If they don't want us to know about it, it won't be represented in the roadmap.
08-28-2013, 10:13 AM   #34
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 3,016
At least Pentax reserves "macro" for true 1:1 lenses. Sigma smacks that word onto lenses with as little as 1:4 magnification.

08-28-2013, 10:21 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,382
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
At least Pentax reserves "macro" for true 1:1 lenses. Sigma smacks that word onto lenses with as little as 1:4 magnification.
Good point about Sigma (and it's true for others) ... and don't look at things like the SMC M 50/4 Macro, the SMC M 100/4 Macro or ... J
08-28-2013, 10:24 AM   #36
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,615
QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
SDM and DC are incompatible (and I assume that one is "better" than another?)
DC works better,
but SDM is better when it works?
08-28-2013, 10:26 AM   #37
Pentaxian
Fogel70's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,737
QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
One thing I think we can learn from this updated roadmap -- in which the HD Limiteds suddenly appeared at the same time they were formally announced -- is that we can stop looking for subtle clues about FF and other changes of direction.

If they don't want us to know about it, it won't be represented in the roadmap.
Anything else would be foolish and would risk them ending up with less sales. So info that might affect sales on existing lenses will not be on the roadmap. If they FI had Pentax put HD DA Limited on the roadmap a year ago, the sales on SMC DA Limited might have suffered quite a bit.
08-28-2013, 11:01 AM   #38
Pentaxian
Barry Pearson's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Stockport
Posts: 870
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Anything else would be foolish and would risk them ending up with less sales. So info that might affect sales on existing lenses will not be on the roadmap. If they FI had Pentax put HD DA Limited on the roadmap a year ago, the sales on SMC DA Limited might have suffered quite a bit.
There is a "DA Wide Zoom" [sic] on the roadmap that may supersede the DA 12-24mm f/4.

There is a "DA Zoom" [sic] on the roadmap that may supersede the DA 17-70mm f/4.

08-28-2013, 11:18 AM   #39
Pentaxian
Fogel70's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,737
QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
There is a "DA Wide Zoom" [sic] on the roadmap that may supersede the DA 12-24mm f/4.

There is a "DA Zoom" [sic] on the roadmap that may supersede the DA 17-70mm f/4.
The details on them is to vague to really tell, at least the "DA zoom" can be anything from a f/2.8 zoom to a new kit lens. And a normal zoom is not something you will want to wait too long to get. The "DA wide zoom" might be a mistake to have on the roadmap as it's most likely an updated version on DA 12-24/4.
08-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #40
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Madison, Wis., USA
Posts: 1,510
QuoteOriginally posted by jiimaa Quote
A
My understanding:

WR = Weather resistant. Pentax description mentions splash resistance but nothing about dust. A matter of damning with faint praise, methinks.

* = "sealed". Whatever that implies. Pentax mentions dust resistance and uses stronger language when describing * glass.

AW = All weather? Perhaps a somewhat different approach owing to the engineering necessary to make a lens of the size and nature of the 560.

None will automatically get replaced in the event of water or dust damage. I don't know which criteria Pentax uses for this part of the warranty.
08-28-2013, 11:32 AM   #41
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Madison, Wis., USA
Posts: 1,510
QuoteOriginally posted by Mazhe Quote
You know, it's been almost a year since they fixed the SDM flaws...
No, I didn't know that. Can you point me (at least) to the source?
08-28-2013, 11:44 AM   #42
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2012
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 138
QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
No, I didn't know that. Can you point me (at least) to the source?
It was announced right here in a interview with PentaxForums at photokina 2012:
Pentax Engineer on SDM Failure and Pentax DC - Photokina 2012 - PentaxForums.com
08-28-2013, 12:11 PM   #43
Pentaxian
Mistral75's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Paris
Posts: 2,781
QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
My understanding:

WR = Weather resistant. Pentax description mentions splash resistance but nothing about dust. A matter of damning with faint praise, methinks.

* = "sealed". Whatever that implies. Pentax mentions dust resistance and uses stronger language when describing * glass.

AW = All weather? Perhaps a somewhat different approach owing to the engineering necessary to make a lens of the size and nature of the 560.

None will automatically get replaced in the event of water or dust damage. I don't know which criteria Pentax uses for this part of the warranty.
WR = weather resistant (rain, mist, water splashes or spray)

AW ("All Weather") and DA* = dustproof and weather resistant. The DFA 645 are AW.
08-28-2013, 12:32 PM   #44
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,618
QuoteOriginally posted by jiimaa Quote
How bad can it get for a single lens, HD Pentax-D FA* L WR Macro Limited AW 18-35mm F1.8-2.0 ED AL [IF] SDM XS? My god, I'd buy that for the name alone. On a second thought they ruined it with the plastic mount.
Well if they would make one...
08-28-2013, 12:35 PM   #45
Junior Member




Join Date: Aug 2012
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 33
They are totally screwing things up no one needs the same wine in a different bottle. Even the flash upgrades are a joke and rip-off. Pentax is looking more like Microsoft (no - innovation ) where else CanNikon are like Google and Apple at this point.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
limiteds, pentax news, pentax rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Lens Roadmap! Noisychip Pentax News and Rumors 21 02-02-2012 08:38 PM
New Pentax Lens Roadmap agkchang Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 16 04-27-2009 04:05 PM
New Pentax Roadmap ogl Pentax News and Rumors 67 03-04-2009 03:59 AM
New Pentax lenses roadmap ogl Pentax News and Rumors 19 02-02-2008 02:24 AM
new lens roadmap MJB DIGITAL Pentax News and Rumors 13 10-02-2007 11:33 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:25 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top