Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2013, 01:02 PM   #136
Pentaxian
Wired's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton, AB
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,494
Depending on what the new cam is I'm prepares to spend upto $3000 on it. But like I said, depending on what it is



09-11-2013, 01:05 PM   #137
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 8,436
For an APS-C camera, $3000 is quite a lot
09-11-2013, 01:55 PM   #138
Pentaxian
Wired's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton, AB
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,494
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
For an APS-C camera, $3000 is quite a lot
As I said.... depending on what it is

If they "copied" the old em5 idea and gave us a true digital MX/LX I'd pay upto $1500 for apsc and $3000 for FF depending on spec.

Actually any solid K5 upgrade would be 1500 max for me
09-11-2013, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #139
Pentaxian
Uluru's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Back to my Walkabout Creek
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,400
I always believed it would be good for everyone's mental health and overall health of the photography industry to accept that in the future we may expect to see hi grade APS-C cameras being more expensive than low grade FF cameras. To base camera's value exclusively on its sensor size is artificial, and contrary to common sense.

09-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #140
Pentaxian
Wired's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton, AB
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,494
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
I always believed it would be good for everyone's mental health and overall health of the photography industry to accept that in the future we may expect to see hi grade APS-C cameras being more expensive than low grade FF cameras. To base camera's value exclusively on its sensor size is artificial, and contrary to common sense.
I 100% agree. People look at the D600 and say that it's driven down apsc. But aside from sensor the D600 is closer in feature set to our K50 than the K5. So I would pay close to D600 price for a camera that offers more advanced shooting features

09-11-2013, 02:38 PM   #141
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,557
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
Depending on what the new cam is I'm prepares to spend upto $3000 on it. But like I said, depending on what it is
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
For an APS-C camera, $3000 is quite a lot
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
As I said.... depending on what it is
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
I always believed it would be good for everyone's mental health and overall health of the photography industry to accept that in the future we may expect to see hi grade APS-C cameras being more expensive than low grade FF cameras. To base camera's value exclusively on its sensor size is artificial, and contrary to common sense.
Just looked into prices:

D600 body for 1469 euro
7D body for 1099 euro (down rescently from 1269 euro)
OMD-E-M1 for 1499 euro
K-5 II body for 815 euro

I think Pentax should not go into Olympus-route with pricing.
09-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #142
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,622
No 8D and no D400 yet. This should tell us that high end aps-c is a dying market. There will be good aps-c camera's to come but not for pro's they will have to shoot full frame or with a prosumer aps-c D7100, 70D, K-5 II, A77, NEX-7.
09-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #143
Pentaxian
Uluru's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Back to my Walkabout Creek
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,400
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
No 8D and no D400 yet. This should tell us that high end aps-c is a dying market....
Depends for who; for Nikon maybe, maybe for Canon too. But we don't know that yet. I can say it is certainly not dead for Pentax, and if Nikon and Canon both withdraw from that market, Pentax will hit it even harder and offer a viable choice.

To do that, Ricoh needs a more sophisticated AF and AF aids, designed specifically for the APS-C, maybe even innovative OVF/EVF crossbreed. And I suspect that they are designing a pro-level APS-C just because Nikon and Canon might abandon that market in favour of low grade FF.

09-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #144
Pentaxian
ChristianRock's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Marietta, GA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,050
Why would Nikon abandon the APS-C market? That's a bit of wishful thinking. As far as I know, the D3x00, D5x00 and D7x00 have all sold well. The D7000 was the D300 replacement, that's why there isn't a D400. Most people think of it (and the D7100) as high end APS-C, even if the specs are just a bit short on some aspects, it compensates for it in others.
For Canon - people are excited about the 70D and since the 7D is such a respected camera, I expect a 7D Mk II. It probably hasn't come out yet because the 7D still sells, and it has such powerful specs, they can only top it with a significantly upgraded sensor.
09-11-2013, 04:18 PM   #145
Pentaxian
Uluru's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Back to my Walkabout Creek
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,400
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
For Canon - people are excited about the 70D and since the 7D is such a respected camera, I expect a 7D Mk II. It probably hasn't come out yet because the 7D still sells, and it has such powerful specs, they can only top it with a significantly upgraded sensor.
Again, that is a Canon-specific issue; their sensor choices aren't as opulent as Nikon's (or Ricoh's). Thus Canon must compromise in different ways. What I find interesting in all this is that despite our efforts to quickly glimpse at the picture and describe it in one sentence, the picture is actually so detailed and complex, and full of quirks, that any broad generalisation doesn't work.
09-11-2013, 06:02 PM   #146
Pentaxian
Wired's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton, AB
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,494
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Just looked into prices:

D600 body for 1469 euro
7D body for 1099 euro (down rescently from 1269 euro)
OMD-E-M1 for 1499 euro
K-5 II body for 815 euro

I think Pentax should not go into Olympus-route with pricing.
You got to look at the actual value of the EM1 with all of its features and then compare it. The D600 does not have 1/8000 second shutter, does not have built in wifi, does not have in body stabilization, does not have as thorough weather sealing.. .and thats just off the stuff I read quickly. What are those features worth is up to you.

Myself personally, I would never buy a D600 again, if Pentax released a new ASP-C when I still had the D600 I would have sold it to get the "K3"
09-11-2013, 07:23 PM   #147
Site Supporter
Aristophanes's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,790
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Just looked into prices:

D600 body for 1469 euro
7D body for 1099 euro (down rescently from 1269 euro)
OMD-E-M1 for 1499 euro
K-5 II body for 815 euro

I think Pentax should not go into Olympus-route with pricing.
I think Olympus should not follow this pricing.
09-11-2013, 07:27 PM   #148
Site Supporter
Aristophanes's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,790
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
You got to look at the actual value of the EM1 with all of its features and then compare it. The D600 does not have 1/8000 second shutter, does not have built in wifi, does not have in body stabilization, does not have as thorough weather sealing.. .and thats just off the stuff I read quickly. What are those features worth is up to you.

Myself personally, I would never buy a D600 again, if Pentax released a new ASP-C when I still had the D600 I would have sold it to get the "K3"
1/8000 shutter is a rare need. Built in wi-fi is a rumour for the D610. Coming for all cameras anyway and seen in P&S's already. Nikon has a fleet of VR lenses and with that ISO advantage has less need.

If a camera is mostly about IQ and DOF control thenFF smacks the pants off the m4/3.

With the right lenses. This is kind of where the Oly falls down a bit as the FF Nikon range and aesthetic controls are well ahead of Olympus, even on price.
09-11-2013, 07:43 PM   #149
Pentaxian
Wired's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton, AB
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,494
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
1/8000 shutter is a rare need. Built in wi-fi is a rumour for the D610. Coming for all cameras anyway and seen in P&S's already. Nikon has a fleet of VR lenses and with that ISO advantage has less need.

If a camera is mostly about IQ and DOF control thenFF smacks the pants off the m4/3.

With the right lenses. This is kind of where the Oly falls down a bit as the FF Nikon range and aesthetic controls are well ahead of Olympus, even on price.
Thats just comparing the features of the two cameras. Sure you can get VR in heavy expensive lenses, but what about primes? sure you can get a dongle for wifi, but that is again, more cost.

For me, 1/8000 is very important, that was a major reason why I left the D800, and may go from EM5 to EM1. In the last year alone I have shot over 200 photos at 1/8000 shutter. even at iso 80. You need it if you like shoot at f1.4 to f2 in broad daylight without an ND, or in snowy conditions that refelect even more light.

This is why there are so many cameras to choose from, different needs for different people. If Pentax released a FF with 1/4000 and an APS-c with 1/8000 at the same time, I would buy the APS-C before the FF (in the end I would buy both, who am I kidding) but thats how important that feature is to me. Now, if the FF offered 1/4000 and a flash sync of 1/250 while the APSC was 1/8000 with the 1/160 flash sync... I have no idea which one I would buy first...
09-11-2013, 07:46 PM   #150
Pentaxian
carrrlangas's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cottbus (Berlin)
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,738
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
You need it if you like shoot at f1.4 to f2 in broad daylight without an ND
Why not use an ND filter?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
fps, fujitsu, gen, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, processor
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fujifilm X100 EXR Processor "reconfigurable processor" an FPGA? bwDraco Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 8 11-30-2013 10:29 PM
Is the image processor in Pentax K-r is good enough? dmnf Photographic Technique 10 05-15-2013 09:43 AM
New Pro NEX and the Pentax K-3 Belnan Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 17 09-16-2012 08:01 PM
New Pentax K-3 target... JohnBee General Talk 10 03-29-2012 09:21 AM
new computer processor! Gooshin General Talk 9 02-12-2008 12:07 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:49 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top