Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2013, 03:04 AM   #46
Col
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by solar1 Quote
Pre-production K3s are out there right now
4 hours ago

-The body is similar to the K5, but something about Ricoh doing something different with the display.

We shall see, when we shall see.
What like articulating it?

With the HD versions of the limited coming in black and silver any chance of some classic "silver" in the body?

09-26-2013, 03:23 AM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ledohung Quote
Many times I almost move to Nikon… seriously, especially Ebay has some deal that I can get Brand new D600 or D700 at the price of 2nd but there is something still make me stick with Pentax: Pentax community, FA Ltd, Zeiss ZK (ZK shows different color from ZA, ZF or ZE), and Voigtlander

For example:

I always feel very refresh each time I see these pics

Pentax K200D:

But the K200D colors is not the same as K-5 and K-x generation sensors

I agree with you that there's something really special about pentax bodies and rendering though

Having never used D7100, I hope the rendering goes back to the K10/K20 style... and articulating LCD pleasseeee. not expecting too much though

QuoteQuote:
ALL of the DA* (which are fully weathersealed, unlike some of the competition) and Limited lenses are easilly pro quality.
IQ wise yes but to be considered pro gear, DA* have many weaknesses, biggest of which being SDM, and the rather slow focus -both may have been remedied though, haven't followed too closely since I decided to stay away from anything SDM 3 or so years ago. I just remembered that these days we have the SDM screwdrive hack, which is really awesome, but having to buy an old camera in order to hack a lens doesnt seem pro to me.

I think pentax can really be THE outdoorsy-pro brand if they work really hard on it. For landscapes and rugged conditions. They already have the featureset, lenses and resources to do it. Pentax is an excellent entry level camera as well as the featureset is much better at the same price points.

IQ pentax lenses that exist is indeed equal to canikon's equivalents, but there are WAY more options in canikon, which may suit some pros better. eg Canon 17mm/24mm TS, Nikon 14-24, LOTS of UWA flavors outside the usual f/4-ish 8-24mm lenses, and primes in many FL (not just 50 and 70) that go down to 1.8 or even 1.4. OTOH they dont have anything close to DA lims though, so it's more of a "choose the brand that have the lens you want"

DA limited have really special qualities that I adore but imho more of an enthusiast lens. They have excellent qualities but for the price it's really slow. Most pros dont really care about gear size as long as it's still manageable. Most dont care much about "pixie dust" either (which DA 15 and FA 77 have in spades imho), as long as it works.

Last edited by Andi Lo; 09-26-2013 at 04:23 AM.
09-26-2013, 03:47 AM - 1 Like   #48
Pentaxian

Indeed, Pentax high-end lenses are lacking a true ring ultrasonic motor.
09-26-2013, 03:48 AM   #49

QuoteOriginally posted by Katier Quote
Ok I'll bite.. anyone who's read a recent magazine, I've seen Pentax on the front cover of pretty much every Photomagazine in recent weeks and months. DP Review also carries Pentax adverts.

Lens wise Pentax is AT LEAST on a par with Canon and Nikon, it looses a little ground (although Sigma and Tamron remove most of the gap) at the longer end, f2.8 70-200 and similar zooms (although they do carry a pro standard f2.8 200), but gains a LOT of ground in the 100mm or less range with the best range of primes by any manufacturer. When the top end of the Pentax IS being compared to Leica lenses they must be good.

ALL of the DA* (which are fully weathersealed, unlike some of the competition) and Limited lenses are easilly pro quality.

In short, while Pentax Marketting has, indeed, let the brand down in the past. It appears to have picked up noticeably in Ricoh ownership and more particularly they are consistantly producing top quality, well performing photographers cameras.

Don't get me wrong, the competition have the edge in areas, and lack of FF is a percieved weakness, but in pure performance terms against the competition they are right up there. The K5-IIs costs way less than the 70D and beats it on IQ, and has more useful features (like weather sealing) and comparable (or only slightly worse) IQ to the comparable Nikons.

Yes. Sorry other guy (whoever he was responding to here) but you got owned.

09-26-2013, 03:49 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by docucap Quote
Nice argument on why the K-3 is or is going to be a great camera.
My post was not just to piss off fanboys, but I would like give anyone thinking about purchasing a pentax camera an honest opinion from a long term pentax customer. Although I think those new customers interested in Pentax are in short supply at this point in Pentax's history. You can't argue that point and only Pentax is to blame for it.

I think I will ban myself from this thread, I think I'm hurting too many folks with the truth...
I'm always amused by the arrogance of anti pentax crusades in a pentax forum.

Do you really expect there to be anything but a majority of 'fanboys' in a brand centric forum.?
So your first point "My post was not just to piss off fanboys, " a call foul that was you intent.

And you 2nd point "customers interested in Pentax are in short supply at this point in Pentax's history. You can't argue that point and only Pentax is to blame for it." Given Ricohs market share has been on the increase just what are you basing your statement on ?

Which makes you third point the biggest joke yet, " I think I'm hurting too many folks with the truth..."

Pentax originally and it appears Ricoh today are still trying to divest themselves of low stake high overhead customers , These invariably think Pentax owes them something for years of minimal investment and maximum whining, I wonder , your ex-stake in Pentax/Ricoh.
09-26-2013, 03:51 AM   #51
Site Supporter

A questions for everyone so anxious to have FF: Aren't the DA* lenses optimized for APS-C? What will happen if they are paired with a FF sensor?
09-26-2013, 03:57 AM   #52

QuoteOriginally posted by docucap Quote
I think I will ban myself from this thread, I think I'm hurting too many folks with the truth...
I am too pretty much leaving Pentax (I have a D3 here waiting to go, just waiting for some lenses) - but seriously, the K-5 II owns a lot of Nikons, FFs or not, in a LOT of areas.

For starters, the Nikon menu system was designed by 'tards. It's not just "different" or "I'm not used to it." it's deadset retarded. Not just the menus but the camera controls themselves. Quick example, positive exposure compensation goes to the LEFT. I am aware the Japanese read backwards but they should face the fact that the generally accepted standard is LEFT TO RIGHT, meaning positive would be RIGHT. You can change the direction you flick the dial in order to make it happen, but not the retarded right to left business. You can also change the direction for aperture... but it then doesn't match compensation. No matter which way around you have, SOMETHING is at odds with something else - and this is just the very very beginning of a cesspool of horrible design. HORRIBLE.
Pentax is on the other hand is clean, clear and logical.

Then there are Nikon lens caps. Small thing you say... OK so why can't they get it right. Get a DA Pentax lens cap, then a cheap Sigma lens cap, then a Nikon one, and the Sigma one craps all over the Nikon one... and the Pentax craps all over them both.
Then there is the shutter sound that woke the bloody neighbours. Is this a useless feature?

Last edited by Ash; 09-26-2013 at 05:18 AM.
09-26-2013, 03:58 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by virtualjsk Quote
A questions for everyone so anxious to have FF: Aren't the DA* lenses optimized for APS-C? What will happen if they are paired with a FF sensor?
You get horrible vignetting and distorted/stretched edges.
09-26-2013, 03:59 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mehlsack Quote
the rumored specs look very tempting, but even with a new AF-System i doubt that there will be much of an improvment in the tracking/ af section.
In my opinion, since the k5 the main part slowing Pentax AF-down are the Lenses and even a 18-135 and sigma 70-200f2,8 are not THAT fast. Maybe they can be pushed with the new AF-System, but then what?
Should pentax hope that Sigma und Tamron are continuing to produce lenses for them?

With their recent "lens" upgrade rate it maight take 5 years to get a decent pentax DA* DC line up

I do like the specs non the less, but sadly that wont change that much for me right now. But maybe its to much to ask from a big company.
Not convinced on your point.

A da*50-135 (not the fastest jack in the box ) can focus from 1.0m to infinity in 1.5 secs , There is not any moving subject I can imagine that can outpace that.
Therefore providing predictive tracking and processing is not introducing excessive latency (as it does today) then Pentax AF infrastructure is quite capable of delivering Canon/Nikon mid level beating AF-c performance.
09-26-2013, 03:59 AM   #55

QuoteOriginally posted by virtualjsk Quote
Almost none of them will work, we know. DA 40 LTD will work.
FF hopers are also hoping for the introduction of new lenses, to go with the few that work (FA 31, FA 43, FA 50 f1.4, FA 77), but there are obviously those with good legacy glass too.
09-26-2013, 04:05 AM - 1 Like   #56

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
Originally posted by virtualjsk
You get horrible vignetting and distorted/stretched edges.
i call BS

We do have a variety of threads where it was shown that a number of DA and Ltd. are quite capable of producing outstanding results on a 35mm Film... Not everone, but some are.
A FF could easily get an Crop-Feature implanted, to make all lenses at least "usable"

For me right now, its about the lenses, which i really find a bit "lame".
09-26-2013, 04:12 AM   #57
Veteran Member

i call BS

We do have a variety of threads where it was shown that a number of DA and Ltd. are quite capable of producing outstanding results on a 35mm Film... Not everone, but some are.
A FF could easily get an Crop-Feature implanted, to make all lenses at least "usable"

Not really BS... but I was being very general and to the point: RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Compatibility of DA Lenses on Full Frame

The DA* primes are ok (distortion on the edges, but usable), the zooms are not.
09-26-2013, 04:15 AM   #58

you were so "general" that infact you over simplified a given fact, despite you knew better, that is almost malicous intent.....
09-26-2013, 04:26 AM   #59
Veteran Member

i call BS

Distortion and unsharp edges at f/8 (which happens to most DA lenses)in any of the zoom range is unacceptable. I dont think anyone have posted serious work using film and pentax DA lenses, just the usual fun and family shots, for that purpose it does deliver.

I actually dont care whether they have standard zooms in place or not as Sigma 12-24, Tamron 28-75, 24-70, and Sigma 70-200 is what I'll end up using anyway if I have pentax FF. Pentax should just get the standard zoom done at some point for completion's sake, and concentrate on what they do best, primes. (Yes I know 50-135 and 60-250 are awesome... those are exceptions )

Last edited by Andi Lo; 09-26-2013 at 04:33 AM.
09-26-2013, 04:26 AM   #60
Veteran Member

you were so "general" that infact you over simplified a given fact, despite you knew better, that is almost malicous intent.....
Or just laziness... but, whatever.