Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2013, 06:23 AM   #151
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
At first I thought so, but now...no. Distorts the perspective too much. People want some perspective and relationship between the fireplace and the window. And there are things you do NOT want in the shot as well. That's a lot about how staging works.

i've seen real estate agents with a good wide angle (12-24) blast off photos in minutes and have them on the web on the laptop while in the house. This is no game changer and likely less, not more, convenient, certainly not as an iOS app.

Also, the resolution is...lacking. The more valuable the home, the less likely something of this low IQ is going to be used.

It's a cool device, but it is a novelty or super-niche item that is nowhere near worth $399.
Real estate agents aren't a monolithic group, they are a spectrum. As you've argued in other discussion, not everyone wants to haul a laptop around, and a growing segment of people are happy to use their smartphone if the tools to work with them are fast and easy.

There is a segment of real estate agents (and the houses they market) for whom the Theta may work very well.

09-06-2013, 06:31 AM   #152
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Let's all be thankful it says "Ricoh".

It would have been nice, if Ricoh and Pentax websites were still separate.
Then, the Theta and GXR could live out their obscure days in harmony.

It's like Pentax is this really beautiful girl, who is high maintenance,comes from a distinguished but poor family, and has been abandoned and put up for adoption.
A really rich (obnoxious/creepy) uncle adopts her, makes her dress up in colorful outfits while starving her, and now she has to play with some really annoying/useless family members.

Pentax definitely needs some kind of Prince Charming to come to the rescue.
09-06-2013, 06:38 AM   #153
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
(...)

Preferably green

09-06-2013, 06:50 AM   #154
Veteran Member

So I'm here at IFA and have been playing with the Theta. It's an incredibly well-built piece of gear and it does exactly what it says—feels a lot like an iPod in terms of build quality, though a little lighter. Anyway, it definitely feels like a premium product, not a cheap toy. The app is well-designed, efficient, easy to use. Everyone who's been to the booth when I was there oohed and aahed over it, though I doubt many of them will actually purchase one. Still, for the right user (real estate photog, wedding photog, skate/action photog) it's a neat thing to add to your bag. I do think the price will be prohibitive for a lot of people, but you have to remember it's a first-gen product—something that hasn't been done before.

Imagine one of these at a wedding reception, though. Pretty cool.

09-06-2013, 06:54 AM   #155
Veteran Member

Let's all be thankful it says "Ricoh".

It would have been nice, if Ricoh and Pentax websites were still separate.
Then, the Theta and GXR could live out their obscure days in harmony.

It's like Pentax is this really beautiful girl, who is high maintenance,comes from a distinguished but poor family, and has been abandoned and put up for adoption.
A really rich (obnoxious/creepy) uncle adopts her, makes her dress up in colorful outfits while starving her, and now she has to play with some really annoying/useless family members.

Is this a real post?
09-06-2013, 07:10 AM   #156
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Looked at the sample pics and to me 400 dollars would be much better when used toward a lens. I'd buy one for 50 if it had Android support (I despise Apple zombies and don't care much for their products either), but honeltly I would only see myself using it maybe 20 or 30 times for the novelty before it started gathering dust.
09-06-2013, 07:19 AM   #157
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Is this a real post?
Absolutely.

If Ricoh can be in fantasyland, why can't I?

09-06-2013, 07:24 AM   #158
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Looked at the sample pics and to me 400 dollars would be much better when used toward a lens. I'd buy one for 50 if it had Android support (I despise Apple zombies and don't care much for their products either), but honeltly I would only see myself using it maybe 20 or 30 times for the novelty before it started gathering dust.
Android app availability is for the end of the year.

But not the 50$ price.
09-06-2013, 07:28 AM   #159
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
So I'm here at IFA and have been playing with the Theta. It's an incredibly well-built piece of gear and it does exactly what it says—feels a lot like an iPod in terms of build quality, though a little lighter. Anyway, it definitely feels like a premium product, not a cheap toy. The app is well-designed, efficient, easy to use. Everyone who's been to the booth when I was there oohed and aahed over it, though I doubt many of them will actually purchase one. Still, for the right user (real estate photog, wedding photog, skate/action photog) it's a neat thing to add to your bag. I do think the price will be prohibitive for a lot of people, but you have to remember it's a first-gen product—something that hasn't been done before.

Imagine one of these at a wedding reception, though. Pretty cool.
Thank you for actually posting some facts. I had imagined it would be a typical Pentax / Ricoh device like the Q>K converter - over-engineered, great in the hand, hard to quantify value until you actually touch it but when you do touch it - WOW!! This is really cool!!

So the product issue is resolved in the form of this is NOT a cheap Logitech device. It is a high quality, durable, premium device priced to reflect that.

But the business problem in the developed world for the Theta will be - how do they get people to "Just Hold a Theta."

As an aside, If Ricoh released a product that a few Members conceded was perfectly designed, perfectly featured, perfectly colored, perfectly priced, perfectly marketed, perfectly distributed and perfectly fine - do you think their heads would explode or is it inconceivable that they would ever find anything perfect?
09-06-2013, 07:34 AM   #160
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ya know...just because a concept is shown at a show does not mean it should be brought to production.

Oh wait...Ricoh doesn't feel that way?

Ok, then where is the MZ-D / FF?

The MZ-D made more appearances at more trade shows than any 360' camera ever.

There is no 360' camera facebook page.

There is no group of people that have been demanding that Pentax/Ricoh produce a 360' camera.

How many colors and how much poo do we have to deal with before we get the photography tools we are asking for?
How many niches is Ricoh going to go after before they give us what we are asking for?
09-06-2013, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #161
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ya know...just because a concept is shown at a show does not mean it should be brought to production.

Oh wait...Ricoh doesn't feel that way?

Ok, then where is the MZ-D / FF?

The MZ-D made more appearances at more trade shows than any 360' camera ever.

There is no 360' camera facebook page.

There is no group of people that have been demanding that Pentax/Ricoh produce a 360' camera.

How many colors and how much poo do we have to deal with before we get the photography tools we are asking for?
How many niches is Ricoh going to go after before they give us what we are asking for?
Why do people have to get angry every time there is a new Pentax or Ricoh that's not a full frame. It's good to keep innovating. A full frame by Pentax would either have to a expensive camera with low volume aiming at the pro market or a value camera undercutting Canon an Nikon offerings while not leaving out any specs. Both take time to develop. Better a good offering than some half baked piece of crap.
09-06-2013, 07:44 AM   #162
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Thank you for actually posting some facts. I had imagined it would be a typical Pentax / Ricoh device like the Q>K converter - over-engineered, great in the hand, hard to quantify value until you actually touch it but when you do touch it - WOW!! This is really cool!!

So the product issue is resolved in the form of this is NOT a cheap Logitech device. It is a high quality, durable, premium device priced to reflect that.

But the business problem in the developed world for the Theta will be - how do they get people to "Just Hold a Theta."

As an aside, If Ricoh released a product that a few Members conceded was perfectly designed, perfectly featured, perfectly colored, perfectly priced, perfectly marketed, perfectly distributed and perfectly fine - do you think their heads would explode or is it inconceivable that they would ever find anything perfect?
Well it does not seem they are distributing it to retail stores just yet: https://theta360.com/en/store/us/
Online only.

As for the "premium", it's a bit early to say isn't it? I mean...the sample pictures from their minisite are nothing to write home about, IMHO.

Concept might be cool but it's still too early to say it's a premium gadget.
09-06-2013, 07:44 AM   #163
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Let's see, what could Ricoh/Pentax make that would take $400 from me?
1) A Pentax sound box that could integrate with their DSLRs like a small Zoom or other audio capture device. Make it thin and with a 1/4-20 tripod mount so it could fit under a DSLR with or without a grip.
2) Give me a Pentax battery box that also could be mounted to the camera.
3) Give me a Pentax branded off-camera flash solution that could be controlled and triggered by Wifi or Bluetooth.
4) Give me updated Pentax macro extension tubes with SDM support.
5) Give me a teleconverter.
6) Give me an off-camera viewfinder solution (LCD or EVF)
7) Give me tether ability

There are a TON of other complimentary products that Ricoh/Pentax could make, and they chose to bring a 360' camera to market.
09-06-2013, 07:57 AM   #164

Maybe it is me but I don't get what the point of the spherical pictures are.
09-06-2013, 07:59 AM   #165
Veteran Member

Let's see, what could Ricoh/Pentax make that would take $400 from me?
1) A Pentax sound box that could integrate with their DSLRs like a small Zoom or other audio capture device. Make it thin and with a 1/4-20 tripod mount so it could fit under a DSLR with or without a grip.
2) Give me a Pentax battery box that also could be mounted to the camera.
3) Give me a Pentax branded off-camera flash solution that could be controlled and triggered by Wifi or Bluetooth.
4) Give me updated Pentax macro extension tubes with SDM support.
5) Give me a teleconverter.
6) Give me an off-camera viewfinder solution (LCD or EVF)
7) Give me tether ability

There are a TON of other complimentary products that Ricoh/Pentax could make, and they chose to bring a 360' camera to market.
And one more thing, you need a 650$ telephone to use it. Maybe they will develop a way to use with the next generation of DSLRs?