Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2013, 08:19 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3 Specs leaked - 24MP APS-C

The not yet announced Pentax K-3 camera was listed at the official Japanese PPG (Pentax Photo Gallery) website. Those are the rumored Pentax K-3 specifications:

Ricoh Pentax K-3: 24MP APS-C Sensor
Hardware AA Filter-less
Software AA Filter
PRIME III Image Processor
86k RGB Segmented Light Metering with -3EV Sensitivity
27-Point AF with -3EV Sensitivity
8.5 Maximum FPS (Tentative)
4 Stop SR
100% 0.95X Optical Viewfinder
Fixed Air-gapless LCD
Built-in Interval Shooting up to 2000 Frames and Internal Video Composite
MPEG4 AVC/H.264 Full HD 30p/60i Video
New Stereo Phone-out Monitor Jack
3 User Modes
USB 3.0
Weight: 800g
Price: $1299.99 for body only

Source

09-23-2013, 08:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This has already been posted several times.

Also 800g is very heavy, considering most official specs list weight without the battery.
09-23-2013, 08:23 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Let's be clear about this: only the name was leaked, the specs are still rumored/not confirmed.
09-23-2013, 08:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hardware AA Filter-less
Software AA Filter
27-Point AF with -3EV Sensitivity
8.5 Maximum FPS (Tentative)
Fixed Air-gapless LCD
MPEG4 AVC/H.264 Full HD 30p/60i Video
New Stereo Phone-out Monitor Jack

The items above are what I would want to see make it into the actual k-3. If all else are rumors, I hope the above become true.

09-23-2013, 08:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

didn't RiceLow post the same specs?
09-23-2013, 08:29 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The prime source is not known to be reliable (or should that be known to be not reliable?). Sooner or later PhotoRumors will reference a PentaxForums post discussing the rumor post from PhotoRumors (as has happened in the past).
09-23-2013, 08:30 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the source of rumored specs: Ricehigh. Not exactly the most reliable - if I remember correctly, his modus operendi is to make the rumored specs very high pie-in-the-sky so when the real thing comes out not matching his self-generated "rumors", he can gnash his teeth and proclaim how much of a disappointment the real thing is.

09-23-2013, 08:31 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Let's Complain! All together Now....

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Let's be clear about this: only the name was leaked, the specs are still rumored/not confirmed.
Which will hardly slow down, much less stop, the usual "rip it apart 'cause it's not a Canon or Nikon clone' crowd. No tilt screen? Death to Pentax!
Not full frame? We're doomed, Pentax won't last another month!! You'll see...
(tapping fingers on desk, waiting....)
Ron
09-23-2013, 08:45 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
This has already been posted several times.

Also 800g is very heavy, considering most official specs list weight without the battery.
If it were with battery, it would be the K10D's weight.

Let us not forget that K-3 (APS-C) will presumably share most of its body with the 24x36 Pentax to come (à la Nikon D300/D700 or D7000/D600).
09-23-2013, 08:49 AM   #10
pdo

Hopefully 1/250th flash sync speed and tethering.

09-23-2013, 08:55 AM   #11
Pentaxian

The photopage shown is a screen copy of a link. I assume if your were on the original page and could read Japanese you could have linked to the spec page. If you can't read Japanese which most of us can't, it might be nice for the person to translate the specs instead of the link to the page. So it's quite possible, this is what was done. SO there are reasons why the spec may have been present on the page, as there are reasons to think they were made up (as in ricehigh's previous behaviour). But let's just say he lucked on to something this time...just for the sake of argument.

I'll pay full price for that camera, without batting an eyelash. I won't even wait for the price to drop after 3 or 4 months. I'll admit, I don't think Pentax can come up with something like that, but it's way more fun speculating that they can, than concentrating on the rather dismal last 2 years not much of anything new. Given the pretty much common knowledge that Pentax was working on a 24 Mp camera when the K-5 II's were brought out and that they couldn't get it out in time...and that some of the features of the new 24 MP camera were added to the IIs, everything on this makes sense. For me personally this body would get Pentax back in the game. On the other hand, if it's just another rumour, it's another nail in the coffin, in that nothing in the specs is less than doable. ANd at this point if they release something less than that, like Rice High, you'd have to ask yourself.. "why didn't they do this."?

It's a huge upgrade, but technically very conservative, and considerably less than what others have done. It appears to be nothing more than applying available FF technology to an APS-c body.
09-23-2013, 09:00 AM - 1 Like   #12
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bhairavp Quote
didn't RiceLow post the same specs?
Which makes the all the more dubious. If RiceLow predicted that the sun will come up again tomorrow, I'd stock up on flashlight batteries today.
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The prime source is not known to be reliable (or should that be known to be not reliable?).

That's not to say they can not be right. As the saying goes "even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while"
09-23-2013, 09:02 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Time to get popcorn...meanwhile. This thing would become to be true...oh boy. It would be sweet.
09-23-2013, 09:04 AM   #14
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
It would be sweet.
No it wouldn't. If it isn't FF it's useless. Haven't you been paying attention?????
09-23-2013, 09:08 AM   #15
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

With those specs I may get one. Even though I really don't need a new body...