Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2013, 05:22 AM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What makes this rumor believable to me is the lack of more details. If it had a whole lot more info then I would more strongly suspect it was made up. Regardless, sounds like October could be the month for announcement.

09-10-2013, 05:26 AM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Milbeaut and EXPEED | byThom | Thom Hogan
09-10-2013, 05:38 AM   #93
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
I'm sure you're right and those kind of specs have long been a good bet on a higher-level APS-C K series camera. One unknown, however, is on-sensor PDAF. Another could be whether Pentax introduce just one new camera or two. One to replace the K5 series at about that price and another one notch up. For example, the lower one could use a 20 mp sensor and the upper one could use a 24 mp sensor with lots of bells and whistles such as dual card slots, more focus points, et al. For myself, a really good 20 mp sensor in something very similar to a K5 design but with a new iteration of SAFOX would be plenty. The 16 mp sensor in the original K5 still produces amazing quality.
I agree. I find myself using the K-01 over my K-7 because although the K-7 is far superior in terms of ergonomics the K-01's sensor is just leagues better than the K-7's. I've been holding out upgrading the K-7 and the K-01 has been a good stop gap (and a bargain at £250, new).

We could see two higher-end cameras but I suspect this depends upon how seriously Ricoh is taking FF development - I would expect any FF camera to be as high end or higher end than any of their APS-Cs; only because they probably can't out price Canon, Nikon and Sony without loss leading and their installed user base are perhaps more likely to buy it if it gives advantages other than just a FF sensor. But this is going a little off-topic.

A K-3 could provide the electronics basis for a FF, in the same way than the K-5 did for the 645D.
09-10-2013, 05:55 AM   #94
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
If ....
  • the entire progress of the APS-C line,
  • establishing of possible parallel lines of compact large sensor cameras,
  • reducing of extra cost accumulated in maintaining of two different lines of image processors (one was invented because the other was too inadequate),
  • development of all the new possible FF solutions

.. was dependant on an endless wait for this new processor — that was announced just now — then hopefully, the endless dry period is finally over?

Now, let's look at the announcements, and let's check how really hard Ricoh was developing during the last year.

With this new amazing processor now available, I believe there are no more excuses left? Or, am I wrong? Am I too optimistic all of a sudden?

Last edited by Uluru; 09-10-2013 at 06:03 AM.
09-10-2013, 06:05 AM - 1 Like   #95
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
I agree. I find myself using the K-01 over my K-7 because although the K-7 is far superior in terms of ergonomics the K-01's sensor is just leagues better than the K-7's. I've been holding out upgrading the K-7 and the K-01 has been a good stop gap (and a bargain at £250, new).
I am in the exact same position I've kept using my K-7 without upgrading my DSLR because my K-01 fills the gap as far as the sensor. At lower ISO the K-7 is fine. I am ready though when something a little more than he K5ii is offered. I'm pretty sure I will keep using the K-01 too though it's grown on me.
09-10-2013, 06:11 AM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote

We could see two higher-end cameras but I suspect this depends upon how seriously Ricoh is taking FF development - I would expect any FF camera to be as high end or higher end than any of their APS-Cs; only because they probably can't out price Canon, Nikon and Sony without loss leading and their installed user base are perhaps more likely to buy it if it gives advantages other than just a FF sensor. But this is going a little off-topic.

A K-3 could provide the electronics basis for a FF, in the same way than the K-5 did for the 645D.

The K-01 I picked up takes better photos than my K-5. I don't know if it's the Prime M engine, the lack of mirror slap, or a combination of both, but it exposes scenes better and takes clearer imagery. I even think the SR seems to work better. The LV auto focus is certainly much better than the K-5. I do miss the viewfinder tho.

A K-01 with a viewfinder and on sensor PDFA would be a real winner. If anything, it's convinced me dump noisy and jolting mirror-boxes altogether. I now really want to see them gone.
09-10-2013, 07:07 AM   #97
Banned

A K-01 with a viewfinder and on sensor PDFA would be a real winner. If anything, it's convinced me dump noisy and jolting mirror-boxes altogether. I now really want to see them gone.
Same knife can be an instrument of a cold blooded murder, or a tool of delight in hands of a good chef.

09-10-2013, 07:13 AM   #98
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Oh, yeah, mocking Pentax for things that can only happen in your imagination. You're a true Pentaxian!
That's right, my friend... Aren't you too? -_-"..

Isn't Pentax all about that? Imagine and just imagine... Year after year... Carry on imagining...

QuoteOriginally posted by ricardoruca Quote
I feel that you have 0 trust in my words.
I can understand it. There is only a rumor.
Remember my nick. When Ricoh announced the K3, you can ask me some news about the FF prepared for the 2014.
LoL! We do trust you, but like i've said, the actual date is more important than just an announcement or whatever along that line..

Here's a scenario to help you understand:

1) 5 year old kid breaks something
2) Gets reprimanded by parents
3) Kid promises never to do it again...

Err... Do you SERIOUSLY believe that the kid can do that?
Nevertheless, parents will always have faith in their kid..
09-10-2013, 07:32 AM   #99
Veteran Member

I agree, not least because K-01 + DA 21mm is easier to carry on long walks than a K5 and all the trimmings, and I've found it attracts less attention on the street than a DSLR.
09-10-2013, 08:07 AM   #100
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

not least because K-01 + DA 21mm
Dynamite Combo that leaves my K5 in the dust most often.

I was out shooting on a beach with my spouse and K-01 and me with my k5. She uses custom filters and various mode adjustments while I shoot RAW+.
Now I can get more out of any image than her JPGs, but she has instant confirmation of her effects, exposure, etc.

This has rather changed my old "get it right in the camera" opinion,; there are many more ways to get it right now. ANd with a new processor, I will hope for more ways to come.

Lose the mirror and the slap happy mechanics, add an appropriate peephole for when live view is blinded by the light, increase the sensor size and there is a light, cheap category breaker.
09-10-2013, 08:40 AM   #101
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree, not least because K-01 + DA 21mm is easier to carry on long walks than a K5 and all the trimmings, and I've found it attracts less attention on the street than a DSLR.
K-x + DA 21 got me a query about it being mirrorless. Then I had the DA 40 on and someone actually thought it was a bridge camera.
09-10-2013, 09:05 AM   #102
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
What makes this rumor believable to me is the lack of more details. If it had a whole lot more info then I would more strongly suspect it was made up. Regardless, sounds like October could be the month for announcement.
Has to be (or end of September for that matter) if Ricoh / Pentax want to sell their K-something for Christmas.

QuoteOriginally posted by ricardoruca Quote
Hi,
I understand is difficult to believe. It's not official, but in one month you know who is telling lies or the truth.
Be patience.
Credo quia absurdum (Saint Augustine)
09-10-2013, 10:00 AM   #103
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
That's right, my friend... Aren't you too? -_-"..

Isn't Pentax all about that? Imagine and just imagine... Year after year... Carry on imagining...
Unlike others (and please understand that I'm talking about a general phenomenon), I try not to mock the people actually doing the job. I respect Pentax, they're not perfect but are capable of doing excellent photographic tools, well suited to my needs. And I'd rather use my imagination in other, more constructive ways.
There's nothing more to add on this subject. Have a nice day.
09-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #104
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm sure it will be a K5III with the same sensor and a new and faster AF
09-10-2013, 06:38 PM   #105

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
I'm sure it will be a K5III with the same sensor and a new and faster AF
Pentax cannot use the same sensor... again. The Pentax K-5 II wasn't much of an upgrade from the K-5. In my opinion not nearly enough of a jump to make me even think about upgrading from my K-5. I think if they do the same thing again it says a lot about Ricoh's plans for Pentax future, but I have more confidence in Pentax than that.