Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2013, 02:00 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
What if this is a false rumor and the K-3 really does turn out to be just a very late D7100 clone without that extra sensor shifting gimmick?
This is what I am expecting. Pentax, as far as I can recall, has never matched rumours pre-camera announcement.

I suspect that this rumour could come from the 645D development strand rather than the K development strand and wires have got crossed. It could turn up eventually but I wonder if this is just an R&D project at the moment.

09-25-2013, 02:00 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
then we have another nice camera ;-)
09-25-2013, 02:02 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
RE: Development cost, think in terms of releasing a technology most useful for the 645DII on a high volume dSLR to spread out the costs, as was done with the K-7 and the 645D.
Possible. But personally I am expecting the bare minimum to avoid disappointment.
09-25-2013, 02:24 AM   #49
Pentaxian

What if this is a false rumor and the K-3 really does turn out to be just a very late D7100 clone without that extra sensor shifting gimmick?
Then it's going to be Pentax best DSLR so far, and the AF would be a major step up in performance.
If they improved SR and added "5-axis" support like Olympus have, it will be an improvement that probably sell more cameras than pixel shift feature would.

09-25-2013, 02:34 AM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Then it's going to be Pentax best DSLR so far, and the AF would be a major step up in performance.
If they improved SR and added "5-axis" support like Olympus have, it will be an improvement that probably sell more cameras than pixel shift feature would.
But would it give current Pentax K-5, K-5II, K-5IIs owners any reason to upgrade? The sensor-shift gimmick would have finally been a reason to turn on SR.
09-25-2013, 02:54 AM   #51
Pentaxian

But would it give current Pentax K-5, K-5II, K-5IIs owners any reason to upgrade? The sensor-shift gimmick would have finally been a reason to turn on SR.
There are lots of users that updated from K-5 to K-5 II, so there more of them updating to K-3.
How often would you need more than 24MP? On those shots, how often would you be able to use pixel shift feature?
How often do you bring a tripod when you are shooting?

If you need more than 24MP you can always use longer focal length and stitch several shots together, and it usually works fine without tripod.
09-25-2013, 02:56 AM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
Possible. But personally I am expecting the bare minimum to avoid disappointment.
Wise move But I wonder if Ricoh would have refurbed the Limiteds and increased their prices if they weren't also planning a classy new camera to put them on. Could be more retro - conservative but ultra-solid - than packed with new gizmos, though. I guess we'll soon find out.
09-25-2013, 03:14 AM   #53
Pentaxian

I would have to guess the answers to your other questions. But not for the above one. The answer is ALWAYS. To me, a tripod is almost as mandatory as bringing along a lens and memory card.

09-25-2013, 03:46 AM   #54
Pentaxian

I would have to guess the answers to your other questions. But not for the above one. The answer is ALWAYS. To me, a tripod is almost as mandatory as bringing along a lens and memory card.
You probably belong to a small minority group.
The only times I see tripod regularly used, it's with extreme long glass, at night time or when recording video.
For studio, and a few other occasions tripod is probably often used too, but I think most users relies on image stabilization for more than 90% of the shots (at least on cameras that have image stabilisation available for all lenses).
09-25-2013, 03:48 AM   #55
Site Supporter

You probably belong to a small minority group.
The only times I see tripod regularly used, it's with extreme long glass, at night time or when recording video.
For studio, and a few other occasions tripod is probably often used too, but I think most users relies on image stabilization for more than 90% of the shots (at least on cameras that have image stabilisation available for all lenses).
Go run a poll instead of making random guesses... it would be interesting to know.
09-25-2013, 04:04 AM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
Go run a poll instead of making random guesses... it would be interesting to know.
I'm not sure a poll on Pentaxforums will be more accurate than a random guess. There will not be enough users in the poll, and we usually don't represent the average user very well.
09-25-2013, 04:07 AM   #57

the pentax users will most likely have a higher amount of tripod users due to the far inferior autofocus

(Sorry just trolling )
09-25-2013, 04:12 AM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mehlsack Quote
the pentax users will most likely have a higher amount of tripod users due to the far inferior autofocus

(Sorry just trolling )
Pixel-peep on shots with and without SR. You'll see. I avoid using SR whenever I can. I'll say again: This rumored sensor-shift technology would be a reason to switch it on more often.
09-25-2013, 04:20 AM   #59

in fact i do like that i idea, i use photoacute for superresolution quite often and as far as i recall this exact topic had been discussed more then once in this forum.
for me it is a feature like the tethering (in my hubble opinion) its quite easy to implent and would be a nice to have feature.
09-25-2013, 06:08 AM   #60
Veteran Member

There are lots of users that updated from K-5 to K-5 II, so there more of them updating to K-3.
How often would you need more than 24MP? On those shots, how often would you be able to use pixel shift feature?

If you need more than 24MP you can always use longer focal length and stitch several shots together, and it usually works fine without tripod.
how often would you need more than 16MP?