Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2013, 02:09 AM   #151
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Tesfaye Quote
some over at DPR were complaining that they did not need 36 MP etc
People still say that. Why? Those who need FPS, memory (even though it's getting cheaper by the day), computer resources (which became an even bigger issue with the Lightroom 4.x update that slows and locks up computers, particularly during NR stages.

09-29-2013, 02:13 AM   #152
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
They are both cameras, same MP count and image size.... the majority of the pictures taken with both systems from the same spot will look almost exactly the same. "Nothing to do with?" .... whatever you say then.

The point I was making was, if you were thinking of upgrading to a D600 for resolution or MP, there would be no need to do that.
Mistral's (and couple others, including myself) is that the K-3 is no competitor for D600 but very peculiar situations.
Of course, if Mpix is what you want, they may be, but then there're a LOT others including smartphones

The thing is, the D600, whether we like it or not is a low end FF meaning it has a vaguely OKish body, slower shutter speeds etc but sports a very (very) nice FF sensor.

The K-3 (at least on a marketing PoV) will be the opposite, an excellent ergonomy, excellent high end body with a (probably very well performing) APS-C sensor. It may or may not include very good AF and very good Flash system as well and a couple more nice things.

The positioning is completely different. And yes, practically you can compare a K-5 with a 5Dmk3 if so you want but on a price/positioning PoV you can't. You can't argue and moan because the Canon is better. Really, at 3 times the price? What a surprise
09-29-2013, 07:48 AM   #153
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What are you smoking? It certainly has a blissful effect.
I do think comments were a bit more varied. I basically agree with what you say about the serious reaction, but I have always been surprised by the amount of whining (as distinct from criticism). This is not specific to Pentax or this forum. I also remember that when the Nikon D800 came out, some over at DPR were complaining that they did not need 36 MP etc. - and this for a gamechanging camera with a very reasonable price.
okay, fair enough, but i already said as much about it myelf, in my subsequent reply . i'm not sure about other brand communities, i suppose it's just human nature (or photographer nature), interesting point though
09-29-2013, 08:46 AM   #154

QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote
okay, fair enough, but i already said as much about it myelf, in my subsequent reply . i'm not sure about other brand communities, i suppose it's just human nature (or photographer nature), interesting point though
I really wish more had the same attitude. After all it is a hobby (for most of us I believe), and it is much better to err on the positive side and be happy rather than always to focus in on faults and shortcomings.

09-30-2013, 04:52 AM   #155

Can't wait for the announcement. I swore I wouldn't purchase another camera to replace my K-7 until I had the glass I wanted, but... I believe this will be quite a leap forward.

Now if only it retains grip compatibility
09-30-2013, 06:18 AM   #156
Pentaxian

I have had problem with removing SD-card on my K-7, and my conclusion is that some brands use slightly larger size on the card which it makes it more difficult to remove, and sometimes it get "stuck" so you have to pull it out. I have never had any problems with Sandisk card though (which I usually prefer to use).
09-30-2013, 06:46 AM   #157
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
In my experience, the design of the K5 SD card slot has always been quite good, and I have a first generation model and have removed the card literally thousands of times with absolutely no issue.. Simply push the card in to eject it, and it pops right out. I have rather large fingers, too.

I imagine this complaint stems from one or two causes:
1. A broken eject spring, in which case it should be sent in for warranty repair (which can be a real, but relatively rare problem)
2. The user not realizing you have to push the card inward to eject and rather simply prying it out with his/her fingernails

I also strongly suspect it's the latter in most cases, since I also recall (anecdotally) that the decided majority of people who claimed to have sensor stain problems with the early runs when asked for example shots provided ones that clearly were mere dust particles yet insisted that their camera was defective, indicating a proclivity among the user base to blame any problem on the machine (especially if there was a "similar" genuine issue they could latch onto) without adequately exploring whether their own activity was to blame.

I also remember many years ago in my IT support days that every single time I got a call for a "stuck" PCMCIA card in a laptop, the user didn't realize that the slot either had a similar push to eject mechanism or a separate release button next to the slot and was simply trying to yank the card out.
very interesting, fascinating i would say, but unfortunately wrong . many people are guilty of exactly what you described (but not that many: i was a "victim" of the stain problem of the early k-5, and you can imagine i was watching the threads related to that, for instance); there's also another common human "flaw": "whatever didn't happen to me cannot logically happen to anybody else, unless they do something stupid", unfortunately that kind of reasoning ignores the fact that the variance of factors at play is too wide, and you need a serious sample of experience (not just one persons, with one camera) in order to draw a conclusion.

anyway, based on my extensive and all encompassing experience, the design of the slot is "too tight" from at least two points of view: clearance between door and card (so hard to remove the card with ones fingers), and the actual size of the slot (yes, Fogel70 is right on the money imho)

09-30-2013, 07:16 AM   #158
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mehlsack Quote
i call BS

We do have a variety of threads where it was shown that a number of DA and Ltd. are quite capable of producing outstanding results on a 35mm Film... Not everone, but some are.
A FF could easily get an Crop-Feature implanted, to make all lenses at least "usable"

For me right now, its about the lenses, which i really find a bit "lame".
There is a little bit of truth to his original statement, and some inaccuracy as well (I shoot a DA lenses on a Z-1p). The lenses actually work fine on full frame, however all of the DA lenses I've tried (which are often quoted around these forums as FF compatible) focus beyond infinity when attached to a film body. I tend to manually focus most of the time, and on occasion I've set the lens to infinity, before taking a shot. The result is horrifically distorted corners and edges (this happens on both the DA40 ltd, and DA50 f1.8). Once I figured out that I was focussing beyond infinity, I've never had that particular problem again.....
09-30-2013, 07:23 AM   #159
Pentaxian

isn't this more if an AF lens design and tolérances issue?
09-30-2013, 07:24 AM   #160
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What are you smoking? It certainly has a blissful effect.
I do think comments were a bit more varied. I basically agree with what you say about the serious reaction, but I have always been surprised by the amount of whining (as distinct from criticism). This is not specific to Pentax or this forum. I also remember that when the Nikon D800 came out, some over at DPR were complaining that they did not need 36 MP etc. - and this for a gamechanging camera with a very reasonable price.
The game changer was the D700.

The exact reason why the D600 was made was because the D800 was seen as a "not reasonable price".
09-30-2013, 08:38 AM   #161
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
But previously value has certainly one of their advantages, and if they give it up, then as a second-tier brand (rightly or wrongly) they better put out a camera FAR ahead of the competition on all other measures. (Which of course is still competing on price -- having a much better camera for the same money.)
I believe this is the long-term business strategy - the value proposition of features and quality per (dollar) unit of price, not price alone

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I am sure it will be a fine camera -- I am mainly concerned about the price. Some previous statements seemed to indicate Ricoh was not concerned with competing on price, so if I'm not going to get the bang-for-my-buck that I am accustomed to from Pentax and can get something more-or-less equivalent from another brand at similar dollars, that will make me pause...
You will still get bang-for-buck, but the blend will be market-level price with more and better features, not market -level features at a lower price.

Many people will be confused by this at first.
09-30-2013, 08:53 AM   #162
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I believe this is the long-term business strategy - the value proposition of features and quality per (dollar) unit of price, not price alone

You will still get bang-for-buck, but the blend will be market-level price with more and better features, not market -level features at a lower price.

Many people will be confused by this at first.
There don't really seem to be 70 per cent plus more and better features on the new HD DA 70mm Limited lens, for example, although its price has increased by around this amount. Are you sure is not Ricoh rather than their long-suffering customers who are a bit confused? It's an extremely fine lens of course and together with the 15mm is the stand-out of the DA Limiteds but at this new price, er ...
09-30-2013, 09:04 AM   #163
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
I have had problem with removing SD-card on my K-7, and my conclusion is that some brands use slightly larger size on the card which it makes it more difficult to remove, and sometimes it get "stuck" so you have to pull it out. I have never had any problems with Sandisk card though (which I usually prefer to use).
I had a couple of cards that were difficult to extract from my k5 so I took some sandpaper to the two long edges of the cards and they work perfectly now. Simple fix
09-30-2013, 09:22 AM   #164
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
There don't really seem to be 70 per cent plus more and better features on the new HD DA 70mm Limited lens, for example, although its price has increased by around this amount. Are you sure is not Ricoh rather than their long-suffering customers who are a bit confused? It's an extremely fine lens of course and together with the 15mm is the stand-out of the DA Limiteds but at this new price, er ...

It's a full stop slower than Canon's 14mm. But then Canon's cost 2300$

I don't like to see Pentax's prices go up either, but I haven't seen any price hikes that aren't more or less in line with the market. The DA 21mm costs 600$, okay, fine, but both Nikon's and Canon's offerings are 500 and not even a full stop faster whilst being much heavier lenses that don't benefit from image stabilization. Of course, we can say "but these are FF lenses!" But that only compounds the expense.

I think people got somewhat spoiled paying really rock bottom prices for some very finely constructed limited glass. Anything even comparable in build quality by Ziess, Voigtlander, or Leica is manual focus and even more expensive.
09-30-2013, 09:22 AM   #165
Pentaxian

I found my K-5 to have much stiffer card slot in terms of removing the card than my K-7 had -- even after ejection, the card seems to grab a bit to the slot interior. I'm sure most everybody knows you have to "push to eject" -- it actually says that it white letters right there, unlike say the battery release where you are hitting a hook off the side, with the SD you are pushing the card itself, and so when it pops back out, you have to get your finger out of the way so it can pop out far enough to grab it. This is probably a tricky thing for some depending on your fingers and dexterity, and so often it doesn't come out very far because your own finger is holding it back. If you can just flick it with your fingernail, it will pop out halfway or more. Anyway, my K-5 definitely grabs a bit even when halfway ejected...