Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2013, 03:53 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pauld Quote
This past weekend in Winnipeg, Don's Photo hosted a one day sale/mini expo. It was nice to see "Ricoh" representing with a booth. They had a hand full of new Q-7's on display as well and some K5II's for to show the weather sealing and a hand full lenses. The did have the 560mm lens on display for everyone to try out. Can't remember exactly what they had it hooked up to, I think it was a K50. Anyway, I snapped off a few photos just to see exactly how well the lens worked and I was quite surprised how quickly it focused, how quiet it was and how sharp it was as well. I asked the rep the MSRP and he said it was around $7000. I did talk with the reps for a few minutes and they assured me that there is some big announcements coming out by the end of October. No it's not a full frame but he did say that loyal Pentaxians will be very happy with the announcements. Guess we'll have to wait and see.....

Thanks for reporting this and sharing the photographs. Just wondering if you saw the case that the big 56o comes in. Must be pretty big.

09-24-2013, 04:30 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Oh Ye of little faith. Good things are coming.
Monochrome, I have faith, I just happen to have more faith in people like you than I do in corporate spokespeople. I think to many years working for the federal government has made me cynical.

I am pretty excited to see what is coming and I think we will see a full frame camera(for those that want it) by next spring.
09-24-2013, 04:58 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
Glad to hear some positive news but I would put more credit in a second hand rumor from someone on this forum than "Good things are coming" ramblings from a Ricoh employee. They will tell you what you want to hear without telling anything at all.
These fellows are well connected...
Rumblings of an announcement out of my Ricoh rep are a bit more specific - early October.
This is the same rep who openly ruminated about how neat a small sensor camera with interchangeable lenses like the Auto 110 would be, months before the Q was officially announced. It was completely unprompted, and occured after the rumours on this forum began.

Last edited by Mock; 09-24-2013 at 05:08 PM.
09-24-2013, 04:59 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
Monochrome, I have faith, I just happen to have more faith in people like you than I do in corporate spokespeople. I think to many years working for the federal government has made me cynical.

I am pretty excited to see what is coming and I think we will see a full frame camera(for those that want it) by next spring.
Shhhh. Don 't tell anybody.

Our corporate spokespeople in the USA are better now than most people here think - and they're having more fun than they've had in many years.

09-24-2013, 05:21 PM - 2 Likes   #20
Veteran Member

When do I get to open my wallet?
09-24-2013, 05:32 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Dang ! I was planning to go to the Don's Photo show at the Convention Centre in Winterpeg.

Thanks for the pix and the description of the show. Sound like it was great.

BTW...for those that don't know, Don's Photo is a Western Canadian camera store with a number of branches throughout the Canadian prairies. They always have a good chunk of Pentax equipment in store.
09-24-2013, 06:00 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Dang ! I was planning to go to the Don's Photo show at the Convention Centre in Winterpeg.

Thanks for the pix and the description of the show. Sound like it was great.

BTW...for those that don't know, Don's Photo is a Western Canadian camera store with a number of branches throughout the Canadian prairies. They always have a good chunk of Pentax equipment in store.
Not no more. At least not the Edmonton stores. They used to have fantastic stock where you could walk in and grab almost anything. I remember when I bought my 40mm Limited and my Fisheye I could walk in and just pick them up. But in the past year I've seen the store shelfs just loose the product. Especially the South East store, it's all but barren of Pentax stock now...could be because they are so biased at that one location now that two of the guys there that enjoyed the product no longer seem to work there. The turn over got really bad too.... I really only go in there to buy film now.

McBain Camera downtown now seems to stock Pentax on the regular which is nice. They usually can get what I want within a few days.

Now McBain is based in Edmonton, Don's in Winterpeg... so maybe that makes a diff?

09-24-2013, 06:36 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Henrys Dartmouth not so good either.

I think Pentax displays in general have been on the decline for years, Henrys Dartmouth has virtually nothing now. Very sad. The employees are biased and the general consumer only know canon, Nikon and even Sony to a lesser extent. So they just don't carry a lot of stock anymore. It took me a huge amount of convincing to get my neighbor to believe that the k-5 was a better value than the t-4i (the k-5 kit was actually cheaper than the t-4i kit) the sales people pushed him in that direction. I hope things are about to change and the misinformed sales people start to wake up.
09-24-2013, 07:03 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I guess Winnipeg must be a Pentax town then. All the stores here still have a good amount of Pentax on display and I was even surprised to see a few P+S Pentax's at London Drugs the other day as well.
09-24-2013, 07:56 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pauld Quote
I guess Winnipeg must be a Pentax town then. All the stores here still have a good amount of Pentax on display and I was even surprised to see a few P+S Pentax's at London Drugs the other day as well.
London Drugs here... at least four stores have a good selection of hard to find regular stockers . MX1, Q7, K30, K5, K5iis, DA*16-50, Da10-17, all DAL, and even FA 31 ltd were on display at a one store. While another had a K5iis with a sigma 150-500 mounted up which I found very interesting.

Seems as though one cannot overlook London Drugs for iits print or photography departments

09-24-2013, 08:17 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Oh yea...... From the rumored specs of the K3, looks like we'll have a true K5 replacement! *drools*
09-24-2013, 08:41 PM   #27

Photos: Gallery
What are the chances that the high ISO performance is as good as a full frame with this new sensor? Because that's my main reason for upgrading from K-5. Increased DR would be nice too...

Otherwise I might consider a Canon 6D as my second camera.
09-24-2013, 08:54 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by catastrophe Quote
What are the chances that the high ISO performance is as good as a full frame with this new sensor? Because that's my main reason for upgrading from K-5. Increased DR would be nice too...

Recent sensors, like the one in the D7100 haven't shown much/any improvement over the K5. Heck the K5 is still better than the 70D.

It is very unlikely - almost quantum-ly un-possible - that it will have ISO performance as good as a full frame.
09-24-2013, 09:00 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by catastrophe Quote

DR and ISO performance are linked. you need increased DR to achieve increased ISO performance.

My main reason for upgrading from K-5 is also a better ISO performance. I really can't see this happening wit the next flagship Pentax DSLR
09-24-2013, 09:44 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
Not no more. At least not the Edmonton stores. They used to have fantastic stock where you could walk in and grab almost anything. I remember when I bought my 40mm Limited and my Fisheye I could walk in and just pick them up. But in the past year I've seen the store shelfs just loose the product. Especially the South East store, it's all but barren of Pentax stock now...could be because they are so biased at that one location now that two of the guys there that enjoyed the product no longer seem to work there. The turn over got really bad too.... I really only go in there to buy film now.

McBain Camera downtown now seems to stock Pentax on the regular which is nice. They usually can get what I want within a few days.

Now McBain is based in Edmonton, Don's in Winterpeg... so maybe that makes a diff?
Could be. There are three Don's stores in the Peg. I used to live in Edmonton...but that was a long time ago...late '60's Nice city.