Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2013, 10:09 AM   #31

Photos: Albums
I think this would be possible. I don't know that SR has the accuracy to make single pixel movements, but the software argument isn't completely unfounded. The camera could shift the sensor with an accuracy of maybe 3 to 10 pixels and the software could align those images to increase color accuracy, and to some extent resolution. If they could do this and keep everything in RAW I'd be totally sold on it. But they wouldn't do that. In which case I see this as more plausibly a gimmick for the Q in with the filters and hdr stuff. Any features that don't maintain RAW support are pretty useless, atleast to me.

09-24-2013, 10:40 AM   #32
Forum Member

sensor at 24MB, image at 40MB, 1 image at 1 sec? hihihi
09-24-2013, 10:52 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hmmm... Shifting the sensor to create a larger image thus compositly creating a larger MP, it's like an in-sensor-image-stitching... Nice idea, but not practical... It may be a good option, but I still prefer true larger sensor than an aps-c sensor trying to dance around to copy a large sensor...
09-24-2013, 10:59 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by richard balonglong Quote
Hmmm... Shifting the sensor to create a larger image thus compositly creating a larger MP, it's like an in-sensor-image-stitching... Nice idea, but not practical... It may be a good option, but I still prefer true larger sensor than an aps-c sensor trying to dance around to copy a large sensor...
That's not exactly what it (would be) doing -- it is just shifting a few pixels so the bayer array can hit its different color filters in the same spot of actual space, so it is more like turning your Bayer sensor into a Foveon sensor so that all 3 colors are captured at each point instead of only green, red, or blue at each point (where the rest is normally filled in by interpolation). So we are talking about increased colors and resolution with more MPs -- not creating a bigger image like when you stich together a panorama. There are already Hasselblads that do this -- see link earlier in thread.

09-24-2013, 03:45 PM - 1 Like   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mgbirder Quote
it has a nifty low light feature
Sony (NEX etc) have had this feature for years ('Hand-held Twilight' mode and 'Anti-Motion Blur' mode, also 'Superior Auto'). Camera fires a burst of shots at various exposure levels, camera does some NR and other processing, combines the images. Results only come out in JPEG though.
09-24-2013, 03:55 PM   #36

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Sony (NEX etc) have had this feature for years ('Hand-held Twilight' mode and 'Anti-Motion Blur' mode, also 'Superior Auto'). Camera fires a burst of shots at various exposure levels, camera does some NR and other processing, combines the images. Results only come out in JPEG though.
Yep, and the image looses a lot of resolution, but if Pentax could manage that without the JPEG compresion...
09-24-2013, 04:08 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mgbirder Quote
if Pentax could manage that without the JPEG compresion...
I doubt they could pull it off in RAW mode, ie outputting a PEF or DNG. That seems a fundamental problem with this rumoured Pentax technology.

09-24-2013, 05:00 PM   #38
Pentaxian

I doubt they could pull it off in RAW mode, ie outputting a PEF or DNG. That seems a fundamental problem with this rumoured Pentax technology.
Nothing inherently stopping them from making a RAW. I've got stacking software that takes multiple RAW files as input and creates a new RAW file as output.
09-24-2013, 05:06 PM   #39
Veteran Member

There's raw, and then there's raw. Pentax already monkeyed with 'raw' a while back above ISO1600 on the k5.
09-24-2013, 05:17 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Falk Lumo and I discussed an implementation of a system similar to Hasselblad's Piezo drive that is used in the multishot digital backs to give 200MP+ resolution from a 50MP sensor. It is possible for a Pentax DSLR to do this with the electromagnetic IS system. However, this feature may be problematic when used with lenses that have APS-C specific imaging circles - the DA15mm f/4 springs to mind.
Existing cameras with this kind of system seem to take pictures within 1 pixel or less of 'home base'. I don't see how an APS-C imaging circle could have a problem with such a tiny movement? I'd expect they'd run into the same problem with the SR then, no?
09-24-2013, 05:39 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Nothing inherently stopping them from making a RAW.
Well, in the sense that a 'pure' RAW file is supposed to be a straight sensor dump at the time of exposure, it would seem problematic to achieve, since there would be compositing of multiple reads of the sensor involved here. Essentially combining 2 or more 'RAWs' into one, resulting in a file that is in fact a synthesis.
09-24-2013, 07:01 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Yep, Its impressive how good those modes are, but i miss the RAW provision. I suspect Sony uses jpg to speed up the processing.

Two other things that may improve Sony's market share: 1. Their attempt to provide WIFI connection to smart phone's, apparently still not very good though, 2. The ability to run Apps in the camera. Sony announced about a month ago their intention to let others write apps for the Nex cameras. Now, instead of users pleading with the manufacturer to provide new capabilities for their cameras, user groups can customize their own cameras to a greater degree than before. This is an area that Ricoh/Pentax could move into which i think is revolutionary.

Its always a win when you empower the consumer. When computing jumped from mainframe to personal computers, then the consumers responded in droves.
09-25-2013, 01:05 AM - 2 Likes   #43
Veteran Member

This reminds me of an April Fool's joke (Pentax Germany 2008) :
Pentax patent: Sensor resolution doubled by sensor shift
09-25-2013, 01:54 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by froeschle Quote
This reminds me of an April Fool's joke (Pentax Germany 2008) :
Pentax patent: Sensor resolution doubled by sensor shift
What if this is a false rumor and the K-3 really does turn out to be just a very late D7100 clone without that extra sensor shifting gimmick?
09-25-2013, 02:00 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
What if this is a false rumor and the K-3 really does turn out to be just a very late D7100 clone without that extra sensor shifting gimmick?
This is what I am expecting. Pentax, as far as I can recall, has never matched rumours pre-camera announcement.

I suspect that this rumour could come from the 645D development strand rather than the K development strand and wires have got crossed. It could turn up eventually but I wonder if this is just an R&D project at the moment.