Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2008, 10:36 AM   #16

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Gruoso, excuse me for using an old analogy of mine, but your posts reminds me of the countless articles predicting that Apple would be dead by the begining of the XXI century.

Predicting the future in the world of electronics is a tricky business, and the losers of yesterday can be the winners of tomorrow.

In the mean time, the guys running the best photography shop in my city (which sells loads of Canikons too) are fully convinced that the K10D is the best deal by far in dSLR at the moment, and they just bought 80 kits more as they think it will sell good for a longtime.

03-25-2008, 11:07 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Good call!

QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
Since I know that there are some fans of esoterism among the VIP pentax users. I will look through my crystal ball. Once the samsung, Canon XSI, Sony A350, hit the market for good (even if the Canon and Sony are "lower" level dslr); Canon releases their rebates for the 5d and 40d in the US; and Dpreview through a (Just) highly recommended valoration, I can see the sales for the K200and K20 dropping big time. Pentax executives will panic and the michigan lady will dissapear till the next announcement. After that first moment of panic the K20d will be next to 1000 (I will say in 2 months from now). Then Photokina will come and a nikon 90D will appear, Samsung/pentax will shoot their own foot and will announce a new slightly higher level camera, and then the K20d will be going for 900 (that will be in fall). Then christmas rebates and the camera will go for about 800 in December. At that price, the K20D will be one of the biggest steals ever and Hoya's executives will start to reconsider the 5 years period of grace for the camera division. In 2010 the sky will fall and Pentax camera division will be sold. Samsung will be the K-mount saviour, your NDA friends will be praising another products that pay better (Sony for fashion?) and Hoya/Pentax will be doing lenses under Schneider and Pentax name.
My crystal ball isn't as clear as yours but the same general story is coming through except there seems to be a vapor barrier over the high end model. Do you see the mod of people including some Samsung executives in the background shouting about wanting a lightweight small $400-$500 DSLR? The Pentax executives look like they are trying to ignore them right up to the time Hoya gives up and dumps Pentax.

Regards,
Ken

P.S. Thanks again for selling me your A 200 f4. I really enjoy it.

Last edited by regken; 03-25-2008 at 11:13 AM.
03-25-2008, 11:18 AM   #18
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by cateto Quote
Gruoso, excuse me for using an old analogy of mine, but your posts reminds me of the countless articles predicting that Apple would be dead by the begining of the XXI century.

Predicting the future in the world of electronics is a tricky business, and the losers of yesterday can be the winners of tomorrow.

In the mean time, the guys running the best photography shop in my city (which sells loads of Canikons too) are fully convinced that the K10D is the best deal by far in dSLR at the moment, and they just bought 80 kits more as they think it will sell good for a longtime.
Amigo mio, your country is the same than mine and it is true, the K10d is (was) the best bang for the buck by far. Only problem is that Hoya doesnt seem to share the low-profit policy than allow Pentax prices go that low "without" consequences. The K20d is not the best bang for the buck today. It is a fair priced camera with limitations than other cameras at the same level doesnt share and advantages that (I hope) pentax will always have (compatibility with older lenses, true weather sealing, SR...). Now, not being an informatic expert, Apple survived because the inestability of Windows system in comparison to the reliability of Macs. I dont see the competence of Pentax being as negligent as Microsoft was with windows, and Pentax is not characterized for being a boombproof system that will never fail (see 16-50 for reference). Said that, I dont know if what I wrote will happen, it is just my opinion.
03-25-2008, 11:43 AM   #19
Veteran Member

OT (a bit)

QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
Amigo mio, your country is the same than mine and it is true, the K10d is (was) the best bang for the buck by far. Only problem is that Hoya doesnt seem to share the low-profit policy than allow Pentax prices go that low "without" consequences. The K20d is not the best bang for the buck today. It is a fair priced camera with limitations than other cameras at the same level doesnt share and advantages that (I hope) pentax will always have (compatibility with older lenses, true weather sealing, SR...). Now, not being an informatic expert, Apple survived because the inestability of Windows system in comparison to the reliability of Macs. I dont see the competence of Pentax being as negligent as Microsoft was with windows, and Pentax is not characterized for being a boombproof system that will never fail (see 16-50 for reference). Said that, I dont know if what I wrote will happen, it is just my opinion.
To be a bit fair (though there is plenty of blame at m$) a lot of the instability was due to "backward compatibility" of the OS AND 3rd party programmers/parts designers basically ignoring MS to program "their way". Some due to just being lazy, others due to not wanting to pay the piper...
I care to guess that a lot of problems Pentax face has to do w/ compatability issues much like MS did/does.......
Unfortunately throwing this out (ala Canon) and going w/ lenses w/ full communication and electronic aperatures is somewhat out of the question.......

03-25-2008, 11:50 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I'm patting myself on the back for knowing what is happening now would indeed happen. I hit the nail on th ehead almost to the dollar - Now if I could only find that old thread
03-25-2008, 12:21 PM   #21
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
My crystal ball isn't as clear as yours but the same general story is coming through except there seems to be a vapor barrier over the high end model. Do you see the mod of people including some Samsung executives in the background shouting about wanting a lightweight small $400-$500 DSLR? The Pentax executives look like they are trying to ignore them right up to the time Hoya gives up and dumps Pentax.

Regards,
Ken

P.S. Thanks again for selling me your A 200 f4. I really enjoy it.
It is not all clear Ken, I was just pretending to know what I was speaking about. I think that Samsung is using Pentax as a teacher in camerology while they are looking at Sony experiments to dont fall in the same mistakes. I agree with you about the small dslr issue. Samsung can produce enought of them at a low-price and be profitable or even if they are not they can afford to loose money to get the market share that small dslrs can provide.

BTW, you dont know how much I am missing that lens. I have gone through several 200s and none of them gave the weight/IQ ratio (the Zeiss Sonnar I had was better optically but the weight killed me)
03-25-2008, 05:22 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
I'm patting myself on the back for knowing what is happening now would indeed happen. I hit the nail on th ehead almost to the dollar - Now if I could only find that old thread
I can't reach my back ('cause my ancient elbow would hurt), but I am feeling smug. I've mentioned on a couple of other threads that manufacturers can't dictate price (if I could just find those threads) - the market (supply vs. demand) does. Looks like the market has already started laying down the law.

Jer

03-26-2008, 09:52 PM   #23

still dropping. . .

went from 1177 -> 1173 -> 1157 -> 1153
03-27-2008, 12:51 AM   #24
Veteran Member

So I gave in and bought the K20D. The thing should arrive here tomorrow (thanks to the Prime system).
03-27-2008, 05:12 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Latest K20D price at Amazon....

Amazon.com = $1,119 now!

Amazon.com: Pentax K20D 14.6MP Digital SLR Camera with Shake Reduction (Body Only): Camera & Photo

Alex
03-27-2008, 05:44 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It looks like Willoughby's (Amazon) is leading the charge to fined what Jer (Sailor) referred to as the "Sweet spot", a price that gives you the most profit and still generate volume. Judging by the poll on this forum they are still at least $120 above it.

Regards,
Ken
03-27-2008, 06:53 PM   #27
Forum Member

Pentax K20D 14.6 Megapixel BODY ONLY!!! - eBay (item 200211443527 end time Mar-27-08 18:49:54 PDT)

Check the above currently on Ebay.

Rg.
03-27-2008, 06:55 PM   #28
Forum Member

Pentax K20D 14.6 Megapixel BODY ONLY!!! - eBay (item 200211443527 end time Mar-27-08 18:49:54 PDT)

Check the above currently on Ebay.

Rg.

Sorry just sold on the Buy Now for $950.00
03-27-2008, 07:23 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skamaraju Quote
I am a bit disappointed too. I thought the price would not come down in another 3months and took the plunge. Now dell has it for 1169$ without tax and I have 250$ coupan in Dell. Pentax should do something about this and offer us, early birders Gift certificates. Any body from Pentax listensing???
I am sure you are joking right? I bought my k10d the very first day it was available in my state, for the full list price. I never regretted buying it for that price EVER. One year after I bought my first k10d, I bought a second body for less than 1/2 as much as my first one. I figure I still got a deal on both cameras on average. It is just a fact of life that if you buy something as soon as it hits the streets you are going to be paying more than if you wait. That is the price to pay for the early play.
03-27-2008, 07:43 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bought the K20D first day it was available. It may be cheaper now. Don't regret buying it one bit. Wouldn't want to give all the pics back that it has allowed me to take.
Afraid a lot of cameras will be dropping in price in the US. The economy is going thru a slow period and people aren't buying as much. Companies will try to up sales any way possible.
thanks
barondla