Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
09-23-2013, 11:18 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Whether or not RiceHIgh made this up, which is always possible, these specs are actually pretty close to what I was expecting for the next step above the K-5 IIs. A good improvement in several areas, but still fairly conservative in terms of additional features. Also if there really are more than 11-focus points I'll be curious to see how many of them are crosstype or f/2.8 sensitivity like the K-5 IIs AF system is. If they can just combine the K-30 expanded focus continual focus feature with the low light improvements of the K-5 II it will be a very nice combo.

If the rumors start saying the camera has built in Wi-Fi, 4000K video, double SD memory card slots, or of course, a full frame sensor, I'll start getting suspicious

09-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
what is truly priceless is how the second hand market just blew up with obsolete k-5's and (to some lesser extent) k-20's. yes! unload the pieces of junk while you still can, ladies and gentleman . i'm lucky i'm pretty much broke, otherwise i'd be tempted, and i trully don't need another k-5 (or camera, for that matter). we live in a f^W wonderfully strange and fascinating up world..<cough cough>
09-23-2013, 11:52 AM   #33
Pentaxian

I do think that this is something that has been in works. And as mentioned. New focus system would be brilliant. It would reflect in new bigger format(s) too. Like 645d...
09-23-2013, 12:18 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Actually, the name "K-3" is confirmed
And your confirmation is a screen print posted by RH plus a snippet of html that could be created in notepad? Hmm.... OK, anything is possible but color me skeptical. I just don't get the explosive postings based on nothing but another RH stunt.

And who knows, Ricoh might actually use logic in it's naming conventions unlike Pentax who generally seemed to pick names based on astrology.

09-23-2013, 01:04 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote

If the rumors start saying the camera has built in Wi-Fi, 4000K video, double SD memory card slots, or of course, a full frame sensor, I'll start getting suspicious
Pentax enthusiast that I am, I wouldn't expect Pentax to catch up with what others have done this year, give them a year or two. It was almost exactly a year ago my friend Mona came up with her 24 MP D3200.
09-23-2013, 01:06 PM   #36
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Pentax enthusiast that I am, I wouldn't expect Pentax to catch up with what others have done this year, give them a year or two.
I agree. I am completely optimistic that Pentax will catch up significantly but it just isn't realistic to expect it to happen the first year (of new ownership).
09-23-2013, 01:17 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
And your confirmation is a screen print posted by RH plus a snippet of html that could be created in notepad? Hmm.... OK, anything is possible but color me skeptical. I just don't get the explosive postings based on nothing but another RH stunt.
(...)
No, Google's cache. As far as I know, RH's "stunts" do not extend to Google's cache.

09-23-2013, 01:25 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Nice specs. But I have K5 and those specs not enough reason to buy new body. My pics will not be much better if any with those specs. Much Better AF relialibility and xsync like 1/500 sec would be reason enough...or FF. great to see PENTAX ricoh developing all the time. It means some day we all have reason enough to update.
09-23-2013, 01:30 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
No, Google's cache. As far as I know, RH's "stunts" do not extend to Google's cache.
OK. That's proof then. I eagerly await the K-3.
09-23-2013, 02:05 PM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Joojoo2010 Quote
Nice specs. But I have K5 and those specs not enough reason to buy new body. My pics will not be much better if any with those specs. Much Better AF relialibility and xsync like 1/500 sec would be reason enough...or FF. great to see PENTAX ricoh developing all the time. It means some day we all have reason enough to update.
Sounds like the AF reliability has been addressed (27 points instead of 11. -3 EV focussing.) 1/500 flash sync... who does that? My guess is Pentax isn't big enough to develop their own chips, stuff like that depends on them buying hardware from people who are manufacturing it for some other company, who's exclusivity contract has run out. Is there a 1/500 flash sync out there they could go after?. I'm not saying there isn't, there's a lot I haven seen, but that's something I haven't heard of.
09-23-2013, 02:13 PM   #41
Pentaxian

1/500 can't be done with a focal plane shutter; but with an electronic one. The Nikon D70 did that, but Nikon abandoned the idea - due to image quality issues.
09-23-2013, 02:22 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
1/500 can't be done with a focal plane shutter; but with an electronic one. The Nikon D70 did that, but Nikon abandoned the idea - due to image quality issues.
in fact, the fake shutter on the d50 (and d70) might be a nice trick to play with, for strobists, there's image quality issues of course, but a nice trick when you need it (if it's optional). unfortunately, nikon had taken it a bit too far iirc, in the sense the mechanical shutter only went as far as 1/60s or so, anything above was electronic shutter, so the focal plane shutter was basically more like a protection blind than a shutter. no idea how this works with cmos sensors though (afaik, it really is not the same as with ccd).

1/500 is achievable easily these days (and has been for a few decades) by using central shutters (aka leaf), i'm only curious who will wake up to this first? the strobist community is growing.. anyway, offtopic

much more interestingly, google has officially been quated as undeniable proof of reality. it has been written..
09-23-2013, 02:25 PM   #43
Veteran Member

24Mp is pushing it. I might get a 2nd K5 IIs when this K3 is out.
09-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Let's see the sensor, and its image quality. From 2011, the sensor manufacturers had enough time to iron out the issues...
09-23-2013, 02:39 PM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote
much more interestingly, google has officially been quated as undeniable proof of reality. it has been written..
If it's not, the wife and I are going to have to get busy and revisit a lot of old arguments. Google is the supreme arbitrator of disputes around here.