Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #76
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ricoh is aiming for home run, ladies and gentlemen.
I just got the word that this machine will be the release of a really well polished up product that was more than 18 months in development. It will turn heads, and most likely set the benchmark of excellence for the APS-C league. Apparently, Pentax engineers are really proud of this feat because unlike in case of Nikon or Canon, even Sony, this is not a dumbed down FF product, but genuinely well designed APS-C, from grounds up.
Also, expect more lens surprises.

Last edited by Uluru; 09-23-2013 at 10:40 PM.
09-23-2013, 10:30 PM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
If the K-3 is real then I suppose we can expect a whole series of #3 named cameras.. K-30 (oops) and K-300? Maybe it is a FF...or would that be a K-1?
Yeah, bossa... The naming doesn't make sense to me, either. Pentax finally had a reasonable lineup with 5/50/500. If they went the K-3 route, then an old model (K-30) would be the matching pair? Maybe it'll be paired with a K-30IIs?
09-23-2013, 10:34 PM   #78
Pentaxian

If so, my planned lens purchases will have to wait...

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
I just got the word that this machine will be the release of a really well polished up product that was more than 18 months in development. It will turn heads, and most likely set the benchmark of excellence for the APS-C league.
09-23-2013, 10:56 PM   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I just got the word that this machine will be the release of a really well polished up product that was more than 18 months in development. It will turn heads, and most likely set the benchmark of excellence for the APS-C league. Apparently, Pentax engineers are really proud of this feat because unlike in case of Nikon or Canon, even Sony, this is not a dumbed down FF product, but genuinely well designed APS-C, from grounds up.
Well, looks like Christmas might be a little early this year :-) I may have to forget about the K5iis and start saving for this game changer instead!

09-23-2013, 11:22 PM   #80
bvg
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Time to get popcorn...
Do not waste popcorn . That is only another rumor.
09-23-2013, 11:39 PM   #81
Pentaxian

Allways nice to have some popcorn, maybe even some sodas.
09-23-2013, 11:46 PM   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
If the K-3 is real then I suppose we can expect a whole series of #3 named cameras.. K-30 (oops) and K-300? Maybe it is a FF...or would that be a K-1?
As I said in another thread, if it's a 35mm sensor, it should be called the K-35! At the moment, it's K-i (where i is the square root of -1, and therefore imaginary or unreal), or, keeping the lens serial, the K-FA.

09-23-2013, 11:49 PM   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How does this stack up against your previous unicorn predictions?
09-24-2013, 12:22 AM   #84
Veteran Member

Compared to Pentax performance of the last two years this would be a revolutionary upgrade indeed! Fantastic! But compared to the other brands it's a very mediocre and boring release. Meh, they're just playing catch-up to the Nikon D7100 that was released in February 2013 already!

So I hope these specifications are dreamt up, and that the real specifications will be more exciting then this.
09-24-2013, 12:25 AM   #85
Veteran Member

To be fair though we hear this pretty much every time before a new camera announcement... Not that I don't believe you, but Pentax has never exceeded reasonable expectations in any announced camera that I can remember.

More lens surprises? I assume you mean like the HD Ltds? Or you mean that TC will actually get released this time?
09-24-2013, 12:28 AM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Compared to Pentax performance of the last two years this would be a revolutionary upgrade indeed! Fantastic! But compared to the other brands it's a very mediocre and boring release. Meh, they're just playing catch-up to the Nikon D7100 that was released in February 2013 already!

So I hope these specifications are dreamt up, and that the real specifications will be more exciting then this.
I wouldn't bet on it. Personally I think we'll be looking at a K-5 like camera with 20-24mp and maybe one or two interesting features (something akin to astrotracking or something). I'm determined not to get my hopes up this time!

Although to be fair to Pentax the K-5 (even the K-7) were superb photographic tools. Irrespective of whether the 7100 had better specifications the K-5s are still one of the best designed small DSLRs available.
09-24-2013, 12:35 AM   #87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hope the K3 does have a fixed air-gap free screen like the K5II. I don't get why anyone would want a tilt/flip screen on a digital SLR.
I use the viewfinder generally, and the screen is usually for checking settings and reviewing photos. On the odd occasion when I want use live view, the fixed screen works just fine.
Tilt screens are just one more potential thing to break IMHO.
09-24-2013, 12:47 AM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
Although to be fair to Pentax the K-5 (even the K-7) were superb photographic tools. Irrespective of whether the 7100 had better specifications the K-5s are still one of the best designed small DSLRs available.
Abolutely! The K-5 was superb. It's the 2 year lag to which they're now playing catch-up what's making this so boring. If you compare this to what Sony is doing then I don't even understand why they're bothering with its release at all.
09-24-2013, 12:47 AM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Merts Quote
I hope the K3 does have a fixed air-gap free screen like the K5II. I don't get why anyone would want a tilt/flip screen on a digital SLR.
I use the viewfinder generally, and the screen is usually for checking settings and reviewing photos. On the odd occasion when I want use live view, the fixed screen works just fine.
Tilt screens are just one more potential thing to break IMHO.
Tilt screens have a use for macro, crimping, etc... essentially any use where you physically can't place your eyes....

09-24-2013, 12:52 AM   #90
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
Tilt screens have a use for macro, crimping, etc... essentially any use where you physically can't place your eyes....
Fair point.
It would have to be a weakness as far as potential damage and water ingress go though?