Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2013, 06:45 AM   #121
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cheekygeek Quote
Pffffffft. If Pentax delivered a small sensor camera with kit lens for $2200 (as is this new Olympus) I could hear the laughing/jeering/yelling from here in Nebraska. But when Olympus does it, it is genius?
Point taken but I think that E-M1 is $1700 with kit lens.

09-11-2013, 06:49 AM   #122
Forum Member

Pffffffft. If Pentax delivered a small sensor camera with kit lens for $2200 (as is this new Olympus) I could hear the laughing/jeering/yelling from here in Nebraska. But when Olympus does it, it is genius?
+1

Ricoh are working now to offer the best quality-price products.
The new APS-C is coming soon, with several and important improvements.
Less than one month....... Be patience.

09-11-2013, 06:50 AM   #123
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
We don't know, but it is certainly cheaper to have one processor and its variants across lineup than three different engines. I think Prime M was a safety net or a temporary fix.
In part they do that:

PRIME II: K-7/K-5/K-5II/K-5IIs and 645D
PRIME M: K-01/K-30/K-50/K-500 and probably next generation K-70/K-700/K-02
PRIME III: K-3/K-1/645DII

It looks like the specs gave the Ricoh GR also the PRIME M engine. So as long as you use such an electronic system (not only the processor, but the electronic lay-out) in some generations off camera's that makes it cheap enough.
09-11-2013, 06:55 AM   #124
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have heard the Oly EM-5 sold poorly, and that appears reflected in Olympus failing to meet their sales targets and very large losses in their camera and imaging division recently. Down at least 13% YOY (http://www.olympus-global.com/en/common/pdf/brief146PA.pdf)

They've had to limit sales, which is another way of saying it sold poorly, so they had to manufacture less. Elsewhere Oly talks of "personnel optimization" in Imaging. Losing people as they lose business. Not good.

The price:sensor size ratio is the m4/3 problem and the tactic of making a pro-grade, body in the EM-1 is the way Olympus is trying to address the sensor size disadvantage and retain their shrinking DSLR base who felt abandoned.

Will it work?

Frankly, I think sensor size concern is going to wipe the floor with all the other stuff Oly is throwing into the EM-1 design. They are doubling down, probably out of inertia. A $1399 m4/3 is going up against much cheaper (and not much smaller) DSLR's, like the K-50 and the D5200. I think too few people will pay that premium despite all the excellent reviews. It's a high-spec, smallish sensor, low value camera:

Compare camera dimensions side by side

And I really liked the design and feel of the EM-5. Olympus makes excellent glass. Oly has extremely competent, innovative engineering and a nice way of comprehensively packaging their system. But recent sales numbers are reflecting a poor strategy despite technical excellence. Over-engineered = over-priced = major losses.

Hardly genius to lose bucketloads of money.

09-11-2013, 07:16 AM   #125
Pentaxian

Better or same AF speed as CaNikon would be lovely, yeah it will still be APS-C.
09-11-2013, 07:17 AM   #126
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
I have heard the Oly EM-5 sold poorly, and that appears reflected in Olympus failing to meet their sales targets and very large losses in their camera and imaging division recently. Down at least 13% YOY (http://www.olympus-global.com/en/common/pdf/brief146PA.pdf)

They've had to limit sales, which is another way of saying it sold poorly, so they had to manufacture less. Elsewhere Oly talks of "personnel optimization" in Imaging. Losing people as they lose business. Not good.

The price:sensor size ratio is the m4/3 problem and the tactic of making a pro-grade, body in the EM-1 is the way Olympus is trying to address the sensor size disadvantage and retain their shrinking DSLR base who felt abandoned.

Will it work?

Frankly, I think sensor size concern is going to wipe the floor with all the other stuff Oly is throwing into the EM-1 design. They are doubling down, probably out of inertia. A $1399 m4/3 is going up against much cheaper (and not much smaller) DSLR's, like the K-50 and the D5200. I think too few people will pay that premium despite all the excellent reviews. It's a high-spec, smallish sensor, low value camera:

Compare camera dimensions side by side

And I really liked the design and feel of the EM-5. Olympus makes excellent glass. Oly has extremely competent, innovative engineering and a nice way of comprehensively packaging their system. But recent sales numbers are reflecting a poor strategy despite technical excellence. Over-engineered = over-priced = major losses.

But aren't flagship APS-C DSLRs going down that same road? See the Sony A3000, it's fantastic IQ and it's tiny price. Who in their right mind would spend anything on a DSLR with a kitlens whilst they could just as wel get a A3000 with some excellent glass for the same price? Imagine what happens when somebody markets an FF MILC.
09-11-2013, 07:17 AM   #127
Loyal Site Supporter

I have heard the Oly EM-5 sold poorly
You heard that did you? And just where did you hear that? It is still in the top 10 on Amazon.
Amazon Best Sellers: best Compact System Cameras

Do you have something better to go by than Amazon? The EP-5 has had lower than expected sales according to Olympus, but everything I have read has the OM-D selling very well.
09-11-2013, 07:31 AM   #128
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Do you have something better to go by than Amazon? The EP-5 has had lower than expected sales according to Olympus, but everything I have read has the OM-D selling very well.
A colleague off mine is using Olympus for sports. He has an E-5 (well he used three off them since he makes shiploads off images) and older camerabody's for back-up E-3, E-30 and 620, but all off them together are at the end off their lifetime. He tested the EM-5, but that camera was off no use for sports.

This EM1 should do the trick. He has excellent glass, but no m4/3th glass. So he is looking at the following. Never will there be an E-7 dslr from Olympus, a dead end. He should buy this EM1, two body's with one 12-40mm/f2.8 lens. So that will cost 3698 euro's or looking into Nikon or Canon and taking his losses on the lenses.

09-11-2013, 07:37 AM   #129
Loyal Site Supporter

You heard that did you? And just where did you hear that? It is still in the top 10 on Amazon.

Hard to say where it would rank if it was placed in a list versus standard SLRs. All of the cameras on that list look like they aren't top end sellers. I would love to know sales versus a camera like the D5200 or even D7100 from Nikon.
09-11-2013, 08:15 AM   #130
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

All units came in lower for Olympus according to their financials. Worse, their operating losses are accelerating. Most of the blame lies in the P&S decline but when you look at mirrorless unit sales it is obvious the entire Olympus mirrorless is having a problem. Actually, the only brand not having a problem in mirrorless is Sony.

I never said sales were a catastrophe. I said disappointing. Olympus (and most other manufacturers) sales projections were way off for 2012 Q3-4 and worse for 2013 Q1-2.

All in all, m4/3 is selling less units YOY. So flagship gets burned because fewer new entrants who will upgrade. And this new EM-1 is almost as large as a smallish DSLR.

My local chain said it has sold less than expected and they blame price. It sold itself right out of the gate because there are Olympus diehards, but after that sales went into a stall. Now the EM-1 comes in at a higher price. So Olympus is trying to make up lost revenues through higher prices but a larger form factor. We will see if this works or it paints Olympus into a corner.

One thing I think Olympus is doing that is alienating some in the market is too many models and too rapid turnover. This $1399 flagship is interesting, but $1399 obsolete in 24 months creates its own issues, especially given prospective PDAF on sensor getting even better.

Don't get me wrong; I admire their tech. But excellent spec cameras are not always market successes. By including a 43 adapter Olympus is gathering the flock in a storm. If a Sony NEX FF comes in below $2000, there's going to be problems.
09-11-2013, 08:30 AM   #131
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ricardoruca Quote
+1

Ricoh are working now to offer the best quality-price products.
The new APS-C is coming soon, with several and important improvements.
Less than one month....... Be patience.
If only I could believe that .
I am holding on to my K5 for too long.
Just because over and over again somebody claims that the replacement for the K5 will come soon.
But ...
09-11-2013, 08:34 AM   #132
Forum Member

This $1399 flagship is interesting, but $1399 obsolete in 24 months creates its own issues.
Still better than no flagship renewal at all.
09-11-2013, 09:27 AM   #133
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wigelII Quote
If only I could believe that .
I am holding on to my K5 for too long.
The cat is out of the bag for so long, nobody will be surprised when it will happen.
However, don't expect it to be cheap. We're talking about a flagship, after all.
09-11-2013, 12:32 PM - 2 Likes   #134
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The cat is out of the bag for so long, nobody will be surprised when it will happen.
However, don't expect it to be cheap. We're talking about a flagship, after all.
I never expected it to be cheap. I think it's a pity that so many people consider Pentax only becuase it's cheaper than ... They should buy Pentax because it are damn good camera's (at least that's what I think of the K5).
And like with all other products, if you want a lot, you pay a lot.
09-11-2013, 12:41 PM - 2 Likes   #135
Pentaxian

I fully agree; I demand quality and I'm ready to pay for it. We're not all cheapskates