Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 31 Likes Search this Thread
09-10-2013, 06:44 PM   #106
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I admit, this news about a new image processor finally got me excited about future Pentax and Ricoh prospects and opportunities. To me, this is the real news, not an updated flashgun (although that is nice too).

I can see Prime II and Prime M being replaced with the new processor, and some new possibilities coming out of its integration. Using a single processor across the range allows for cost cutting. I'm very excited about the processors's all new energy efficiency in particular.

I trust that means getting a lot more performance even using same batteries, then less heat dissipation, which allow for slimmer cameras, or, more power packed inside same shapes.

Also very excited about other manufacturers using it, Leica for example. It will allow them some new innovations and breakthroughs.

09-10-2013, 06:55 PM   #107
Veteran Member

Does anyone know how long the specs and development tools for a new processor are known in advance?

Don't get me wrong, having a new sensor announced is nice. But there must be a whole lot of development to be done once Fujitsu say it's available.

Therefore I would submit that the processor in the next camera might not be that one. Do we actually know the current processor in K-5II is the second newest?
09-10-2013, 07:02 PM - 1 Like   #108
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
Does anyone know how long the specs and development tools for a new processor are known in advance?
Don't get me wrong, having a new sensor announced is nice. But there must be a whole lot of development to be done once Fujitsu say it's available.
Therefore I would submit that the processor in the next camera might not be that one. Do we actually know the current processor in K-5II is the second newest?
Yes. The image processor manufacturer also depends on input from camera manufacturers interested in using it. If there's no good input, processor cannot be that good. The good specs and good performance is thus a result of mutual collaboration.
That is how the processor's manufacturer secures investment, orders and steady supply.
Very similar situation as with Apple working with Intel; introduction of a new Intel's chip is followed by a host of new products using it.
09-10-2013, 07:13 PM   #109
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nikon already has a custom design entity that works with Fujitsu on these same processors. One of the reasons why industry semi-standardizeson chips like this is partly cost, but also because they hardware integrate standards like JPEG, H.264, and so on.

09-10-2013, 08:19 PM   #110
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
I'm sure it will be a K5III with the same sensor and a new and faster AF
I get that this is humour, but in reality, a very accurate AF that would be consistent with all lenses is very likely the one feature that would increase the rate of my keepers. Most other "features" responsible for my lacklustre production are embedded within my brain.
09-11-2013, 12:53 AM   #111
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
I can see Prime II and Prime M being replaced with the new processor, and some new possibilities coming out of its integration. Using a single processor across the range allows for cost cutting. I'm very excited about the processors's all new energy efficiency in particular.
Ì don't think this is the plan. The PRIME M is for 12-bit entry level camera while the PRIME III would be the 14-bit toplevel camera's.
09-11-2013, 01:33 AM   #112
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Ì don't think this is the plan. The PRIME M is for 12-bit entry level camera while the PRIME III would be the 14-bit toplevel camera's.
Or maybe a 16-bit engine for the 645DII?
We don't know, but it is certainly cheaper to have one processor and its variants across lineup than three different engines. I think Prime M was a safety net or a temporary fix.
That modern cameras need a better, or best possible processor, doesn't need extra explanation: just look at the new iPhone. It has a brand new 64bit processor as its brain. Not a single camera manufacturer will ever come close to the software sophistication and ease of use of an iPhone.

09-11-2013, 02:13 AM   #113
Pentaxian

Clearly although the 64 bitness is more of a geeky specsheet than anything else at this point.
09-11-2013, 03:21 AM   #114
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess the new K3/K1 and 645DII can easily use the same processor. The 645 can and need the power to process those vast amount of pixels coming from a true 60x45 sensor while the K3/K1 needs it to give us the 7-10 fps (from FF sensor???) and some other features on our wishlist.
09-11-2013, 03:29 AM   #115
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by andre-mz5 Quote
I guess the new K3/K1 and 645DII can easily use the same processor. The 645 can and need the power to process those vast amount of pixels coming from a true 60x45 sensor while the K3/K1 needs it to give us the 7-10 fps (from FF sensor???) and some other features on our wishlist.
And we need it for the Q, to enable us 20 fps, 120 frames/sec HD video, etc.
Seriously, jokes aside, with this processor the GR would have been a totally different camera. I'm awaiting new compacts with this thing inside and 24MP imager more anxiously than a K-mount camera. A real answer to X100s, RX1, etc.
09-11-2013, 04:11 AM   #116
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by andre-mz5 Quote
The 645 can and need the power to process those vast amount of pixels coming from a true 60x45 sensor while the K3/K1 needs it to give us the 7-10 fps (from FF sensor???) and some other features on our wishlist.
Yep, although the real uncropped Pentax 645 neg image size is 56 × 41.5 ( 120 film - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )
09-11-2013, 04:27 AM   #117
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Much easier for Pentax to write firmware and software when they are dealing with just one processor going forward.
09-11-2013, 04:39 AM   #118

I have waited so long for this. It might finally be time to decommission my K7.
09-11-2013, 04:42 AM   #119
Forum Member

And see what image processing can do for a camera with a small sensor (who is still nagging about full frame?)
The 2013 Olympus OM-D E-M1 review, part two: some comparisons ? Ming Thein | Photographer

I hope Pentax can do as good as this.
09-11-2013, 06:29 AM - 3 Likes   #120
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wigelII Quote
And see what image processing can do for a camera with a small sensor (who is still nagging about full frame?)
The 2013 Olympus OM-D E-M1 review, part two: some comparisons ? Ming Thein | Photographer

I hope Pentax can do as good as this.
Pffffffft. If Pentax delivered a small sensor camera with kit lens for $2200 (as is this new Olympus) I could hear the laughing/jeering/yelling from here in Nebraska. But when Olympus does it, it is genius?