Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2013, 04:45 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jiimaa Quote
How bad can it get for a single lens, HD Pentax-D FA* L WR Macro Limited AW 18-35mm F1.8-2.0 ED AL [IF] SDM XS? My god, I'd buy that for the name alone. On a second thought they ruined it with the plastic mount.
You *sure* you can't squeeze DC in there also? 3 different focus drive systems in a single lens, is that too much to ask?

08-28-2013, 04:51 AM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Ran out of lens circumference to write on, must save it for the F1.2-1.4 model, but I'll take the L out from that. Best I can do is J. No wait, was that worst...
08-28-2013, 05:01 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dankoBanana Quote
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/japan/products/lens/images/K_Mount_Lens.pdf

minor differences. DA* zoom has become a DA zoom and the HD Limiteds and the FA limiteds have been added to the list
I guess this is a good thing, they are standing by the decision to produce 4 new zooms and a TC
Thanks for your post ... J
08-28-2013, 05:11 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
The DA Limited zoom is an outlier also. I'm sure that it'll be a wonderful lens, but given that a zoom almost always is an optical compromise and a more voluminous construction, it's a little contradictory to have it appear as a "DA Limited" (which, to me, means "compact and uncompromized optical quality")
I'm still expecting that lens to be a rework of the FA 20-35/4,
which is indeed a compact lens of good optical quality, by all reports.

08-28-2013, 05:15 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Although the AL/J/ED/DC/WR and other lens-related alphabet soup is confusing and doesn't really indicate a clear "hierarchy"
Except for J (= "junior" or "junk" ),
the other acronyms are not intended to imply any hierarchy,
and have quite specific technical meanings:

AL = "aspheric lens"
ED = "extra dispersion"
DC = "direct current" ?
WR = "weather resistant"
08-28-2013, 05:17 AM   #21
Pentaxian

They don't list the non-WR and DA-L versions of the kit lenses. Probably means nothing but it shows in which basket they're putting their eggs.
08-28-2013, 05:23 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote

AL = "aspheric lens"
ED = "extra dispersion"
DC = "direct current" ?
WR = "weather resistant"
I guess that that's an incomplete list:

AW = "All Weather"
HD = "High Definition"
SDM = "Sonic Drive ..."

SDM and DC are incompatible (and I assume that one is "better" than another?); same for WR and AW? -- so I think that there is a hierarchy, yes?

Also, there's DA, DA* D-FA, FA - surely there's something to be said among those?

DA* vs DA+WR?

As I said, Pentax has made a mess of an alphabet soup and a mess of a lens-lineup. It's hard (without doing a /lot/ of research first, something only enthusiasts would do) to know what one gets when buying a given lens.....or, if buying a lens, to be sure if one has gotten the "best" lens of that range.

I suggest that this "mess" and "lack of clarity" is a disadvantage for Pentax vs. the "general public" (not so much to folks that frequent PF, given the wonderful lens database here )

08-28-2013, 05:24 AM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
They don't list the non-WR and DA-L versions of the kit lenses. Probably means nothing but it shows in which basket they're putting their eggs.
Well, on that....am I alone in longing for the days when a "kit lens" meant a "high quality, fast 50mm", and not "a piece of plastic to throw at eBay as soon as possible"?
08-28-2013, 05:27 AM   #24
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote

AL = "aspheric lens"
ED = "extra dispersion"
DC = "direct current" ?
WR = "weather resistant"
L = ...ummh..lousy? Lesser? Lousy low-end lump for less $$$?
SDM = Something doesn't move, eh?

What's the difference of WR & AW? I nominate a new acronym for both, Resistant to All Weathers, Rains and Stuff, and More, all Stinky and Sticky Situations, or RAWRS<3 for short. That'd show the competition Ricoh means business.
08-28-2013, 05:45 AM   #25

DA*: would be nice if that meant sealed, SDM, excellent optical quality, pro mechanical quality, f/2.8 and cover 135 (i.e., "the professional & photojournalist series")....the SDM problems, the 60-250/4 and 300/4 and such kinda-sorta breaks that logic, as does the existence of the 560 as a non-DA* break that - that's a lens that is aimed at "professionals" only.
You know, it's been almost a year since they fixed the SDM flaws...
08-28-2013, 05:56 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mazhe Quote
You know, it's been almost a year since they fixed the SDM flaws...
Oh, I know. I have 4 SDM lenses, none of which have missed a beat. Still, the message of problems prevails.

Doesn't detract from the point that I was trying to make, though: that it's a confusing lineup
08-28-2013, 06:37 AM   #27
JPT
Pentaxian

Yes. The DA Limited zoom is an outlier also. I'm sure that it'll be a wonderful lens, but given that a zoom almost always is an optical compromise and a more voluminous construction, it's a little contradictory to have it appear as a "DA Limited" (which, to me, means "compact and uncompromized optical quality")
If the zoom follows the same compromises as the rest of the DA Ltd series, it will sacrifice aperture, WR and SDM for being very small, well made and having excellent optical quality. I think this will be very different from the Sigma 18-35 lens. I see it as a being like the F35-70 but with a focal length adjusted for APS-C and made of metal. It could be a very unique and desirable lens. My guess is the aperture range will be 3.5-4.5 and it will be not much bigger than the DA35 f2.8.

I think they may have changed the zoom to DA just to manage expectations. When they showed it as DA*, it was assumed by many that it was a constant f2.8 and they'll probably be disappointed if it is not. In any case, it seems that updates of existing lenses are not going to be shown on these roadmaps, so the DA* lenses could be updated at any moment.
08-28-2013, 06:52 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Oh, I know. I have 4 SDM lenses, none of which have missed a beat. Still, the message of problems prevails.
Same here.

(I did have to send the DA* 55mm f/1.4 back by return because it "hunted" from delivery. Perhaps that was an SDM problem? But apart from that, not a problem that wasn't really to do with the camera's speed and accuracy of autofocus).
08-28-2013, 06:57 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I think they may have changed the zoom to DA just to manage expectations. When they showed it as DA*, it was assumed by many that it was a constant f2.8 and they'll probably be disappointed if it is not. In any case, it seems that updates of existing lenses are not going to be shown on these roadmaps, so the DA* lenses could be updated at any moment.
I wonder why people assumed f/2.8? Half of the DA* lenses are not f/2.8. (I have those 3, and not the 3 that are f/2.8).

(I felt that f/2.8 would make the lens too big and heavy. I would have been pretty happy with f/3.5, and would have accepted f/4).
08-28-2013, 07:28 AM   #30
Pentaxian

A rather "low profile" up-date.

Considering the 2011 or 2012 needs / expressions of the PENTAX Forums readers :

No more fix focal ambitions, whilst competitors continue rushing to fast primes and pancakes ?

No more FF body whereas it is said to be still under development ? Or will it not be K-mounted ?

Let's hope they have kept the best for later, but not years on.