Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 47 Likes Search this Thread
09-28-2013, 04:00 AM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wigelII Quote
If I can believe what I read on the net, the IQ of the Olympus EM-1 with 43 sensor would be close to FF
I've read that too, but I find it very hard to believe. Maybe, under controlled circumstances and at certain print sizes... I dunno. Anyway, what is the definition of IQ? There are various measures, but none even come close to saying what makes a great photograph. I'm sure the EM-1 is a lovely camera, but it looks a little small for my tastes. The K-5 is about as small as I want to go for a DSLR. But, as ever, it's horses for courses.

09-28-2013, 04:28 AM   #122
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wigelII Quote
Well, well, ... I wonder.
Maybe there is some truth in it.
If I can believe what I read on the net, the IQ of the Olympus EM-1 with 43 sensor would be close to FF (allthough in an interview one of the Olympus managers said that for IQ "the gap with APS-C is closed for 99%).
I also read that large prints of the EM-1 have the same quality as thos of FF.
If Olympus can do that, maybe even better is possible on an APS-C sensor?
I hope so. (if not, I might even go for the EM-1).
It's not the Force, but the Hype which is strong with the mirrorless folks. Olympus is marketing aggressively, yet at times I think they should keep quiet - they're dragging the hype down.
The only thing they can do with the EM-1 is to get close to APS-C; which is already a pretty high level.
09-28-2013, 04:33 AM   #123
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
I've read that too, but I find it very hard to believe. Maybe, under controlled circumstances and at certain print sizes... I dunno. Anyway, what is the definition of IQ? There are various measures, but none even come close to saying what makes a great photograph. I'm sure the EM-1 is a lovely camera, but it looks a little small for my tastes. The K-5 is about as small as I want to go for a DSLR. But, as ever, it's horses for courses.
on iQ
I often print on A2 format (16.5 x 23.4 inches)
I often work with ISO 3200 and sometimes 6400 (in theaters)

My K5 delivers OK results but not brilliant.
Apparently the EM1 can do it and I will try it because it also has tilting screen and the EVF would be fantastic with it's magnification that matches FF viewfinders.

If Pentax can come up with equal quality, great viewfinder and sufficient other features (such as supporting tethering because I finally want to do tethering directly from Capture One!!!) I will of course immediately buy the new Pentax.I really like my K5
................... but on the other hand, I also really liked my Oly's and I must say, I still ^refer the handling of my E-3 above the handling of the K5

Last edited by wigelII; 09-28-2013 at 04:44 AM.
09-28-2013, 08:00 AM   #124
Veteran Member

I like the sound of the hypothetical specifications of the K-3. I'll take them gladly, but please.... can I remove the SD card without breaking my fingernails in the process. That really is the thing that annoys me most about the K-5!

09-28-2013, 08:05 AM   #125
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That's easy. Push the card a little and then remove promptly you finders, the card should eject itself from the slot !
09-28-2013, 08:36 AM   #126
Veteran Member

If it was that easy, I wouldn't have a problem. Either it sits there, defying me to pull it out, or it flies out and disappears on the ground. Is it that difficult to design a SD slot that is actually easy to use?
09-28-2013, 08:55 AM   #127
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmmmm... possible release date? Just in time for my birthday?

09-28-2013, 09:27 AM   #128
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Hmmmm... possible release date? Just in time for my birthday?
K-3's announcement date is on the eve, Tuesday 8th.
09-28-2013, 09:56 AM   #129
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
K-3's announcement date is on the eve, Tuesday 8th.
Are your wallet ready guys?
It's the real flagship man...
09-28-2013, 10:32 AM   #130
Veteran Member

If it was that easy, I wouldn't have a problem. Either it sits there, defying me to pull it out, or it flies out and disappears on the ground. Is it that difficult to design a SD slot that is actually easy to use?
Same here.
09-28-2013, 10:49 AM   #131
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It will be very interesting if not exciting to find out what is really behind the new camera announcement. So often the rumour mill has gone wild prior to releases and when the real thing is announced there is a collective sigh. Wouldn't it be nice for a change for the emotions to go the other way? I would like to see a camera come out that blows us out of water, one that is not only on par with the competition, but substantially shifts the market into new territory.

This is the first real Pentax release for Richoh let's hope they don't disappoint.
09-28-2013, 11:07 AM   #132
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I do this operation on a table usually so the SD card doesn't fly very far away... It is tricky to change sd card in nature when doing wildlife shots, though.
09-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #133
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
This is the first real Pentax release for Richoh let's hope they don't disappoint.
Amen to that!
09-28-2013, 11:39 AM   #134
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
It will be very interesting if not exciting to find out what is really behind the new camera announcement. So often the rumour mill has gone wild prior to releases and when the real thing is announced there is a collective sigh. Wouldn't it be nice for a change for the emotions to go the other way? I would like to see a camera come out that blows us out of water, one that is not only on par with the competition, but substantially shifts the market into new territory.

surely, you jest, sir. every single release since at least the k100d or so has been a "wow" moment, has made people talk, etc. every time it has been some major improvement (unlike most of the other manufacturers..): k10d, weather sealing and pro build quality and ergonomics in an enthusiast body (the nikon d80 designer cried), k20d (slight tweaks to the acclaimed k10d body, brand new, at the time class leading sensor), k-7: a new body to die for, sensor from k20d (still good though not the best), video by popular demand, k-5 (no introduction here, just "wow"), k5ii(s) was the only apparent exception, though people who actually shoot them say the af improvement is _major_ (btw, af improvements have been made all along this little history, with each and every single model, no exceptions afaik). What are we expecting here, a camera that's credit card sized, takes all the lenses ever sold by anybody, doesn't need recharging, has a mind control interface and doesn't even need to be taken out to take the shot? (you'll have to be patient in that case, i hear they're working on it)
09-28-2013, 11:51 AM   #135
Pentaxian

I am sure it will be a fine camera -- I am mainly concerned about the price. Some previous statements seemed to indicate Ricoh was not concerned with competing on price, so if I'm not going to get the bang-for-my-buck that I am accustomed to from Pentax and can get something more-or-less equivalent from another brand at similar dollars, that will make me pause...