Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
08-28-2013, 03:27 AM   #1
Inactive Account

new roadmap

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/japan/products/lens/images/K_Mount_Lens.pdf

minor differences. DA* zoom has become a DA zoom and the HD Limiteds and the FA limiteds have been added to the list
I guess this is a good thing, they are standing by the decision to produce 4 new zooms and a TC

08-28-2013, 03:47 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
i wish they would hurry up the TC
08-28-2013, 03:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm a bit disappointed by the 'downgrading' of the zoom to a straight DA lens. I was hoping to be able to replace my 16-50 with it. Nice to see the limited zoom is still there - I assume this will be HD.

The telezoom and the 1.4x convertor have been on the list for so long now that them still being on there isn't exactly a sign that Ricoh are sticking by them.

Out of those lenses I would think on the DA zoom and the ltd zoom most likely to get announced alongside a new body in September. Although this doesn't make it a dead cert by any stretch.
08-28-2013, 03:52 AM   #4
Inactive Account

All the new DA Ltd and silver FA's look great, but...

Four new DA zoom lens... Isn't DA lower grade then DA* lens in Pentax lens hierarchy?

08-28-2013, 04:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

new roadmap

QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote

Four new DA zoom lens... Isn't DA lower grade then DA* lens in Pentax lens hierarchy?
Yup. It is.

Except when followed by the word "Limited" (which means "metal construction, as high optical quality and as high build quality as the DA*, highly compact, no SDM, no WR").

Although the AL/J/ED/DC/WR and other lens-related alphabet soup is confusing and doesn't really indicate a clear "hierarchy"
08-28-2013, 04:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Well, considering the most expensive lens in the entire line-up is not a DA* but a DA, i.e. the DA560/5.6, I wouldn't exclude a worthy DA* grade DA*16-50/2.8 replacement with DA designation...

Wim
08-28-2013, 04:14 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Not necessarily, HD DA 560/5.6 AW is a high grade lens, and maybe Pentax will switch using DA AW on future lenses instead of DA*?

08-28-2013, 04:15 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Well, considering the most expensive lens in the entire line-up is not a DA* but a DA, i.e. the DA560/5.6, I wouldn't exclude a worthy DA* grade DA*16-50/2.8 replacement with DA designation...

Wim
After all the SDM problems it wouldn't surprise me if they started using something else than DA* for the top lenses.
08-28-2013, 04:17 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
Yup. It is.

Except when followed by the word "Limited" (which means "metal construction, as high optical quality and as high build quality as the DA*, highly compact, no SDM, no WR").

Although the AL/J/ED/DC/WR and other lens-related alphabet soup is confusing and doesn't really indicate a clear "hierarchy"
Yes, but there is only one Limited DA zoom coming up.. And it looks pretty much in the same focal range as the new sigma 18-35.. I have high expectations for this lens.

Also, isn't all DA lens for APSC cameras?
08-28-2013, 04:27 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I would not be too surprised if they eventually will get completely rid of the * (star) designation. In today's information age, using wildcards in names is not that smart
08-28-2013, 04:31 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dankoBanana Quote
(...) the FA Limiteds have been added to the list
(...)
The FA Limited lenses have been on the roadmap since a long time. They were on the early 2012 roadmap, on the one shown at Photokina, on the one shown at CES, etc.
08-28-2013, 04:32 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote

Wim
Oh, rats, I'd forgotten about the DA 560 - which introduces also "AW" to the alphabet soup....will the madness ever end?

I like order and system - Pentax lens lineup really isn't quite.

FA Limited: "excellent quality, metal build, fast primes, cover 135"
DA Limited: "excellent quality, metal build, compact primes, at the expense of speed, cover APS-C"

So far, that's rather clear (although I'd love to see a few more FA Limited come out, being addicted to "fast primes")....but besides that...

DA*: would be nice if that meant sealed, SDM, excellent optical quality, pro mechanical quality, f/2.8 and cover 135 (i.e., "the professional & photojournalist series")....the SDM problems, the 60-250/4 and 300/4 and such kinda-sorta breaks that logic, as does the existence of the 560 as a non-DA* break that - that's a lens that is aimed at "professionals" only.

DA: would be nice if that was the consumer-range of DA*, i.e., no SDM, less sealed, perhaps less sturdy construction, perhaps less fast (etc)....but the 10-17 FE kinda break that, the DA17-50 and DA18-270 are SDM, and the DA560 *really* breaks that and the 14/2.8 sorta-kinda breaks that (too expensive, fast, to be usually considered a "consumer lens", I'd wager).

Then, there's D-FA, which ipso facto means "macro lenses" in the lineup (but that wasn't the original intent of that designation, IIRC), the 100/2.8 of which is somewhere between DA (lack of SDM), DA* (WR, excellent optical quality) and FA Limited (metal construction)....

Pentax really couldn't have made their lens lineup any /less/ readable and clear - I find that somewhat unfortunate, especially for "new" entrants to the system.
08-28-2013, 04:35 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Yes, but there is only one Limited DA zoom coming up.. And it looks pretty much in the same focal range as the new sigma 18-35.. I have high expectations for this lens.

Also, isn't all DA lens for APSC cameras?
Yes. The DA Limited zoom is an outlier also. I'm sure that it'll be a wonderful lens, but given that a zoom almost always is an optical compromise and a more voluminous construction, it's a little contradictory to have it appear as a "DA Limited" (which, to me, means "compact and uncompromized optical quality")
08-28-2013, 04:35 AM   #14
Veteran Member

new roadmap

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I would not be too surprised if they eventually will get completely rid of the * (star) designation. In today's information age, using wildcards in names is not that smart
Oh, if that was the only problem in Pentax' lens lineup and naming scheme
08-28-2013, 04:43 AM - 1 Like   #15
Forum Member

How bad can it get for a single lens, HD Pentax-D FA* L WR Macro Limited AW 18-35mm F1.8-2.0 ED AL [IF] SDM XS? My god, I'd buy that for the name alone. On a second thought they ruined it with the plastic mount.