Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-12-2013, 12:47 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I'm afraid not: lens correction data are stored in the lens's chip. Otherwise you would see firmware updates for each and every new lens, which is definitely not the case, see my post above.
You have a point. I just find this unlikely, since there's no such thing as updating the firmware on Pentax lenses, which would make it hard for them to release improvements and bugfixes.

Maybe the lenses do come with initial correction parameters, and camera firmware updates replace it with new parameters as needed?

09-12-2013, 12:52 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
(...)

Maybe the lenses do come with initial correction parameters, and camera firmware updates replace it with new parameters as needed?
If it were so, firmware updates would be about older lenses, not the newest ones.
09-12-2013, 12:59 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
thibs is talking about the lens correction data being stored in the lens (the correction itself being, of course, done in the camera).
AFAIK only the Q is, at the moment, able to update the firmware of its lenses. K-mount lenses cannot be updated, so the lens correction data must be in the camera.
09-12-2013, 01:00 AM   #19
Pentaxian

(...)

I therefore think there might be "something" in HD coating that interferes with the functioning of contrast AF and makes it necessary to specifically calibrate contrast AF for HD lenses.
Sorry for quoting myself but I thought of another explanation since I wrote my previous post : what if some kind of new feature 'silently' embedded in the newest lenses (the HD lenses are the latest ones if one sets aside the smc DA 18-270mm announced together with the HD DA 560mm on the grounds that this lens is a mere relabelled Tamron) would allow to improve contrast detection autofocus but would necessitate to update the camera's firmware on a lens-by-lens basis to take advantage of it?

Last edited by Mistral75; 09-12-2013 at 01:16 AM.
09-12-2013, 01:41 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
AFAIK only the Q is, at the moment, able to update the firmware of its lenses. K-mount lenses cannot be updated, so the lens correction data must be in the camera.
How often would you need to update the lens correction data?
09-12-2013, 01:48 AM   #21

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Pentax has just released some new firmware for all the current/recent models in order to add support for the HD limiteds and the new flashes. Download links below:

New Firmware for All Current Pentax DSLR Models - Pentax News - PentaxForums.com
I've just done the update and it's states V1.04 not V1.05 on the K-5IIs ?
09-12-2013, 01:49 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Sorry for quoting myself but I thought of another explanation since I wrote my previous post : what if some kind of new feature 'silently' embedded in the newest lenses (the HD lenses are the latest ones if one sets aside the smc DA 18-270mm announced together with the HD DA 560mm on the grounds that this lens is a mere relabelled Tamron) would allow to improve contrast detection autofocus but would necessitate to update the camera's firmware on a lens-by-lens basis to take advantage of it?
For lenses with built in AF motor they could perhaps to something like this (but I don't think it has been done)
On screw-drive lenses I don't think there is much they can do except optimizing the CDAF in the camera. (and the same CDAF optimization for HD Ltd could be used for SMC Ltd)

If they add new features in the lens to optimize it for CDAF, it might not be enough with new firmware in the camera. The camera probably also need updated hardware to support it.

Last edited by Fogel70; 09-12-2013 at 02:40 AM.
09-12-2013, 02:31 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Agreed, it is not clear at all what exactly is this firmware for lenses bringing to the table.
What I know is that DA lenses do have optical correction data embedded: this has been confirmed but I really do not remember in what interview.

They still might want to optimize something maybe more camera dependent.
09-12-2013, 02:48 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by howard_hull Quote
I've just done the update and it's states V1.04 not V1.05 on the K-5IIs ?
They have likely managed to fumble up again by uploading the wrong file or linking to the older version. That was the case with the firmware for K5 for a long time ... I wish they would hire a school kid that could help them out with all this difficult Internet stuff.

Download and unpack the zip package and forget it says it's for Mac! I'll bet is a different way to get the same bits (self extracting archive for Windows vs. zipped package for Mac). Haven't tried myself, since I am using the old K5.
09-12-2013, 03:04 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by H. Sapiens Quote
They have likely managed to fumble up again by uploading the wrong file or linking to the older version. That was the case with the firmware for K5 for a long time ... I wish they would hire a school kid that could help them out with all this difficult Internet stuff.

Download and unpack the zip package and forget it says it's for Mac! I'll bet is a different way to get the same bits (self extracting archive for Windows vs. zipped package for Mac). Haven't tried myself, since I am using the old K5.
Alternatively, use these direct links:

- K-5 II: http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/digital/firmware/k5_2_105.EXE

- K-5 IIs: http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/digital/firmware/k5_2s105.EXE
09-12-2013, 03:47 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
thibs is talking about the lens correction data being stored in the lens (the correction itself being, of course, done in the camera).
Indeed.
09-12-2013, 03:54 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Hey look - firmware update for the k-01. How nice
09-12-2013, 07:17 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Hey look - firmware update for the k-01. How nice
K-01 support is in the Q system category on the USA site. Not yet released (1.03) version on Canadian site, 1.04 on French site...

I am glad they are working on updates. I hope they are putting some resources on consistency as well!

Have a good day!
09-12-2013, 07:19 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
K-01 support is in the Q system category on the USA site. Not yet released (1.03) version on Canadian site, 1.04 on French site...

I am glad they are working on updates. I hope they are putting some resources on consistency as well!

Have a good day!
Dunno, I downloaded it this morning from Adam's link. Didn't install yet, was going off to work.
09-12-2013, 07:25 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Dunno, I downloaded it this morning from Adam's link. Didn't install yet, was going off to work.
Please let me know, when you install it, if it has a French version in the one you downloaded.

I've seen releases of English/Japanese only versions of other products...

Regards,