Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 32 Likes Search this Thread
09-05-2013, 12:16 AM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Its going to be pretty funny if the Theta 360 is the "big" announcement from Pentax.
The big announcement is no doubt going to be a flagship. Hopefully it comes out soon!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-05-2013, 12:22 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Please refresh my memory: Why are we all focussed on the 5th of September for a new announcement?
09-05-2013, 12:33 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is so interesting, specially for my travels. A single photo is like world on its own.
09-05-2013, 12:50 AM   #19
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Please refresh my memory: Why are we all focussed on the 5th of September for a new announcement?
Our world will spin 360 degrees.

However, just recalled some faint info from the back of my mind, found on the Japanese Pentax website; they organised some action a while ago, which ends October 15th. For the prizes, they offered Pentax flagship products, 645D and K5II.

Last edited by Uluru; 09-05-2013 at 01:12 AM.
09-05-2013, 01:05 AM   #20
HYS
Veteran Member

OK. That's a good toy. A little bit odd, but what to do - Ricoh vision!
I am afraid that the Pentax brand is progressively sinking.
09-05-2013, 01:34 AM   #21
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by HYS Quote
OK. That's a good toy. A little bit odd, but what to do - Ricoh vision!
I am afraid that the Pentax brand is progressively sinking.
I'm still willing to bet that they have started some more serious development of anything new, and crystallised some plans, only 10 months ago, or, in months after their stroll around Fotokina 2012 when they've seen what others were doing in the long term. Then in 2013, in Mr Malcolm's interviews, he begged for utmost patience because "good things are coming."
09-05-2013, 01:39 AM   #22
Forum Member

if they want to begg, they can go to churches

09-05-2013, 01:44 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
I'm still willing to bet that they have started some more serious development of anything new, and crystallised some plans, only 10 months ago, or, in months after their stroll around Fotokina 2012 when they've seen what others were doing in the long term. Then in 2013, in Mr Malcolm's interviews, he begged for utmost patience because "good things are coming."
Ugh... Begging. Nature and the market are both without any mercy whatsoever.
09-05-2013, 02:16 AM   #24
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Ugh... Begging. Nature and the market are both without any mercy whatsoever.
They sometimes are, unfortunately, and in case of Pentax and Ricoh, they don't play in their favour either.

A double bummer. All steps done since Fotokina 2012, those we have witnessed, and since the rehash of the K-5 into K-5II, rehash of the K-30 into K-50 and K-500, using third party supplier to deliver components for MX-1, rehash of the DA Limiteds etc., show very careful, baby-like steps, taken with an absolute minimum of new investment.

Trouble is, if they want to capture attention, they need to be themselves, and original. Which, so far, is shown only in the example of the GR, which was most likely started 2 years ago and had to be done in time.

I'm at least glad that the Q line was most active in the meantime and Q line fits well in the economies and troubles of current moments.
09-05-2013, 02:27 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
I'm at least glad that the Q line was most active in the meantime and Q line fits well in the economies and troubles of current moments.
Looking at Japan sales looks like people start to loose interest for Q sistem.
09-05-2013, 03:02 AM   #26
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by VladimirYo Quote
Looking at Japan sales looks like people start to loose interest for Q sistem.
Q hardly sells well if there's no special sale of it. And I think that will remain the recipe for selling the Q in large quantities. And I think that is how mirrorless market works anyway. And Pentax was prepared for it.

Because any kit with a new Q body lands in prices that some Nex or m4/3 goes on fire-sale, and then Q *is perceived* as not as good value as other "more capable" cameras. However, best part is, if Pentax / Ricoh is still earning money and not losing it — and I suspect they still earn money from Q sales — it's good.

That whole mirrorless market is cursed; cameras lose value so quickly, any money made is made in the introduction of a model, and in the end in fire sales, so the guy who has the lowest expenses overall, wins in the long run. That is why I have always beleved that only Pentax has done the mirrorless homework well.

Last edited by Uluru; 09-05-2013 at 03:29 AM.
09-05-2013, 03:16 AM   #27
JPT
Pentaxian

Looking at the things released at IFA so far, it's all smartphones and smart watches. It doesn't seem like the place to release a high-end camera, but this 360 camera accessory for a smartphone would fit in quite well.

I saw a prototype of this at CP+ behind glass, and you could pan around a picture of Time Square. I thought it was quite interesting and could be fun for people who want to record the atmosphere at a party or for people doing adventure sports, like the Go Pro video camera.

Sony's QX add-on camera just turns a smartphone into a point and shoot with optical zoom. It just gets you a bit more IQ for a lot more money. This on the other hand, enables you to do something you couldn't do before. If it's not too expensive, it might get some interest.

From a technical point of view, it also means Ricoh has been working on smartphone integration, which is a good thing.
09-05-2013, 03:38 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Looking at the things released at IFA so far, it's all smartphones and smart watches. It doesn't seem like the place to release a high-end camera, but this 360 camera accessory for a smartphone would fit in quite well.
IFA

Canon announcement:
CN-E35mm T1.5 L F
Canon Expands Its Cinema Prime Lens Family

... 2 hours and 22 minutes ...
09-05-2013, 05:06 AM - 2 Likes   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I think it looks too much like a hammerhead shark
QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
I think it's an ear spray for two !
You guys are wrong, it's a vibrator with an integrated 360° camera. Nice close-ups in perspective.

Let's hope it's splash-proof .
09-05-2013, 05:21 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
You guys are wrong, it's a vibrator with an integrated 360° camera. Nice close-ups in perspective.

Let's hope it's splash-proof .
So hot !