Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2013, 11:08 PM   #211
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Kadajawi, you seem to have your ideal paggage solved already. It is great that there will be a lot to solve in future. I'd love to have profiles for lightroom too. Let's see what we will have new in video department. What I'd love is more like ability to shoot longer videoclips(I do know that proper video cam would serve me lot better, but I can't afford for both . Ability to monitor sound and make adjustments so that I could usermy røde mic more optimum way. That would make my day.
Longer video clips... it depends on the 4 GB limit of FAT32. If Pentax gives us the chance to use exFAT (NTFS would be... going to far) that could be solved, though then still the Europeans would give us trouble cause of their "oh it can shoot video for longer than x minutes, it must be a videocamera and taxed higher" policy.

Proper video camera... Black Magic Production Camera 4K, the Canon C500, Sony VG10/VG30, ... yeah, those would be more to my liking, but otherwise I don't think a normal proper video camera would serve me better than a DSLR, especially my K-5. The only thing that will trouble me will be that my laptop just doesn't have nearly the horsepower to convert my videos to h264 while on holiday, and without I'll quickly run of HDD space... Maybe I'll have to drop the paranoid settings, or settle for bigger files and recompress yet again when home on my big computer. When an i5 with 4.5 GHz chucks along at 0.6 fps... imagine what a Core 2 Duo at 2.1 GHz will do The amounts of CPU power required to properly encode video to h264 are ridiculous, that's why I don't think it can be done properly in camera.

Don't worry, I'll always find new features I'd want. Maybe Pentax should hire me to give them ideas on how to improve their cameras

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Thought it could do this already ?
Nope. It does take photos in quick succession, but it needs to close and open the shutter again, the mirror also if not shooting in LiveView mode. What I am suggesting is more like taking a video, with 3 or more exposures at different exposure times, but without any pause in between. Just like you shoot video, and with the image stabilizer trying to keep exactly the same position throughout the whole process. As long as 3 RAW photos fit into the buffer it could work. Of course that means the sensor must be read out at full resolution that fast, I'm not sure if that can be done.

@carrrlangas: Read my f***ing post I am aware of braketing, and if you had read what I wrote you'd know that I'm aware of that and would like to speed up the process. If there is an exposure row of say 1/400, 1/100 and 1/20, it will take about a second or so the way it is now (and introduces shake by having the mirror slap frequently. I'd rather have it completed in 1/16th of a second (add up all the exposures, as if it was a video, by using the "digital shutter" or whatever it is called like), because you could probably still handhold it, without the need for a tripod. It would help with certain outdoor scenes. Say the sky is too bright, and you either get a white, overblown sky and the rest is properly exposed, or the sky is properly exposed and the rest is too dark. Now you could take the 3 exposures, create a 32 bit file out of them and put a gradient filter over the sky in Lightroom. I wouldn't mind if the camera would be able to create the 32 bit file itself, in some sort of 32 bit RAW/TIFF/OpenEXR, but just the RAW files would be fine too.

And I am aware that there is no free lunch, but for some of us that extra resolution... well, it doesn't really matter. If it means we can carry a cheaper, lighter lens (i.e. it enables us to actually own it, and for it to be not so big and bulky that we won't bring it along) then hell yeah do I want it. My Canon SX130 takes okayish photos, has a pretty wide range, from 28mm to something like 336mm or so in a small package. Canon won't let you shoot RAW with it... when I did shoot RAW photos with it though I knew why. ISO100 shots were noisy (but could easily, and better be corrected in Lightroom) and had some crazy vignetting/distortions at the widest setting. All corrected in post, no one would ever notice unless they shoot RAW. Now if Pentax were to design APS-C lenses, say an UWA, that is optimized to give good resolution, distortion free, in a small and lightweight packet, after the photo has been processed, then hell yeah. They could have it corrected in JPEG in the camera, and provide lens profiles for different common software so that the RAW files can be corrected in post, easily. For those with an old camera it has to be stated on the box that for the lens, to perform well and within specifications, needs to be used together with Lightroom, Aperture (?) or ... . They could even offer a bundle with Adobe where you can get Lightroom at a discounted price with the purchase of the lens.

These days computational photography gets more and more important. Nokia takes 41 MP photos and then allows you to zoom in (skipping a bulky zoom lens) and downsamples the pixels to a reasonable resolution, that has little noise. In my commercial work I often take at least 15 photos, sometimes way more than that and combine them into one photo. HDR panoramas. And if it would be easily possible in camera, I'd use that together with focus stacking (it would be awesome to control the camera through a smartphone app, letting you take a few measures via AF that gets recorded by the app, then letting the app calculate which aperture and which focus points are ideal for the stacking, and letting you do exposure braketing at the same time, perhaps even using the sensor shift position to increase the coverage. All in an easy to use, intuitive app.

@Sandy Hancock: But speculating and coming up with new features is fun, and who knows, perhaps someone at Pentax is taking notes?

10-04-2013, 11:51 PM   #212
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Nope. It does take photos in quick succession, but it needs to close and open the shutter again, the mirror also if not shooting in LiveView mode. What I am suggesting is more like taking a video, with 3 or more exposures at different exposure times, but without any pause in between. Just like you shoot video, and with the image stabilizer trying to keep exactly the same position throughout the whole process. As long as 3 RAW photos fit into the buffer it could work. Of course that means the sensor must be read out at full resolution that fast, I'm not sure if that can be done.
I don't expect multiple shots without open/close the shutter. There's a reason why a mechanical shutter is used and not an electronic one: Nikon used it in the past and that was not reliable it seems. Anyway they stopped that now and only use mechanical one.

As for the mirror, yes, it is clear that mirror up and down in this case serves no purpose at all.
10-05-2013, 12:07 AM   #213
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kadajawi, I hear you on this TAX-policy anou being video cam -> more tax. Damn. Maybe I would be willing to pay for it...
10-05-2013, 12:08 AM   #214
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Kadajawi, I hear you on this TAX-policy anou being video cam -> more tax. Damn. Maybe I would be willing to pay for it...
Ideally, Pentax would ship the cam as it is and let's the firmware be hacked to solve the problem
Everybody happy

10-05-2013, 12:13 AM   #215
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Ideally, Pentax would ship the cam as it is and let's the firmware be hacked to solve the problem
Everybody happy
Everyone, but our lovely tax-men.