Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2013, 02:02 AM   #376
Pentaxian
RobA_Oz's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,125
The focussing motors, as I understand it, are piezo-electric drives (with the exception of the DC drive in the 18-135), which rely on the applied pulse rate for their maximum speed, just like the synchronous speed for an a.c. motor. The load will then determine the slip, or the amount by which the actual speed falls below the maximum. Increasing the pulse rate will increase the maximum speed, but that will generally require the power source to increase the supplied current, because the load on the motor tends to increase with speed. So, theoretically, you can increase the focussing speed by increasing the pulse rate, assuming the power supply can provide the increased current, and the motor can withstand the increased load. Increasing the pulse rate is the easiest part of the process. Of course, the algorithm used to achieve focus is the other part of the process.

10-04-2013, 03:35 AM   #377
Pentaxian
Clavius's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: De Klundert
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,115
QuoteOriginally posted by solar1 Quote
I thought to place things in perspective amid the usual nonsensical stuff about the K3, and what we now do know.

A. the new bump is a high end headphone port.
B. The K3 will have a 'completely new' AF system... implies wonderful and very high end to me.
There is much more than the new AF system, hinted at in section E.
C. The more obvious: New Sony 24 MP APSC sensor - (of course, it's NOT the old sensor used in the A77)
D. Firmware 1.0 by this Monday.
E. The really big thing (not to do with headphone port). This is the UNKNOWN, but apparently very big news (to me) and is yet to be announced. :-)


A.)
asahi man
Regular Member • Posts: 301

it´s only a ...
In reply to waxwaine (about the new bump on the K3 body), 13 hours ago

Sorry,sorry.....but....it is a very simple thing.....
High end headphone port,that´s all

best regards

B.) p.s.:the really plus point is the complete new af system.....nothing to do with the current Pentax autofocus


C.)

asahi man
Regular Member • Posts: 301
Like?
3
Re: K-3 with 24mp Sony A77 sensor will be announced early this month
In reply to Joe Ogiba (repeating the really nonsensical farce about using 2 year old sensor from A77), 2 days ago
It is NOT the same sensor.


Replied in Is this also a picture of the K-3?
Sony aps c 24 is inside :-)
In Pentax SLR Talk 9 hours ago


Pentax cameras with -3 are much faster in this range,much much faster and more accurate than the EOS6 and still faster than the Panasonic.
Under real use.
The K-3 have still Firmware 0.0x.
D.)Monday will be 1.0 in the air.

E.)

Replied in K-3´s mysterious bump
(replying to the wacked/distorted angled photo of k3)
This is a final picture,only bad angle of view :-D And again,under the "big thing" is the headphone connect ;-)
In Pentax SLR Talk 9 hours ago

In reply to Ayoh, 2 days ago Replied in Is this also a picture of the K-3?
asahi man wrote:
Replied in Is this also a picture of the K-3?
Q: What are some of those new things?
A: The autofocus...and more.

Replied in Is this also a picture of the K-3?
K3 was onPhotokina but Ricoh took it behind the line.
there are much more new things in this new (K)3,than in the old Pentax plan. Best regards
In Pentax SLR Talk 2 days ago
Well, if it has a headphone jack, then the K-3 must be more centered around video then. And then option E will probably have something to do with those added video capabilities. Which, no matter how impressive those capabilities may be, are just not very interesting to photographers. So I hope Asahi man is just full of it.

Edit 1: Not only the headphone jack indicates more video-centricity. The new line of HD lenses does that too. HD is a video term for 1024p video! And the continuous LED light on the new flashes is only usefull for video. Ah no! The K-3 is really going to be a camcorder.

Then my personal prediction is that the bulge has something to do with a very quiet screwdrive motor, so the typical screwdrive noise doesn't end up in the movies.

Now... How on earth can the entire Pentax userbase of PHOTOGRAPHY enthusiasts NOT be disappointed when they are given something they're not interested in at all? Yes I know, there must be some that are interested in both, but I would guess they would prefer to use dedicated gear.

Edit 2: I have no idea why this came out as a new post.
10-04-2013, 03:40 AM   #378
Veteran Member
Caat's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Photos: Albums
Posts: 896
A headphone jack is pointless - especially one which is that bulky - on a camera that it is not focussed on video.
10-04-2013, 06:02 AM   #379
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 8,426
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Well, if it has a headphone jack, then the K-3 must be more centered around video then. And then option E will probably have something to do with those added video capabilities. Which, no matter how impressive those capabilities may be, are just not very interesting to photographers. So I hope Asahi man is just full of it.

Edit 1: Not only the headphone jack indicates more video-centricity. The new line of HD lenses does that too. HD is a video term for 1024p video! And the continuous LED light on the new flashes is only usefull for video. Ah no! The K-3 is really going to be a camcorder.

Then my personal prediction is that the bulge has something to do with a very quiet screwdrive motor, so the typical screwdrive noise doesn't end up in the movies.

Now... How on earth can the entire Pentax userbase of PHOTOGRAPHY enthusiasts NOT be disappointed when they are given something they're not interested in at all? Yes I know, there must be some that are interested in both, but I would guess they would prefer to use dedicated gear.
Just because Pentax is not ignoring video (they can't afford to), it doesn't mean the K-3 is centered around it.

HD is the new coating's name, period. Falsely relating it with 1024p video (which should be 1080p, but that's another story) is just making up reasons for complaining.

There is no reason to be disappointed with this yet unannounced camera, unless you're trying to push Pentax users towards another, preferred brand of cameras.
Any claim that it won't improve photographic-related features is pure BS.

10-04-2013, 06:04 AM   #380
Pentaxian
Mistral75's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Paris
Posts: 2,781
I am hereby launching my own, home-brewed rumour: the K-3 will enjoy native 4K video capabilities .
10-04-2013, 06:06 AM   #381
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Norway
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 385
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
is just making up reasons for complaining.
Which is the norm here, isn't it?
10-04-2013, 06:39 AM   #382
Pentaxian
Asahiflex's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Netherlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,753
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I am hereby launching my own, home-brewed rumour: the K-3 will enjoy native 4K video capabilities .
That would be nice but I cannot imagine Ricoh teleporting Pentax this far into the future. Because who owns a 4K TV right now? The 4K market is even smaller than the FF market
10-04-2013, 07:08 AM   #383
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Nelson B.C.
Posts: 3,211
QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
There is something I don't understand. People expect the AF of the supposed K-3 to be faster. But isn't it the AF motor that actually determines how fast the lens focuses? In case of screwdriven lenses, it may be faster because the focus motor is in the body. But with SDM/HSM lenses, how can focus speed be faster if you don't change anything about the AF motor?

The only other option I see is that the AF algorithm is improved. This could make the AF more confident, which may lead to somewhat faster focusing. But I don't see how Pentax AF speed can compete with eg Canon or Nikon without using a different AF motor in their SDM lenses, and this means you actually want new lenses, not a new camera.

As for accuracy, I would think that does depend on the AF system and algorithms in the camera.
Agreed, there is a limit at which the lens can focus. I suspect Pentax will get to that in time with new versions of their lenses.

There is another aspect of speed however. Say for example you have a dog running towards you, or anything approaching. On each shot the camera has to meter, find focus, then trigger the shutter mechanism to expose. What happens when I try this with my K5 is that the lens is capable of keeping up, but the shots are metered randomly and the focus is half way down the dog's body, but inconsistently. By the time the shutter is open everything has moved. A faster lens would only allow the body to hunt a couple of times before missing the shot. I see this less so with birds in flight. The body focuses and shoots, but the time lag means that the exposure is slightly out of focus as the bird is changing distance. A faster meter-focus-expose cycle would help considerably. Then we buy new lenses.

10-04-2013, 07:11 AM   #384
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,161
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Just because Pentax is not ignoring video (they can't afford to), it doesn't mean the K-3 is centered around it.
Exactly but seems difficult to understand for some.
10-04-2013, 07:25 AM   #385
Pentaxian
Clavius's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: De Klundert
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,115
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Exactly but seems difficult to understand for some.
(Dang, I can still see it if someone quotes him? Even though I ignored him. That sucks.)

Not ignoring video is what they did in the K-5 and is a very smart move. The features are already there, and they do not bother the photographer. So why shouldn't they exploit them?

But when the photographing user is going to get disadvantages because of all the video-features, then it's a completely different thing. Flashes with dedicated video features(continuous LED light), discontinueing a perfectly good lens line to replace it with a similar one especially designed for (HD: 1024p) video, and placing giant headphone jacks on cameras is total video dedication.

Most photographers can't be bother with such features, and video enthusiasts will already have their dedicated tools. So I refuse to believe Pentax is THAT stupid. All the rumors must be fake.
10-04-2013, 07:45 AM   #386
Senior Member
TomE's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 294
Focus

My FF Nikon will handle that situation just fine, so why doesn't Pentax simply copy their focus system instead of struggling trying to fix the system they presently are using?

FWIW, my MZ-S film camera focus far faster than my K5 does in all situations using the same lenses!

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote

There is another aspect of speed however. Say for example you have a dog running towards you, or anything approaching. On each shot the camera has to meter, find focus, then trigger the shutter mechanism to expose. What happens when I try this with my K5 is that the lens is capable of keeping up, but the shots are metered randomly and the focus is half way down the dog's body, but inconsistently. By the time the shutter is open everything has moved. A faster lens would only allow the body to hunt a couple of times before missing the shot. I see this less so with birds in flight. The body focuses and shoots, but the time lag means that the exposure is slightly out of focus as the bird is changing distance..
10-04-2013, 07:48 AM   #387
Forum Member
wpompen's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 64
Derek, I'm struggling with this too (K5). Looking back at my "experience" with this camera I think it's the one big frustration, I can't wait to give the K3 a test ride! (keeping the K5II in mind as an alternative)
10-04-2013, 08:01 AM   #388
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southern Indiana
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,957
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
(Dang, I can still see it if someone quotes him? Even though I ignored him. That sucks.)

Not ignoring video is what they did in the K-5 and is a very smart move. The features are already there, and they do not bother the photographer. So why shouldn't they exploit them?

But when the photographing user is going to get disadvantages because of all the video-features, then it's a completely different thing. Flashes with dedicated video features(continuous LED light), discontinueing a perfectly good lens line to replace it with a similar one especially designed for (HD: 1024p) video, and placing giant headphone jacks on cameras is total video dedication.

Most photographers can't be bother with such features, and video enthusiasts will already have their dedicated tools. So I refuse to believe Pentax is THAT stupid. All the rumors must be fake.
I don't understand why Pentaxians are so quick to stick their heads in the sand with regard to new features of any kind. No EVF. No video. Just give me a stripped down K1000 digital camera and I'm good to go. That's just crazy in today's market.

Video features do not impede the ability to use a camera for still photography and in general, they do not increase cost. Video lights are often used by photographers who only do still photography. Improvements in engines that improve video, often improve frames per second and other processing.

I just don't see that adding video features does anything negative, while it expands the brand to a new group of people. That's all good, from my perspective.
10-04-2013, 08:03 AM   #389
Pentaxian
starbase218's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Groningen, The Netherlands
Posts: 1,020
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
The focussing motors, as I understand it, are piezo-electric drives (with the exception of the DC drive in the 18-135), which rely on the applied pulse rate for their maximum speed, just like the synchronous speed for an a.c. motor. The load will then determine the slip, or the amount by which the actual speed falls below the maximum. Increasing the pulse rate will increase the maximum speed, but that will generally require the power source to increase the supplied current, because the load on the motor tends to increase with speed. So, theoretically, you can increase the focussing speed by increasing the pulse rate, assuming the power supply can provide the increased current, and the motor can withstand the increased load. Increasing the pulse rate is the easiest part of the process. Of course, the algorithm used to achieve focus is the other part of the process.
Interesting. But, considering that SDM uses the same contacts as powerzoom or indeed the DC motor such as found in the 18-135, maybe these contacts just carry DC that is converted to pulses by electronics within the lens(?)
10-04-2013, 08:09 AM   #390
Veteran Member
Andi Lo's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,925
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't understand why Pentaxians are so quick to stick their heads in the sand with regard to new features of any kind. No EVF. No video. Just give me a stripped down K1000 digital camera and I'm good to go. That's just crazy in today's market.

Video features do not impede the ability to use a camera for still photography and in general, they do not increase cost. Video lights are often used by photographers who only do still photography. Improvements in engines that improve video, often improve frames per second and other processing.

I just don't see that adding video features does anything negative, while it expands the brand to a new group of people. That's all good, from my perspective.
I think what people are wary about is the camera being a jack of all trades, or if movie mode compromises the still part (which as you said, it likely won't).

I haven't seen any manufacturer other than sony said firmly that "this is a stills camera through and through, which video mixed in just for kicks" for any camera models yet.

Personally I'd love to see a hybrid EVF, as long as it's good. Being able to see bokeh composition in real time is really a wonderful thing.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
af, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, pre-production, ricoh, sensor, sensors, system
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ricoh Imaging promises new hi-end rumours, possible another company name change Uluru Photographic Industry and Professionals 21 08-27-2013 04:40 AM
Phase Detect AF Tracking Test Pheo Pentax K-30 & K-50 3 07-15-2012 12:58 AM
Ricoh promises some very high-end Ricoh products this year... JohnBee Pentax News and Rumors 33 06-28-2012 04:50 AM
Warren Buffett Promises to Pay Off the National Debt–If Republicans Help stevewig General Talk 6 02-15-2012 10:00 AM
BBC: Cameron promises powers to limit executives' pay jolepp General Talk 2 01-08-2012 04:54 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:37 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top