Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New Firmware for K-500, K-50, K-5 II, K-5 IIs, K-5, K-30, K-01, K-r, and 645D is out

Pentax has just released some new firmware for all the current/recent models in order to add support for the HD limiteds and the new flashes. Download links below:

New Firmware for All Current Pentax DSLR Models - Pentax News - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-11-2013, 09:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

added support for HD Limiteds.. not sure what that exactly does, did they change something internally with the lenses?

as for the flashes, so it seems they use the LED as flash assist... hope to see a demo video how that works. LED seems a little too bright compared to the regular beam assists

otherwise, this is good news (even the K-r is included! not the K-x though...)
09-11-2013, 09:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
added support for HD Limiteds.. not sure what that exactly does, did they change something internally with the lenses?
I thought it's just letting camera ID the lens and be able to do various program lines properly due to any optical difference in the lens coating.
09-11-2013, 10:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
I thought it's just letting camera ID the lens and be able to do various program lines properly due to any optical difference in the lens coating.
Good point there. If that's the case though, then it should warrant an old smcDA Ltd vs new HD-DA Ltd comparison

09-11-2013, 10:16 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Good point there. If that's the case though, then it should warrant an old smcDA Ltd vs new HD-DA Ltd comparison
Exactly as the firmware support for the DA560.
09-11-2013, 11:11 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
Due to the better light transmission of the HD coating when compared to the "old" SMC? That's just a few percents (if any) of difference in exposure, but OK.

Maybe they also updated the in-camera lens corrections (JPEG only) for those lenses. I don't use those corrections as these considerably slow down my K-5.
09-11-2013, 11:20 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote

Maybe they also updated the in-camera lens corrections (JPEG only) for those lenses. I don't use those corrections as these considerably slow down my K-5.
Those corrections are supposed to be in lens, not in camera but for a few lenses (DFA and FA Limited). Or at least were.

09-11-2013, 11:30 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Those corrections are supposed to be in lens, not in camera but for a few lenses (DFA and FA Limited). Or at least were.
Lost in translation? Optical lens corrections cannot be made in-lens but are a function of the Prime (Fujitsu Milbeaut) processor.

Last edited by Asahiflex; 09-12-2013 at 12:57 AM.
09-12-2013, 12:00 AM   #9
Inactive Account

When I clicked on "download for Windows" downloaded the file k5_2_104.EXE not k5_2_105.EXE. Is that okay?
09-12-2013, 12:08 AM   #10
Pentaxian

thibs is talking about the lens correction data being stored in the lens (the correction itself being, of course, done in the camera).
09-12-2013, 12:19 AM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kluzo Quote
When I clicked on "download for Windows" downloaded the file k5_2_104.EXE not k5_2_105.EXE. Is that okay?
Download the mac version

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-12-2013, 12:31 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
thibs is talking about the lens correction data being stored in the lens (the correction itself being, of course, done in the camera).
To be pedantic, I don't think there's any correction data in the lens. The camera most likely just recognizes which lens is attached, and the firmware contains the mapping between lens IDs and correction parameters.
09-12-2013, 12:34 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Due to the better light transmission of the HD coating when compared to the "old" SMC? That's just a few percents (if any) of difference in exposure, but OK.

They say themselves "Optimized contrast AF when using HD PENTAX-DA Limited series lenses" as they did for the firmware version dedicated to support HD DA 560mm f/5.6.

As far as I remember it's only the second time one sees such explanation: first for HD DA 560mm f/5,6, then now for the HD Limiteds.

However, K-r and K-5 were announced in September 2010 and not only HD DA 560mm f/5.6 but also DA 50mm f/1.8 and DA 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 were announced in the meantime, without any firmware update to optimize contrast AF when using them.

I therefore think there might be "something" in HD coating that interferes with the functioning of contrast AF and makes it necessary to specifically calibrate contrast AF for HD lenses.
09-12-2013, 12:37 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
To be pedantic, I don't think there's any correction data in the lens. The camera most likely just recognizes which lens is attached, and the firmware contains the mapping between lens IDs and correction parameters.
I'm afraid not: lens correction data are stored in the lens's chip. Otherwise you would see firmware updates for each and every new lens, which is definitely not the case, see my post above.
09-12-2013, 12:37 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by kluzo Quote
It looks like the EXE files contain the previous version, the very last version can be found in the zip file ("Mac/Windows" version).