Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2013, 12:37 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by phansu123 Quote
They are totally screwing things up no one needs the same wine in a different bottle. Even the flash upgrades are a joke and rip-off. Pentax is looking more like Microsoft (no - innovation ) where else CanNikon are like Google and Apple at this point.
Please sell your gear and be gone. I don't care about the bottle as long as the wine is good.

08-28-2013, 01:15 PM   #47

I never said the wine was bad, I said they don't need to spend money on different bottles. Time and Money can be spent in a better Flash System, Better Flashes, Better P-TTL etc etc..
08-28-2013, 01:19 PM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by phansu123 Quote
Better Flashes
Breaking news: they just announced two new flash units.
08-28-2013, 01:19 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
The details on them is to vague to really tell, at least the "DA zoom" can be anything from a f/2.8 zoom to a new kit lens. And a normal zoom is not something you will want to wait too long to get. The "DA wide zoom" might be a mistake to have on the roadmap as it's most likely an updated version on DA 12-24/4.
I was responding to "info that might affect sales on existing lenses will not be on the roadmap". Those 2 lenses on the roadmap may well be seen as replacements for the lenses I quoted, and so "might affect sales on existing lenses".

I agree with what you say about the "DA wide zoom", which has been on roadmaps for a long time. I wonder how many sales of the existing DA 12-24mm f/4 were affected?

And the "DA Zoom" was a "DA* Zoom" on previous roadmaps for a long time, so I suspect it is not a kit lens. I wonder how many sales of the existing DA 17-70mm f/4 were affected? But instead, might some people about to seek a non-Pentax alternative to the DA 17-70mm f/4 wait for this lens instead?

I'm not convinced that "info that might affect sales on existing lenses will not be on the roadmap". I think it more likely that the roadmap was signed off by people who were aware of likely impacts, but wanted to achieve something more important.

08-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Isn't the "RC" a new addition to the teleconverter? What does that mean?
08-28-2013, 01:30 PM   #51
Pentaxian

where is the FA 50mm F1:1.4 anyway? That's still on sale.
08-28-2013, 01:39 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
Isn't the "RC" a new addition to the teleconverter? What does that mean?
"Rear Converter" I think.

And it has been on all roadmaps from January 2012, and possibly earlier.
08-28-2013, 02:54 PM   #53
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
All the new DA Ltd and silver FA's look great, but...

Four new DA zoom lens... Isn't DA lower grade then DA* lens in Pentax lens hierarchy?
DA limited basically means high-end compact, DA* basically means high-end fast & weather-sealed. DA alone is a lower, yes.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-28-2013, 02:56 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
I wonder why people assumed f/2.8? Half of the DA* lenses are not f/2.8. (I have those 3, and not the 3 that are f/2.8).

(I felt that f/2.8 would make the lens too big and heavy. I would have been pretty happy with f/3.5, and would have accepted f/4).
Well, I'd really love it if my 200mm was f/1.4 like the 55mm DA* Slower than f/2.8, however, .... a bit disappointing for a top-of-the-line lens series.
08-28-2013, 04:51 PM   #55

I'm curious as well about that limited zoom since it appeared on the first roadmap.
08-28-2013, 07:40 PM   #56
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Let's say HD Limiteds revamp is a good signal pointing into which directions Pentax goes.
Will the DA* lenses be spared HD treatment? I doubt it. It is a perfect excuse for Ricoh to suddenly "solve SDM issues", and increase prices.
So ladies and gentlemen, grab those DA* lenses you don't have, with old SMC , because the new lenses will surely be even more expensive.
08-28-2013, 08:24 PM   #57

This news is really encouraging! IMO I feel that Pentax is moving in the right direction. If the samples of the new coating are anything to go by I feel that it was the right thing to do by upgrading the limited line. By doing this it gives cohesion within the range and makes it appear that the limiteds are not stagnant, but are indeed superb lenses that use CURRENT technology. The obvious caveat is that they will have to perform better than the previous version. It is also encouraging to see an updated lens roadmap. I recall in years gone by these things were rarely revised or even published for that matter. I am particularly interested in the 10-30mm wide zoom, as I have been wanting to upgrade my 10-20 Sigma for sometime now.

On the negative side (IMO) I am surprised that Pentax have not directly addressed that SDM problem in the DA* line. As another member mentioned, it would be wise for Pentax to start afresh with a new name possibly (or version number), which uses a more robust SDM technology. I have wanted a couple of the DA*s for long time, but I cannot bring myself to spend the money on a product that has received so many negative reviews.

Overall, there has been some great news recently. Keep it up Ricoh!
08-29-2013, 12:49 AM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noVICE Quote
On the negative side (IMO) I am surprised that Pentax have not directly addressed that SDM problem in the DA* line. As another member mentioned, it would be wise for Pentax to start afresh with a new name possibly (or version number), which uses a more robust SDM technology. I have wanted a couple of the DA*s for long time, but I cannot bring myself to spend the money on a product that has received so many negative reviews.
What proportion of people thinking of buying those lenses have even heard of the SDM problems? I have bought 4 SDM lenses over the last 4+ years, and only recently read that SDM had been an issue. I suspect that those who know about them are a small part of the Ricoh/Pentax market for lenses.

Having bought those lenses, (one of which "hunted" when new and was immediately replaced), I keep using them and they keep working. My DA* 60-250mm f/4 and DA* 300mm f/4 suffer treatment that I should be prosecuted for, yet continue to work without complaint. (So far!)
08-29-2013, 01:11 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noVICE Quote
It is also encouraging to see an updated lens roadmap. I recall in years gone by these things were rarely revised or even published for that matter.
I agree with what you say about updating the published roadmap. But there haven't been dramatic changes in the last one and half years.

I've just counted the lenses on the January 2012, December 2012, and August 2013, roadmaps. They all show the same number of lenses with essentially the same focal lengths. (34, including the Teleconverter. Unless I've miscounted!).

What differs are details: forecast lenses on old roadmaps replaced by launched lenses on new ones; old lenses replaced by new (previously unforecast) models such as the HD Limiteds; and the forecast "DA* Zoom" replaced by a "DA Zoom". Focal length ranges appear to stay the same, except that the vague ranges for forecast lenses gets replaced by accurate ranges for launched lenses, compatible with the forecast ranges.

EDIT: For information, the same applies to the Q-mount roadmaps: the January 2012 and the May 2013 roadmaps have the same 9 lenses on: 5 launched and 4 forecast on the old roapmap, and 7 launched and 2 forecast on the new roadmap.

Last edited by Barry Pearson; 08-29-2013 at 01:23 AM.
08-29-2013, 03:50 AM   #60
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
I'm a bit disappointed by the 'downgrading' of the zoom to a straight DA lens. I was hoping to be able to replace my 16-50 with it. Nice to see the limited zoom is still there - I assume this will be HD.
Likewise - will be bitterly dissapointed with another middle of the road DA lens - we have 18-270 and 18-135 and whatever else. My wonderful DA*50-135 wants a little brother - so common Pentax, Ricoh - hire a hotel room and get busy!