Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2013, 07:52 AM   #91
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
There is anohter thread around here somewhere entitled New Camera/s by Christmas

All the talk is about the K-3. What do you think is missing?
Well if there was to be a 645d II and the performance increase was similar to K-5 --> K3, 64D -->645D II. This could be a very interesting camera, could Pentax be the first company to bring CMOS to the medium format world? They have been talking about this for years. If so this could possible be the most exciting camera release in recent Pentax history.

09-26-2013, 08:03 AM   #92
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
But the K200D colors is not the same as K-5 and K-x generation sensors

I agree with you that there's something really special about pentax bodies and rendering though

Having never used D7100, I hope the rendering goes back to the K10/K20 style... and articulating LCD pleasseeee. not expecting too much though

IQ wise yes but to be considered pro gear, DA* have many weaknesses, biggest of which being SDM, and the rather slow focus -both may have been remedied though, haven't followed too closely since I decided to stay away from anything SDM 3 or so years ago. I just remembered that these days we have the SDM screwdrive hack, which is really awesome, but having to buy an old camera in order to hack a lens doesnt seem pro to me.

I think pentax can really be THE outdoorsy-pro brand if they work really hard on it. For landscapes and rugged conditions. They already have the featureset, lenses and resources to do it. Pentax is an excellent entry level camera as well as the featureset is much better at the same price points.

IQ pentax lenses that exist is indeed equal to canikon's equivalents, but there are WAY more options in canikon, which may suit some pros better. eg Canon 17mm/24mm TS, Nikon 14-24, LOTS of UWA flavors outside the usual f/4-ish 8-24mm lenses, and primes in many FL (not just 50 and 70) that go down to 1.8 or even 1.4. OTOH they dont have anything close to DA lims though, so it's more of a "choose the brand that have the lens you want"

DA limited have really special qualities that I adore but imho more of an enthusiast lens. They have excellent qualities but for the price it's really slow. Most pros dont really care about gear size as long as it's still manageable. Most dont care much about "pixie dust" either (which DA 15 and FA 77 have in spades imho), as long as it works.
Yeah the color from K200D is different from others.

I still doubt about new FF because of FA lens system, there are not many FA lenses so how Pentaxians can use them with FF. But even K3 is APS-C with those rumors is still interesting , however, I am still waiting for FF !
09-26-2013, 08:04 AM   #93
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Is the lack of an AA filter turning into a trend? The K-5 II experimented with that option and the Q7 removed it all together.
Using K5IIs myself, I am impressed and convince myself that I will only buy AA filter-less camera in the future.
Glad PENTAX continue this trend and be a leader in this. The Pro is much more than the Cons in this case.

09-26-2013, 08:07 AM   #94
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
btw, will it be Ricoh K-3 or Pentax k-3?

09-26-2013, 08:07 AM   #95
Pentaxian

Only thing that is still a but, is K-3 is not in officially announced. So we don't actually know how big step it is going to be...all of these rumors can be just boys or gals playing around a thread mill and giggle while they drink energy softdrinks.

So 645D is still quite big news in here. Sorry about this sceptic thinking.

I'm hoping it will be true.
09-26-2013, 08:08 AM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ledohung Quote
Yeah the color from K200D is different from others.

I still doubt about new FF because of FA lens system, there are not many FA lenses so how Pentaxians can use them with FF. But even K3 is APS-C with those rumors is still interesting , however, I am still waiting for FF !
I'm not even sure those FA's (I have the 31 and the 77) will address digital full frame in any case, or so I've been told elsewhere.

Can anyone that knows confirm this, thanks?
09-26-2013, 08:13 AM   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parry Quote
I'm not even sure those FA's (I have the 31 and the 77) will address digital full frame in any case, or so I've been told elsewhere.

Why not?
PENTAX last FF compatible "new" lens is the DFA 100mm macro WR, so yes, "FA" will fit full-frame!

What they will have to do is add HD coating to the FA* lens and re-issue them!

09-26-2013, 08:14 AM   #98
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parry Quote

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/29917-pentax-f...tml#post289256

That post has translated comments on the three FA limiteds.
09-26-2013, 08:14 AM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
Why not?
PENTAX last FF compatible "new" lens is the DFA 100mm macro WR, so yes, "FA" will fit full-frame!

What they will have to do is add HD coating to the FA* lens and re-issue them!
That's a start and good news, thanks.
09-26-2013, 08:17 AM   #100
Veteran Member

Thank you!

That's what we want. Then 31mm, 50mm and 77mm lenses will be 31mm, 50mm and 77mm!
09-26-2013, 08:35 AM   #101
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
btw, will it be Ricoh K-3 or Pentax k-3?
Really?
09-26-2013, 08:54 AM   #102

but canon dont have SR system in the sensor, that need extra coverage for moving the sensor
09-26-2013, 09:01 AM   #103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Is the lack of an AA filter turning into a trend? The K-5 II experimented with that option and the Q7 removed it all together.
The higher the MP, the less useful a AA filter is... so for a 5 MP camera it's pretty critical but for a 24MP camera it's almost irrelevant (to me).

Plus the software to fix Moire has gotten much better as well.
09-26-2013, 09:45 AM   #104

IQ wise yes but to be considered pro gear, DA* have many weaknesses, biggest of which being SDM, and the rather slow focus -both may have been remedied though, haven't followed too closely since I decided to stay away from anything SDM 3 or so years ago. I just remembered that these days we have the SDM screwdrive hack, which is really awesome, but having to buy an old camera in order to hack a lens doesnt seem pro to me.

IQ pentax lenses that exist is indeed equal to canikon's equivalents, but there are WAY more options in canikon, which may suit some pros better. eg Canon 17mm/24mm TS, Nikon 14-24, LOTS of UWA flavors outside the usual f/4-ish 8-24mm lenses, and primes in many FL (not just 50 and 70) that go down to 1.8 or even 1.4. OTOH they dont have anything close to DA lims though, so it's more of a "choose the brand that have the lens you want"

DA limited have really special qualities that I adore but imho more of an enthusiast lens. They have excellent qualities but for the price it's really slow. Most pros dont really care about gear size as long as it's still manageable. Most dont care much about "pixie dust" either (which DA 15 and FA 77 have in spades imho), as long as it works.
My 16-50 died with no warning on me a short while back, but luckily I had an old K20D that allowed me to hack the screw drive because I really didn't want to spend a couple hundred dollars on repairing a motor that could break at any time. The slow AF of Pentax lenses used to not bother me much, but once I started shooting more and more photojournalist-work, the inconsistent/slow/lock-resistant AF on my K5 really annoyed me. I had it on shutter release priority, which helps, but it was still something that annoyed me immensely.

But again, Nikon doesn't really have any pixie dust lenses afaik. I've the 14-24 and it works spectacularly - tack sharp and mindblowingly wide - but I'd love to have the FA77 on my D800.
09-26-2013, 09:57 AM   #105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tjk911 Quote
My 16-50 died with no warning on me a short while back, but luckily I had an old K20D that allowed me to hack the screw drive because I really didn't want to spend a couple hundred dollars on repairing a motor that could break at any time. The slow AF of Pentax lenses used to not bother me much, but once I started shooting more and more photojournalist-work, the inconsistent/slow/lock-resistant AF on my K5 really annoyed me. I had it on shutter release priority, which helps, but it was still something that annoyed me immensely.

But again, Nikon doesn't really have any pixie dust lenses afaik. I've the 14-24 and it works spectacularly - tack sharp and mindblowingly wide - but I'd love to have the FA77 on my D800.
What is pixie dust anyway? It's so subjective. I think we attach alot of value to shooting experience with metal lenses. Our lenses we attribute with pixie dust are mostly metal limiteds.

Like you said nikon has a LOT of technically perfect, sharp wide open lenses, but I haven't yet found a "pixie dust" lens, perhaps because nikon stuff is mostly polycarbonate.