Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2013, 09:53 PM   #121
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
I don't think Ricoh had a plan with Pentax. They saw it as an asset with some diverse options to tap to enhance their other lines of business, especially their existing camera business.
I think Ricoh largely depended on the existing Pentax brain trust for direction.
I'm afraid that it didn't work like that; I suspect Pentax brain trust would not allow extra 3 years of wait to release a pathetic TC, that's on the roadmap since .. 2005?

09-05-2013, 09:56 PM   #122
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wullemaha Quote
I do not really see why anybody would want to buy a camera HW product to create pictures like this.
I myself am not a smartphone user, but a coleague of mine has been using stuff like this 360 Panorama - Realtime panorama creation from Occipital for months if he wanted to show somebody "look, I am here"... works for business as well as private vacation stuff.
Is this what the 400$ camera wants to compete with? An app?
It may be a case of Ricoh believing this will sell well in Japan and neglecting the rest of the world. Seems typical of them, with the anime Q, the complete Q kit, and blue/white K-01 all available only in Japan.
09-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #123
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
It may be a case of Ricoh believing this will sell well in Japan and neglecting the rest of the world
Sad, but possibly true. But actually I don't even see a possibility for high sales in Japan. Literally EVERY living thing in Japan (except for me and maybe the oldest person alive hidden in some mountain temple) has a smartphone. And since Japanese people tend to spend every waking minute (walking, sitting on the train, sitting in the restaurant, toilet...) playing around on their smart phone, I guess they will have found those kinds of apps as well.

I can only see a potential market with the very rich people that need every new toy even if it never even leaves the packaging - just a kind of "it's brand new, but I already have it". No one else will really "need" this product.
09-05-2013, 10:34 PM   #124
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by wullemaha Quote
.. No one else will really "need" this product.
Hah, I can see thousands of businesses integrating this for various needs. It's an absolutely fantastic concept.
The product looks well made, it's nicely designed, and I think that it is the "borderline" product — appealing to individuals, but I think more to businesses.
However, it does deserve to be presented to individuals too.

09-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #125
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Hah, I can see thousands of businesses integrating this for various needs. It's an absolutely fantastic concept.
Please don't get me wrong, I am not here to argue against the product or anything.
And everyone deserves his opinion... but I would actually be interested if you could name a few of those thousand businesses?
I do not mean that the device itself is useless, but considering the price of 400$ and the fact that any smartphone can do the same when purchasing a 0.99$ app?

BR René
09-05-2013, 10:39 PM   #126
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
The product looks well made, it's nicely designed, and I think that it is the "borderline" product — appealing to individuals, but I think more to businesses.
However, it does deserve to be presented to individuals too.
For those interested, it was already previewed in french by Clubic:
Preview du Ricoh Theta : l'appareil photo

They noticed the price of course but otherwise, and for what they could test (bunch of disabled for now features) they were happy with it.

I can't help notice that this was marketed by Ricoh, not Pentax. And I think this exactly what they had to do.
09-05-2013, 11:26 PM   #127
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sometimes dedicated hardware is better than software... this is just one of those convenience things and with anything convenient you can expect to pay a premium - this isn't anything new or unusual.

Instead of having to manually take multiple photos, you have a single device that works with a single button press. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

09-06-2013, 12:50 AM   #128
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
What is astounding is that you think it's ok and I guess Ricoh does too.
I guess you're right, I was just throwing out an idea that this may not be so bad after all if you think about what actually is pictured (Canon guy admiring Ricoh camera), but OK, it was a bit far fetched
09-06-2013, 12:57 AM   #129
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
Sometimes dedicated hardware is better than software... this is just one of those convenience things and with anything convenient you can expect to pay a premium - this isn't anything new or unusual.

Instead of having to manually take multiple photos, you have a single device that works with a single button press. Seems like a no-brainer to me.
That's my positive take on it as well, but I think (from the reactions around the web) that the price is too high. At least if you view it as simply a smart phone accessory. But then the recent smart phone accessories of Sony (the clip on lenses) have pretty stiff prices as well... (and what do they do? Turn the smartphone into a strange camera and an unusable phone! - I think the wireless solution is more attractive then!)

Anyway, the ball panoramic camera is way cooler: Throwable Panoramic Ball Camera // Jonas Pfeil
09-06-2013, 02:04 AM   #130
Veteran Member

The Theta...

...at work
https://theta360.com/spheres/161

...in the pub
https://theta360.com/spheres/156

...behind the scenes
https://theta360.com/spheres/145

>> IMAGINE <<
https://theta360.com/spheres/148
09-06-2013, 02:29 AM   #131
Veteran Member

Besides, I don't know why anyone is particularly upset or surprised for that matter.

The 360 degree camera was first rumoured to be in development in May last year...

Then a prototype showed up almost a year ago (just shy about 2 weeks).

With, another prototype on show in January.

We knew full well that they were working on this, and they were bound to release it... and so they did, as would any other company would when they create a product.
09-06-2013, 02:36 AM   #132
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by froeschle Quote
Interesting: in the "At Work" version I can see the stitch on the floor; both photos seem to have a different white balance. I thought that the two sensors worked in conjunction and that the firmware ensured the same exposure settings for both halves. That does not seem to be the case... If true then that is a serious omission which should be corrected in the firmware ASAP.

Having said that: we must consider the Theta the first model of a coming series of Theta models with better lenses/sensors. It's only natural that the system will get better. And while I don't have an use for it I certainly can see the market appeal. The price does not sound too weird either for a specialized product that won't sell by the thousands. Despite what Aristophanes says and the current drawbacks Ricoh might made a home run with this one. Let the market decide!

Last edited by Asahiflex; 09-06-2013 at 02:42 AM.
09-06-2013, 03:02 AM   #133
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Anyway, the ball panoramic camera is way cooler: Throwable Panoramic Ball Camera // Jonas Pfeil
Have you looked at the photos taken with this "camera"?
QuoteQuote:
For those interested, it was already previewed in french by Clubic
Interesting!
Look at the full size samples at the bottom of this page.
You can open them with the Theta software as spherical panorama.
Quality seems to be sufficient (although there is some noise) when using this data.
09-06-2013, 03:05 AM   #134
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Yep. It's called attention to detail.
If it was me, I would have removed that image IMMEDIATELY and sent a nasty letter to the guy. How does a Ricoh/Pentax employee NOT recognize other cameras or our own?

Unbelievable.
You mean unbelievable like Ricoh cannot take a product shot of the Q7 with any of its own cameras, but with Canon's camera and lenses too? Maybe it's the same guy ...
But the underlying message is that of a pathetic and downgrading attitude towards its own property and its values. What a person who buys into it may think? That even Ricoh uses other brand's imaging equipment to present its own imaging products?
They behave like they have no idea, even 2 and half years after, what they've purchased and why.
09-06-2013, 03:10 AM   #135
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
It may be a case of Ricoh believing this will sell well in Japan and neglecting the rest of the world. Seems typical of them, with the anime Q, the complete Q kit, and blue/white K-01 all available only in Japan.
Their prominent ad video is distinctly non-Asian.