Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 32 Likes Search this Thread
09-06-2013, 03:13 AM   #136
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
Sometimes dedicated hardware is better than software... this is just one of those convenience things and with anything convenient you can expect to pay a premium - this isn't anything new or unusual.

Instead of having to manually take multiple photos, you have a single device that works with a single button press. Seems like a no-brainer to me.
Free app vs. $399

This is exactly the same thinking about value that is killing Nintendo and Blackberry and most of Sony electronics. This idea that consumers will pay hundreds of $$'s for a narrow use product.

09-06-2013, 03:15 AM   #137
Pentaxian

Nice integration and miniaturisation efforts anyway.

Photokina 2012 under the Pentax brand:

Picture source: Digital Camera Watch http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20120920_560918.html

CES 2013 under the Ricoh brand:

Picture source: gizmag Ricoh's 360-degree, one shot panoramic camera prototype - Images

And the final product:

09-06-2013, 03:28 AM   #138
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Free app vs. $399

This is exactly the same thinking about value that is killing Nintendo and Blackberry and most of Sony electronics. This idea that consumers will pay hundreds of $$'s for a narrow use product.
Not strictly true. Folks will indeed pay hundreds of $$ for a narrow-use product it if is of sufficient value to them. The DSLR camera is an example. A designer suit is another. A Dyson vacuum cleaner is a third. The question is whether what this product does is likely to prove sufficiently valuable to consumers. At $399 it's very hard to see, actually it's very hard to see at $3.99 given that an app and sweep mode will give you nearly the same results, though that might not be true for B2B.
09-06-2013, 03:38 AM   #139
Veteran Member

Which free app can generate spherical panoramas?
With which hardware (lens and sensor)?
How many pictures are needed?
How (well) is stitching performed?
Examples?

09-06-2013, 03:43 AM   #140
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I think it looks too much like a hammerhead shark
Exactly my thought!
09-06-2013, 03:54 AM   #141
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by froeschle Quote
Which free app can generate spherical panoramas?
With which hardware (lens and sensor)?
How many pictures are needed?
How (well) is stitching performed?
Examples?
How quickly before you tire of spherical shots whose quality compared to an APS-C or even 1" sensor is rough as a kangaroo's posterior? Ten? Maybe twenty? Well, a DA 15mm or a wider lens like the Sigma 8-16mm with a K5 and Hugin will give me extremely fine results. They won't be spherical though no doubt I can fisheye the results in software but are you really going to pay $399 to look at a circle instead of a rectangle? The photographer won't be in the picture of course if I use a conventional camera, but then what photographer save for an egomaniac wants to be in every picture they take? Of course I am playing Devil's advocate, but this item is a lot of money. As for apps, Google for stuff like "iPhone 360 panorama". The apps don't cost $399.
09-06-2013, 04:11 AM - 1 Like   #142
Veteran Member

This device is extremely useful in taking a single photo showing what is happening around a single position in a single moment in time.

Imagine doing behind-the-scenes shots of a movie/theatre set. Everyone going along their business - prop it up on a tripod, snap a shot from a distance and bang, there you have it.
You can't do that so easily with any sort of non-dedicated gear. With people moving around and perhaps even clouds and shadows adversely affecting multiple shots, it becomes less than simple to get rid of all the artefacts. And, its not like you're going to ask everyone to stand absolutely still (despite what those early Sony ads depicted).

This is a dedicated tool with special purposes. As with the lenses you see on the market, just because you may not have a use (or can find a use) for something like a 600mm lens, for example, doesn't mean it's a bad idea.

09-06-2013, 04:18 AM   #143
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by froeschle Quote
Is anyone able to see these pictures on a tablet? I have both Adroid and Apple tablets and cannot.
09-06-2013, 04:18 AM   #144
Pentaxian

I think Id rather buy a smartphone.
09-06-2013, 04:23 AM   #145
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
This device is extremely useful in taking a single photo showing what is happening around a single position in a single moment in time.

Imagine doing behind-the-scenes shots of a movie/theatre set. Everyone going along their business - prop it up on a tripod, snap a shot from a distance and bang, there you have it.
You can't do that so easily with any sort of non-dedicated gear. With people moving around and perhaps even clouds and shadows adversely affecting multiple shots, it becomes less than simple to get rid of all the artefacts. And, its not like you're going to ask everyone to stand absolutely still (despite what those early Sony ads depicted).

This is a dedicated tool with special purposes. As with the lenses you see on the market, just because you may not have a use (or can find a use) for something like a 600mm lens, for example, doesn't mean it's a bad idea.
For me the cool factor would be to be able to replay a video clip shot with this device over and over and looking at different scenes. For example, a replay of sports (football, hockey). When theydevelop it for video, I think it will have better use, but still not for 399...
09-06-2013, 04:29 AM   #146
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it did video and they followed up with a small projector you could have your own personal IMIN experience.

(Play on IMAX Theater)

Last edited by monochrome; 09-06-2013 at 07:06 AM.
09-06-2013, 04:34 AM   #147
Veteran Member

This concept applied to movies, now that would be an immersive experience!

BTW Monochrome, I like your signatures lol
09-06-2013, 05:26 AM   #149
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
Is anyone able to see these pictures on a tablet? I have both Adroid and Apple tablets and cannot.
I can see on my iPad

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Free app vs. $399

If the IQ is ok in low light and good enough for the web, I can see real estate agents all over this. Yea you can do this with an app, but a stitching app is subject to user error and can take some time to get right.

The idea of a real estate agent walking into a three bedroom house, taking a quick, single Theta shot in each of the rooms, and being done in fifteen minutes is probably really appealing...if the product performs. The viewer experience is also pretty neat to on a tablet-very interactive.

I've consulted with the real estate industry and know how important good photography is for listing and selling a home.
09-06-2013, 06:09 AM   #150
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
If the IQ is ok in low light and good enough for the web, I can see real estate agents all over this.
At first I thought so, but now...no. Distorts the perspective too much. People want some perspective and relationship between the fireplace and the window. And there are things you do NOT want in the shot as well. That's a lot about how staging works.

i've seen real estate agents with a good wide angle (12-24) blast off photos in minutes and have them on the web on the laptop while in the house. This is no game changer and likely less, not more, convenient, certainly not as an iOS app.

Also, the resolution is...lacking. The more valuable the home, the less likely something of this low IQ is going to be used.

It's a cool device, but it is a novelty or super-niche item that is nowhere near worth $399.