Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2013, 12:53 AM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Merts Quote
Fair point.
It would have to be a weakness as far as potential damage and water ingress go though?
Of course - any moving part is inherently weak, but, this is where smart engineering can at least mitigate potential failure.

09-24-2013, 12:54 AM   #92
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fair point.
It would have to be a weakness as far as potential damage and water ingress go though?
Probably, as I don't believe any weather-sealed camera has an articulating screen.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-24-2013, 01:08 AM   #93
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Fair point.
Theoretically yes but Olympus E-3 and E-5 both had swivel screens and full weather-sealing which apparently worked very well.

Obviously any part of a camera that sticks out could be accidentally knocked and therefore damaged but then you could as easily knock the whole camera onto the floor.
09-24-2013, 01:08 AM   #94
Veteran Member

The Olympus OM-D series are weather sealed and have an articulating screen.

09-24-2013, 01:11 AM   #95
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Probably, as I don't believe any weather-sealed camera has an articulating screen.
Several of Olympus's cameras have
09-24-2013, 01:18 AM   #96

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
Several of Olympus's cameras have
Yes indeed and for years !
OM-D but also Olympus E-3 and E-5 and the WR is certainly as good if not beter than the Pentax's one.
09-24-2013, 01:54 AM   #97
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
How does this stack up against your previous unicorn predictions?
Hmm, I risked, and first revealed the upcoming 18-70/2.8 lens. Now that lens has been confirmed from several sources weeks after.

That lens is realistic feat, and somewhat confirmed with an official roadmap. Realistic is also K-3 in described / leaked / rumoured specs.

However, things like the all new A-mount, and quirky, SF solutions that suddenly enable Pentax to leapfrog competition, well, those are unicorns.

09-24-2013, 01:57 AM   #98
Banned

Re tilting screen; I expect a mid-range camera, in between K-3 and K-50, to come with a tilting screen. Keeping the K-3 well rugged, pro-level, robust, no-nonsense APS-C flagship (packed with power and still kept at the smallest size possible) is important, and other bodies slimmer in profile and lighter in weight can host a tilting LCD — for those who like that.
09-24-2013, 02:29 AM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Re tilting screen; I expect a mid-range camera, in between K-3 and K-50, to come with a tilting screen. Keeping the K-3 well rugged, pro-level, robust, no-nonsense APS-C flagship (packed with power and still kept at the smallest size possible) is important, and other bodies slimmer in profile and lighter in weight can host a tilting LCD — for those who like that.
Wouldn't a body with a tilting / articulating screen require a much higher level of WR then one with a static screen? And couldn't that be the reason for the ridiclous pricing of some of the Olympus bodies? I never missed such a screen on Pentax anyway.
09-24-2013, 02:29 AM   #100
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
But Ricoh/Pentax have launched WR flashguns with articulated and rotating heads!
09-24-2013, 02:47 AM   #101
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Wouldn't a body with a tilting / articulating screen require a much higher level of WR then one with a static screen? And couldn't that be the reason for the ridiclous pricing of some of the Olympus bodies? I never missed such a screen on Pentax anyway.
That's hard to say. The above conclusion of mine — that we'll probably see tilting scree in a smaller body — is based on words of Kawauchi san and Wakashiro san, from the CP+ 2013 interview.
09-24-2013, 02:57 AM   #102
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
But Ricoh/Pentax have launched WR flashguns with articulated and rotating heads!
Correct... And look at their prices and the prices of other flashes from other manufacturers with the same guide numbers. There's a BIG difference.
09-24-2013, 03:27 AM   #103
Veteran Member

I think there is more future in wireless communication / tethering between devices. Just a little bit of innovation and the user would be able to just download a Pentax app to their phone, tablet or laptop and use THAT as a screen. No need for tilting / articulating screens that push the limits of WR and pricing.
09-24-2013, 03:43 AM   #104
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I think there is more future in wireless communication / tethering between devices. Just a little bit of innovation and the user would be able to just download a Pentax app to their phone, tablet or laptop and use THAT as a screen. No need for tilting / articulating screens that push the limits of WR and pricing.
Like the Sony QX-10 and QX-100?
09-24-2013, 03:57 AM   #105
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

FWIW, a rumour on a Japanese site:
?????? K-3 (K-5???) ????????????????????

and translation thanks to google:
  • Definitive almost DSLR successor to the K-5 in the K-3 is announced
  • Rather than the 35mm full size sensor, the sensor is equipped with an APS-C sensor
  • Moveable LCD monitor is adopted, body size is slightly larger
  • Details of sensors would guess, but it is going to be a sensor of 20 million pixels or more Sony-less low-pass specification
  • 1.0 times magnification with 100% field of view viewfinder
  • In the announcement soon, to be released at the end of October
  • Body alone is about 120,000 yen
  • Color (released by Silver later?) Only black
  • New lens to expand in the future, shift to HD coating from the SP coating