Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2013, 11:50 PM   #286
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
Hm! I use a Pentax K-5IIs and drive a VW Scirocco.

Is there a connection?
Your call on that one - I have a K-5 and a DS3 Citroen (the DSport variant, for those who know the difference), so it's possibly drawing a long bow (European sporty hatch).

10-02-2013, 01:48 AM   #287
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Your call on that one - I have a K-5 and a DS3 Citroen (the DSport variant, for those who know the difference), so it's possibly drawing a long bow (European sporty hatch).
I have two K-5's at the moment and two Audi quattros ;-)
10-02-2013, 02:02 AM   #288
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rorschach Quote
Damn, I feel inadequate with only one K-5 and one Audi A3 Sportback S-line... :P
10-02-2013, 02:09 AM   #289

Photos: Albums
Damn, I feel like the poor immigrant I am

I have a K-7 and take public transport. When we do borrow a car, it is an old Volvo station wagon!

10-02-2013, 02:19 AM   #290
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
Hm! I use a Pentax K-5IIs and drive a VW Scirocco.

Is there a connection?
The old or the new one?
10-02-2013, 02:26 AM   #291
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
sounds more like a Volkswagen.
Ah, you must be from the states. VW's sold "over there" are cheaper and much less well-equipped that the models sold in Europe. Plus most US model VW's are manufactured in LCC's (low cost countries). If I compare my last VW with Highline trim level, it was much closer to an Audi or BMW in terms of build quality and materials. And it was built in Germany, to order.
10-02-2013, 02:29 AM   #292
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Citroen in Australia?! Wow. I've spent quite a lot of time in Victoria (~2,5 years) however I've never seen Citroen there

10-02-2013, 02:34 AM   #293
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Citroen in Australia?! Wow. I've spent quite a lot of time in Victoria (~2,5 years) however I've never seen Citroen there
I think it would be better for everyone if they just kept them all in France!
10-02-2013, 02:48 AM   #294
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
The old or the new one?
2008 2.0 TSI, DSG Auto.

(Bought used).
10-02-2013, 03:00 AM   #295
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
Ah, you must be from the states. VW's sold "over there" are cheaper and much less well-equipped that the models sold in Europe. Plus most US model VW's are manufactured in LCC's (low cost countries). If I compare my last VW with Highline trim level, it was much closer to an Audi or BMW in terms of build quality and materials. And it was built in Germany, to order.
The US gets the higher end ones/better equipped. I think your view is rather distorted.

You might not have seen the stripped down VWs in Germany, then. You're also incorrect about the assertion of being "cheaper and much less equipped".

1. The US doesn't tax these vehicles like crazy. In fact, they are cheaper for me to buy in the US, comparably equipped, than in Germany. The same goes for me buying most German products in Germany. The first part of the puzzle is the shady value added tax (19%). The next is all political and not for this thread.

2. The US is a larger single market than the segmented EU market.

3. Every manufactured car is made in part or whole in LCCs. Take apart any of your cars to repair them and you will see "China", "Malaysia", "Phillipines", "American Samoa", "Czech Republic", "Slovakia", "Kaliningrad", "Belarus", and so on. In fact, go to Bad Schandau on the CZ-De border, stand over the train tracks, and one will see freight trains over and over with thousands of German cars coming IN from eastern Europe to Germany. Thousands of assembled Mercedes, BMWs, VWs, and so on. Not to mention their parts, like for the Phaeton, which receives final assembly in my former city, Dresden, but the parts are all trained in from Eastern Europe, transferred before the main train station to special trams, then sent directly into the factory's basement.

At this point, the vehicles are mostly only assembled in Germany and this trend will increase now due to Germany having the highest energy costs in Europe (again, another discussion topic).

4. They equip cars for how they will be bought. For instance, the golf in the US covers everything from low operating cost transport to upscale sport. The exact same in Germany and in fact, one can buy such things as an E-class mercedes, stripped down, cloth seats, 2.0L engine, and so on in Germany.

There's a wide market VW covered successfully in the US. Not entirely not due to the US rebuilding the company, by the way and under an official plan of deficit spending to prop up German manufacturers. But that's another topic.
10-02-2013, 03:31 AM   #296
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
I bet there's a thread in some australian Citroën forum called "Are we really THAT rare?".
10-02-2013, 03:32 AM   #297
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Damn, I feel inadequate with only one K-5 and one Audi A3 Sportback S-line... :P
No need to feel that way, the model years for my cars are 1998 and 1995

...on the other hand one is an A6 and the other is a gem, an A8 ;-)
10-02-2013, 05:00 AM   #298
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think it would be better for everyone if they just kept them all in France!
Well, there are a few MINI owners here who would now agree with you.
10-02-2013, 05:52 AM   #299

QuoteOriginally posted by Rorschach Quote
Hmmm ,

I have an S1a , ESII , KM ( film ) , KX ( film ) , 2x MX , ME , ME Super , 2x LX , MZ 50 , MZ-S & 2x *istD

plus

Mercedes 219 (W105) , 220S (W111) , 280CE (W123) , 280SE (W126) , 500SEL (W126) , E250D (W124) and C270CDI (S203) .

Her ladyship tells me I have too much stuff , but I say no

Edit - forgot about the P30N , Rollei 35S and Canon G11
10-02-2013, 07:22 AM   #300
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am in the market to buy a good quality, but economical car.
Since this seems to be the right place to ask, do you people have a fair idea of the cost of a automatic, four doors, electrical group K3 ?

JP