Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2013, 12:26 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by docucap Quote
That is a dumb question. This is a forum where you discuss Pentax gear. Not praise it or be flamed, or maybe it is...
I know the truth hurts. I expected some fanboy reaction. I am not a fanboy like you I consider the competition when looking at the k-3, Pentax lags. Why not put up a reasonable argument why the K-3 is a cutting edge flagship camera? But you have to consider Nikon and Cannon when you do this and not just looking back at dated Pentax gear. Which is what is done by fanboys. The K-3 arrives as a substandard camera that can not be compare to Nikon, Cannon. Pentax has zero innovation in this camera. The only place the K-3 will be a hit is on this forum, pumped by fanboys like you to other fanboys.
Troll this not all opposing viewpoints are posted by trolls. Just keeping telling youself pentax has a great future with cameras like these. Talk to you later fanboy!
Cannon is that a new brand ?

09-26-2013, 12:28 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by solar1 Quote
Pre-production K3s are out there right now
4 hours ago
Hi there Pentaxians,

I hear there are people who have their hands on K-3s as we speak.
Let's hope this is true. It's bound to be true some time, so why not now!

The specs leaked on Photorumors from Sep. 23 appear to be mostly correct: 24MP Sony sensor, new autofocus system with more AF points, no AA filter, some new RGB sensor for either metering or AF not sure which.
More AF points may be welcome, but I hope they won't overdo it so that manually selecting the appropriate AF-point would be costing me more time.
I don't care about 24MP, but I accept this is "evolution". The only thing this means for me is having to review my storage requirements: purchase more/bigger memory cards, faster cycle my shots from my work hard drive to my archive hard drives and add new hard drives for archive and back-up. I.e. it's only a cost...

Some new tidbits for you to consider tonight:

-New flash system
I suppose with the new flashes this was to be expected. At least I was hoping for this.

-The AF sensors are *all* cross sensors
That would be super!! The reason why I don't often use the outlying sensors, whereas they *are* often conveniently located.

-Tracking AF ! !
Nice, hope it will be easy to switch to from my normal shooting mode. I'm not really unhappy with the current bodies on this (though obviously some improvement will be welcome) except for slightly too many button presses required for me to switch to a tracking friendly setup from my normal setup.

-Some new in-camera functions not further specified
Looking forward to those. I found that these little things that don't feature in the traditional spec lists are often what differentiates Pentax from other offerings. Generally these are very practical photographer oriented features.

-The body is similar to the K5, but something about Ricoh doing something different with the display.
I like the fact that it would come in a similar body as the K-5. It seems Pentax always needs at least a second version to get things right after moving to a new body concept. The K10D and the K-7 were both great cameras, but they required knowing their weaknesses to get the best results, which I felt neither the K20D nor the K-5 necessitated. If a K-3 would be a entirely new concept again, I might have opted for a K-5II to tie me over until the K-3's successor would be on the market getting this exactly right.

Well that this certainly sounds like Ricoh may indeed be quite serious about expanding the Pentax lineup. Hope the announcement comes beginning of October, not towards the end. There is talk it will be Oct. 8.
I'm looking forward to that date then. I'll be happily putting my K-5 through a last ordeal in November and then I'll consider the next step... = a K-3 if the above is true.

I also heard something very specific about FF for next year that I nearly couldn't believe and I'm trying to get confirmed. Will let you know if I do. Also something about pro-level support...wow! 2014 could be a very big year for the brand if this holds water.
FF doesn't interest me one bit. But nice if Ricoh would be able to provide this option to people (though I wonder how many of the FF wishers will actually get one...) as long as this doesn't mean they will no longer sell a capable APS-C flagship.

We shall see, when we shall see.
Indeed!!

Tx Matt!!

Wim
09-26-2013, 12:33 AM - 2 Likes   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is a dumb question. This is a forum where you discuss Pentax gear. Not praise it or be flamed, or maybe it is...
I know the truth hurts. I expected some fanboy reaction. I am not a fanboy like you I consider the competition when looking at the k-3, Pentax lags. Why not put up a reasonable argument why the K-3 is a cutting edge flagship camera? But you have to consider Nikon and Cannon when you do this and not just look back at dated Pentax gear. Which is what is done by fanboys. The K-3 arrives as a substandard camera that can not be compare to Nikon, Cannon. Pentax has zero innovation in this camera. The only place the K-3 will be a hit is on this forum, pumped by fanboys like you to other fanboys.
Troll this not all opposing viewpoints are posted by trolls. Just keeping telling youself pentax has a great future with cameras like these. Talk to you later fanboy!
Pentax is seemingly not a good choice for you, so you are getting out. Good for you and the right thing to do in those circumstances.

Now don't let the door hit you on the way out. You can continue whining in a Canikon forum somewhere.

Last edited by MRRiley; 09-26-2013 at 07:17 AM.
09-26-2013, 12:37 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
some new RGB sensor for either metering or AF
Probably both, like Nikon. A colour sensor is used to help improve light metering, and also linked to the AF system to help subject tracking/scene detection.

"Combined with the Scene Recognition System utilizing a 2,016-pixel RGB sensor that recognizes smaller subjects, the D600 AF shows higher subject-tracking and subject-identification performance."

09-26-2013, 12:42 AM   #35
Veteran Member

..Now I see why the K-3 is such a great camera. A flagship camera indeed! LOL ...
All this angst over a camera that no one has ever seen or used.

The K-3 (if that's what it is) could be amazing, it could be a total dog, it could be just ordinary, or it could be the equal of any Nikon or Canon. Who knows. Not worth arguing about anything - yet
09-26-2013, 12:47 AM   #36
Veteran Member

The K-3 arrives as a substandard camera that can not be compare to Nikon, Cannon. Pentax has zero innovation in this camera
Let's just wait until the camera comes out, eh?
09-26-2013, 12:48 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This sounds very exciting. If this is true, it seems Pentax is really addressing the biggest weaknesses in its current models.
Should this be the case, both of my workhorse bodies may be due for replacement within the next year or so!

09-26-2013, 12:55 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
though I wonder how many of the FF wishers will actually get one...
A very good point. I imagine that anyone who genuinely needs full frame has got one by now. I certainly didn't need it, but I bought a Nikon D800 anyway, and I am currently running dual systems. I love the cropability (is that even a word?) that 36 MP gives me, as it means I don't have to suffer the expense and weight of humungous telephoto lenses. That said, I could probably happily manage with 24 MP. When Pentax brings out a FF, I will probably sell my Nikon gear. I will definitely be buying the K-3 if the postulated specifications are accurate.

Signed.... a happy man!
09-26-2013, 01:07 AM - 1 Like   #39

That is a dumb question.
It seems you did not get my point. I did not question your arguments, but the fact that you held so strong opinions made me wonder why you would spend so much negative energy here. I am not a fanboy (neither a fan nor a boy), and one day I may migrate to another system, depending on my needs. But I see no need to make a lot of noise.
Make good choices based on your specific needs - and stay happy!

Talk to you later fanboy!
You are welcome, but I shall see no need to reply.
09-26-2013, 01:41 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Promises, promises K3 24mp New tracking AF

Everyone has a right to their own opinion, whether right or wrong.

Now we only have rumors of the K-3. Nothing solid yet. When the Nikon released their cameras with the 16mp Sony Exmor sensor, the dr was good but then Pentax released the K-5 and people went wow regardless of brand. Every camera system has their compromises. Canon's cameras have essentially the same sensor since the 7D, 18mp CMOS that has decent DR and Iso capabilities. Nikon designs a few chips but for the most part buys sensors from other companies. The D5200 uses a Toshiba sensor.

As far as FF camera sales being a larger customer base, when do professional photographer sales outnumber consumer sales?

Canon's and Nikon's lower tier cameras don't have more features than Pentax camera except for MP but that's far from the most important specification.

Where Canon and Nikon shine is their professional support networks. Pentax's pro network was non-existent. We shall see what Ricoh does.

Canon and Nikon have been facing pressure from both all sides of the market. Goliath is not invincible. Look no further than Kodak for that.

Just my .02 from a dslr-less member.
I know the truth hurts. I expected some fanboy reaction. I am not a fanboy like you I consider the competition when looking at the k-3, Pentax lags. Why not put up a reasonable argument why the K-3 is a cutting edge flagship camera? But you have to consider Nikon and Cannon when you do this and not just looking back at dated Pentax gear. Which is what is done by fanboys. The K-3 arrives as a substandard camera that can not be compare to Nikon, Cannon. Pentax has zero innovation in this camera. The only place the K-3 will be a hit is on this forum, pumped by fanboys like you to other fanboys.
09-26-2013, 01:44 AM   #41
Veteran Member

All bickering aside, any confirmation if it will have rumored magical sensor-shift trick?
09-26-2013, 01:47 AM   #42
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
I'm waiting for this to upgrade my K-20D
Ditto^^

Rumour looks good on face value, looking forward to an announcement
09-26-2013, 02:22 AM   #43

the rumored specs look very tempting, but even with a new AF-System i doubt that there will be much of an improvment in the tracking/ af section.
In my opinion, since the k5 the main part slowing Pentax AF-down are the Lenses and even a 18-135 and sigma 70-200f2,8 are not THAT fast. Maybe they can be pushed with the new AF-System, but then what?
Should pentax hope that Sigma und Tamron are continuing to produce lenses for them?

With their recent "lens" upgrade rate it maight take 5 years to get a decent pentax DA* DC line up

I do like the specs non the less, but sadly that wont change that much for me right now. But maybe its to much to ask from a big company.
09-26-2013, 02:23 AM - 1 Like   #44
Forum Member

For the folks thinking about buying their 1st DLSR how many do you think will even consider Pentax? How many do you think are aware there is a camera brand named Pentax? I have been a Pentax customer for a very long time. When I am asked by friends "What brand camera should I buy?" the answer has not been Pentax, at least not in last couple of decades.
Ok I'll bite.. anyone who's read a recent magazine, I've seen Pentax on the front cover of pretty much every Photomagazine in recent weeks and months. DP Review also carries Pentax adverts.

QuoteQuote:
The k-3 specs compared to other brands are not all that impressive. Pentax’s line of cameras and lenses compared to their completion makes one think they are way out of there league, as in Pentax is clearly in the minor league when it comes to Nikon and Cannon. I wish this was not the case since I own some of the better glass from when they could actually be considered a competitor in the photography market.
Lens wise Pentax is AT LEAST on a par with Canon and Nikon, it looses a little ground (although Sigma and Tamron remove most of the gap) at the longer end, f2.8 70-200 and similar zooms (although they do carry a pro standard f2.8 200), but gains a LOT of ground in the 100mm or less range with the best range of primes by any manufacturer. When the top end of the Pentax IS being compared to Leica lenses they must be good.

QuoteQuote:
As far as pro gear, LOL really that’s a funny one. Not in this century, maybe the last century. Enthusiasts that do not currently own a bunch of Pentax glass do not consider Pentax a viable brand.
ALL of the DA* (which are fully weathersealed, unlike some of the competition) and Limited lenses are easilly pro quality.

In short, while Pentax Marketting has, indeed, let the brand down in the past. It appears to have picked up noticeably in Ricoh ownership and more particularly they are consistantly producing top quality, well performing photographers cameras.

Don't get me wrong, the competition have the edge in areas, and lack of FF is a percieved weakness, but in pure performance terms against the competition they are right up there. The K5-IIs costs way less than the 70D and beats it on IQ, and has more useful features (like weather sealing) and comparable (or only slightly worse) IQ to the comparable Nikons.
09-26-2013, 02:51 AM   #45

QuoteOriginally posted by Mehlsack Quote
the rumored specs look very tempting, but even with a new AF-System i doubt that there will be much of an improvment in the tracking/ af section.
In my opinion, since the k5 the main part slowing Pentax AF-down are the Lenses and even a 18-135 and sigma 70-200f2,8 are not THAT fast. Maybe they can be pushed with the new AF-System, but then what?
Should pentax hope that Sigma und Tamron are continuing to produce lenses for them?

With their recent "lens" upgrade rate it maight take 5 years to get a decent pentax DA* DC line up

I do like the specs non the less, but sadly that wont change that much for me right now. But maybe its to much to ask from a big company.

I wonder if HD Versions of the da* with updated focus motors will be announced as well. After all why release a camera with a fast AF system only to be hamstrung by lenses with slow AF motors?