Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2013, 07:08 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would have put in three lenses for les distortion and more resolution. Also give it a more stable base or a click in pod. It can be attached to anything with duct tape of course mr. Hendriks

09-05-2013, 07:18 AM   #47
Pentaxian

I was prepared to be disappointed, I'm pleasantly surprised.
Looks VERY cool and certainly something different from what anybody is offering.

Now all it needs are good photographers/ adventurers/ etc that can see beyond 'stiff' 'me too' images and use it to its strength.
(ie. not for old dinos who can't imagine beyond 135 format and rectangular framing )
09-05-2013, 07:21 AM - 1 Like   #48
Veteran Member

Cool as it looks, I'm puzzled about the utility of this.
How will it help me shoot? How will I deliver the images to people?
09-05-2013, 07:26 AM   #49

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
It does need something to attach it to your helmet when skating to compete with gopro. Could be a winner if the right people get attrackted. I saw a bundle off gopro at the EC Bouldering last weekend. There is a market for such a camera as the Thetra 360!!!!!!!!!
Umm, except for the fact that it doesn't do video??? Only mentions jpg file format in the specs. Maybe in future updates, but if it's meant to compete with GoPro type cameras, no video is a non-starter.

09-05-2013, 07:27 AM   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Cool as it looks, I'm puzzled about the utility of this.
How will it help me shoot? How will I deliver the images to people?
It's not about "shooting" or "delivering the images" - it's about "being there" and twittering your friends so they can "be there" too!
09-05-2013, 07:31 AM - 1 Like   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
it's about "being there" and twittering your friends so they can "be there" too!
Oh.
Pardon me while I stifle a yawn then.
I don't have a Twitter or an iPhone, or a Facebook either, so I guess this object is not made for me.
09-05-2013, 07:32 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Interesting. There's been a gap in the market for a dedicated pano.

It's uptake and buzz, even as a quirky niche product, will all depend on the price.

I could see real estate people using something like this.

09-05-2013, 07:32 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmm..right now I don't seek out 360 degree images - except for Google Earth / Street View.
If the Theta is targeted to those folks, I suppose I will wait to see how they like it.

For the average user? If the Theta can take out the person who took the image via software - great.
Otherwise you would need to have a "360 degree technique" so that you are not in the shot all the time.

With 360 degrees, you are never "behind" the shutter.

I think it's great that Ricoh took this Pentax concept to production, but for me, I can't think of why I'd buy this.
Good thing it has "Ricoh" on it.

If Ricoh thought the styling of the K30 was too much, so they gave us the K50, good luck with the Theta!
09-05-2013, 07:36 AM   #54

I like the product a lot and would consider buying it- but not at $400 USD. At a minimum, this thing has to be under $200. Why buy this when I can buy a Google Android phone that does the same thing (Google Photo Sphere) and makes phone calls?
09-05-2013, 07:40 AM - 2 Likes   #55

The world moves on. I'll stay where I am.
But I shall not complain that not every product is made for me, especially as Pentax makes more products for me than what I can afford.
09-05-2013, 07:41 AM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HYS Quote
OK. That's a good toy. A little bit odd, but what to do - Ricoh vision!
I am afraid that the Pentax brand is progressively sinking.
Hey, everybody, listen to Adam. I think he knows something, at least I hope he does. A new flagship camera is coming. Will it be enough to keep the Pentax brand from sinking? Time will tell. A FF camera about the size of the K-5 would be wonderful along with some requisite FF lenses.

Rob
09-05-2013, 08:00 AM   #57

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Hey, everybody, listen to Adam. I think he knows something, . .
Rob
In a few weeks he will secretly open a K3 discussion thread - the night before the official announcement.
Remember the wild rumours going on for weeks in the past. Times have changed.
But it could be the biggest jump since the K5, and that was a big one, more than anybody could realistically expect.
09-05-2013, 08:12 AM   #58

this is some sort of joke and we, the clients are not laughing... at all...
09-05-2013, 08:13 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Engadget has a short preview/review of the camera up on the site. They are not really happy with it. $400 is the reason

09-05-2013, 08:15 AM   #60
Veteran Member

In the IFA interview the question about resolution or number of MP was not really answered.

So, what is the best you can get if you connect the device to a PC?

The internal memory (approx. 4 GB) and the storage capacity (approx. 1200 pictures) result in about 3 MB per panorama.
With e.g. 3 bytes of color information per pixel one easily can estimate that this is a "Megapixelcam" (for $399/€399).