Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2013, 09:19 PM   #211

Can ricoh even legally use the trapezoidal asahi optical co logo shaped d rings? We need men on the ground to figure this out, stat!!

09-16-2013, 09:22 PM   #212
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
That's what I want! That's what I wished the MX-1 was....
Yeah, it was a travesty to call that camera an MX-1 as it was a cheap attempt to exploit loyalty presenting a product which had absolutely nothing in common with the original. I had an MX and an LX for years and those cameras are where the reference points should be for mine.
09-16-2013, 09:27 PM   #213
Veteran Member

new roadmap

QuoteOriginally posted by bibz Quote
Can ricoh even legally use the trapezoidal asahi optical co logo shaped d rings? We need men on the ground to figure this out, stat!!
We're those the trapezoidal D-rings that had a little internal notch, and only came with chrome plating? I would hope that - regardless of trapezoidal or circular - if Pentax releases new D-rings they will at least remain compatibility with earlier lugs (so no messing with diameters here, although that may be a challenge if we expect compatibility with coming and heavier 645D gear) and definitely a better and more robust coating. Nothing tarnishes a "look" as much as d-rings with worn coatings.

But, did we ever decide if they will go with fixes full-strap lugs or d-rings?

(Doing my part to making this thread even weirder....)
09-16-2013, 09:27 PM   #214
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Yeah, it was a travesty to call that camera an MX-1 as it was a cheap attempt to exploit loyalty presenting a product which had absolutely nothing in common with the original. I had an MX and an LX for years and those cameras are where the reference points should be for mine.
I totally agree. When I first heard about the MX-1 I pictured a large OMD EM5 like device with a K mount that said MX-1 on the plate. then when I saw a the Panasonic looking thing with metal plates I was kind of confused. I bought one, kept it for a few weeks, but just didn't get along with it.

09-17-2013, 12:20 AM   #215
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm wondering if offering the HD Ltds in both black and silver as standard options indicates that we might be getting colour options on the putative K-3? If so maybe a retro style camera in all black or black and silver.
09-17-2013, 12:27 AM   #216
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
I'm wondering if offering the HD Ltds in both black and silver as standard options indicates that we might be getting colour options on the putative K-3? If so maybe a retro style camera in all black or black and silver.
I believe that was what everyone thought of immediately.
Pentax users, especially long time users, have a very developed mental picture of what a good and imaginative Pentax camera may look like, and I do hope for Ricoh's sake that they think along those same lines.
09-17-2013, 12:35 AM   #217
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
I believe that was what everyone thought of immediately.
Pentax users, especially long time users, have a very developed mental picture of what a good and imaginative Pentax camera may look like, and I do hope for Ricoh's sake that they think along those same lines.
Simply replicating the LX as much as possible would do that - with a well designed grip you could have both a compact DSLR for street, candid, art etc photography and one more balanced with longer lenses, battery life etc suitable for nature, wildlife and outdoor photography.

As much as I like the retro styling of Fuji's line there's something to be said for a real pentaprism bump from an aesthetic point of view.

09-17-2013, 08:46 PM   #218
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
Simply replicating the LX as much as possible would do that - with a well designed grip you could have both a compact DSLR for street, candid, art etc photography and one more balanced with longer lenses, battery life etc suitable for nature, wildlife and outdoor photography.
The LX is somehow in Pentax users' minds because, I presume, it was the closest thing to a professional camera ever produced by Pentax. In reality it was a niche product. However, is that body approach indeed the ideal start for a new digital camera?

I doubt it. The LX is almost 25% heavier than the ME Super, and is bigger too. Considering that a modern digital camera is a different product anyway, I think Pentax product designers can borrow from many models of the brand's past and build something new.

Last edited by Uluru; 09-17-2013 at 10:01 PM.
09-17-2013, 09:20 PM   #219
Veteran Member

Well it's "etched" in my mind because I had one way back in the day.

Here's an old Polaroid (that's me top right) where you can see me with my LX, with sports finder, motor drive and 28mm Shift Lens.

1984 I believe.
09-18-2013, 03:40 AM   #220
Veteran Member

The LX is somehow in Pentax users' minds because, I presume, it was the closest thing to a professional camera ever produced by Pentax. In reality it was a niche product. However, is that body approach indeed the ideal start for a new digital camera?

I doubt it. The LX is almost 25% heavier than the ME Super, and is bigger too. Considering that a modern digital camera is a different product anyway, I think Pentax product designers can borrow from many models of the brand's past and build something new.
I don't disagree but I think it's used as a shortcut for describing an aesthetically attractive, retro design, combined with high end features - rather than something people want carbon copied. It wouldn't have to look exactly like an LX but follow those principles. Whereas an ME Super would be the above but lower specced.

New materials might make it lighter but size and weight are bound to be somewhat higher due to all the digital elements not present in a film camera.

The LX was also innovative with changeable viewfinders and off film exposure. I think people just hark back to when Pentax was perceived as being more at the leading edge.
10-09-2013, 01:46 AM   #221
Pentaxian

New K-mount roadmap on Ricoh Imaging's website:

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/japan/products/lens/images/K_Mount_Lens.pdf

Compared to the former one, HD Pentax-DA 55-300 mm f/4-5,8 ED WR replaces smc Pentax-DA 55-300 mm f/4-5,8 ED.

10-09-2013, 01:58 AM   #222
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks! I've updated the Roadmap Archive (with all roadmaps since 2005) in the Lens section:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/237952-pentax-...ve-2005-a.html
10-23-2013, 05:42 AM   #223

Photos: Gallery
I was actually quite surprised by the specs, and asked whether the specs are correct. And I was reassured they were.
Yes, it is somewhat similar in specs to that new Oly lens, but better.
Uluru, is there any patent filled for it? Do you have any other information? In what stage of development is the lens?
10-23-2013, 02:19 PM   #224
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
New K-mount roadmap on Ricoh Imaging's website:

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/japan/products/lens/images/K_Mount_Lens.pdf

Compared to the former one, HD Pentax-DA 55-300 mm f/4-5,8 ED WR replaces smc Pentax-DA 55-300 mm f/4-5,8 ED.
The DA 18-135mm WR would be a good candidate for the next HD batch, wouldn't it ?
10-23-2013, 03:23 PM   #225
rlatjsrud

Few lenses, no renewal, and expensive...