Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2013, 01:42 AM   #331

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
.... and a DA~12-28 on the roadmap for 2013 or later release?
The PENTAX DA 12-24 4.0 will be probably replaced by a new version 12-28 4.0.
The 12-24 is a Pentax version of the Tokina 12-24 4.0 and Tokina has recently released a new version lens, 12-28 4.0 with DC motor.
It make sense to await a Pentax version of this one

Tokina AT-X PRO DX 12-28 mm f/4 review - Summary - Lenstip.com

10-03-2013, 03:28 AM   #332
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wpompen Quote
You're right... I've switched from Canon six months ago and I'm not sure if I was better of choosing Nikon at that moment. I can't deny that the quality of my photos has improved, there's no doubt about that.
But strange things happen, I've blamed the Sigma 70-200 (at one point almost traded it in for the Pentax 60-250) for some time but I understand more and more that the cause is (probably) the K-5.
Of course I could have bought the K-5II at that moment but I had no more budget. Plus, you can't expect the same PRO IQ of a camera that costs less than half of the one you're comparing to.
I really hope tracking AF is for real and working, this is one thing I really miss (I'm shooting sighthounds at +/- 50km/h) and has been my only real frustration with the K-5.

So, let's still keep smiling and hope for the better!

edit: what also surprised me was the way Sigma took down the HSM compatible TC manufacturing and availability (pricing) of lenses...
I would be really hopeful that the auto focus will be much better Truthfully, the auto focus on the K5 II is a lot more accurate than on the K5. I had resisted getting one, but my wife is shooting a wedding coming up and she was frustrated with autofocus "flakiness" and so we got a K5 II. All of our lenses (including the DA *55) are spot on from wide open with it and lock focus quite quickly. Tracking auto focus is better than the K5 as well, although still is off some if somebody is walking quickly towards you...
10-03-2013, 07:46 AM   #333
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Up to date - what is

I thought to place things in perspective amid the usual nonsensical stuff about the K3, and what we now do know.

A. the new bump is a high end headphone port.
B. The K3 will have a 'completely new' AF system... implies wonderful and very high end to me.
There is much more than the new AF system, hinted at in section E.
C. The more obvious: New Sony 24 MP APSC sensor - (of course, it's NOT the old sensor used in the A77)
D. Firmware 1.0 by this Monday.
E. The really big thing (not to do with headphone port). This is the UNKNOWN, but apparently very big news (to me) and is yet to be announced. :-)

A.)
asahi man
Regular Member • Posts: 301

it´s only a ...
In reply to waxwaine (about the new bump on the K3 body), 13 hours ago

Sorry,sorry.....but....it is a very simple thing.....
High end headphone port,that´s all

best regards

B.) p.s.:the really plus point is the complete new af system.....nothing to do with the current Pentax autofocus

C.)

asahi man
Like?
Re: K-3 with 24mp Sony A77 sensor will be announced early this month
In reply to Joe Ogiba (repeating the really nonsensical farce about using 2 year old sensor from A77), 2 days ago
It is NOT the same sensor.

Replied in Is this also a picture of the K-3?
Sony aps c 24 is inside :-)
In Pentax SLR Talk 9 hours ago

Pentax cameras with -3 are much faster in this range,much much faster and more accurate than the EOS6 and still faster than the Panasonic.
Under real use.
The K-3 have still Firmware 0.0x.
D.)Monday will be 1.0 in the air.

E.)

Replied in K-3´s mysterious bump
(replying to the wacked/distorted angled photo of k3)
This is a final picture,only bad angle of view :-D And again,under the "big thing" is the headphone connect ;-)

In reply to Ayoh, 2 days ago Replied in Is this also a picture of the K-3?
asahi man wrote:
Q: What are some of those new things?
A: The autofocus...and more.

K3 was onPhotokina but Ricoh took it behind the line.
there are much more new things in this new (K)3,than in the old Pentax plan. Best regards
In Pentax SLR Talk 2 days ago
10-03-2013, 07:52 AM   #334
Veteran Member

I'm not that informed on the headphone thing but does it make sense to have a 1/4 jack (?) for headphones when one can use bluetooth wireless headphones ?

10-03-2013, 07:53 AM   #335
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
I'm not that informed on the headphone thing but does it make sense to have a 1/4 jack (?) for headphones when one can use bluetooth wireless headphones ?
It could be a dual port headphone / line out.
10-03-2013, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #336
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by solar1 Quote
I thought to place things in perspective amid the usual nonsensical stuff about the K3, and what we now do know.

A. the new bump is a high end headphone port.
B. The K3 will have a 'completely new' AF system... implies wonderful and very high end to me.
There is much more than the new AF system, hinted at in section E.
C. The more obvious: New Sony 24 MP APSC sensor - (of course, it's NOT the old sensor used in the A77)
D. Firmware 1.0 by this Monday.
E. The really big thing (not to do with headphone port). This is the UNKNOWN, but apparently very big news (to me) and is yet to be announced. :-)

A.)
asahi man

it´s only a ...
In reply to waxwaine (about the new bump on the K3 body), 13 hours ago

Sorry,sorry.....but....it is a very simple thing.....
High end headphone port,that´s all

best regards

B.) p.s.:the really plus point is the complete new af system.....nothing to do with the current Pentax autofocus

C.)

asahi man
Like?
Re: K-3 with 24mp Sony A77 sensor will be announced early this month
In reply to Joe Ogiba (repeating the really nonsensical farce about using 2 year old sensor from A77), 2 days ago
It is NOT the same sensor.

Sony aps c 24 is inside :-)

Pentax cameras with -3 are much faster in this range,much much faster and more accurate than the EOS6 and still faster than the Panasonic.
Under real use.
The K-3 have still Firmware 0.0x.
D.)Monday will be 1.0 in the air.

E.)

Replied in K-3´s mysterious bump
(replying to the wacked/distorted angled photo of k3)
This is a final picture,only bad angle of view :-D And again,under the "big thing" is the headphone connect ;-)

In reply to Ayoh, 2 days ago Replied in Is this also a picture of the K-3?
asahi man wrote:
Q: What are some of those new things?
A: The autofocus...and more.

K3 was onPhotokina but Ricoh took it behind the line.
there are much more new things in this new (K)3,than in the old Pentax plan. Best regards
In Pentax SLR Talk 2 days ago
Well, if it has a headphone jack, then the K-3 must be more centered around video then. And then E will probably have something to do with those added video capabilities. Which, no matter how impressive those capabilities may be, are just not very interesting to photographers. So I hope Asahi man is just full of it.
10-03-2013, 07:57 AM   #337
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
It could be a dual port headphone / line out.

I actually hope it's related to thetering. We'll see in a few days

10-03-2013, 08:12 AM   #338
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am also in the camp that has very little interest in anything video related in a dslr. However, I do not mind Improving those capabilities, as long as the most significant advances are made in the core photographic side of things. If this model will be mostly about improvements in video, I am skipping it and getting a used K5iis instead.
10-03-2013, 08:18 AM   #339
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Well, if it has a headphone jack, then the K-3 must be more centered around video then. And then E will probably have something to do with those added video capabilities. Which, no matter how impressive those capabilities may be, are just not very interesting to photographers. So I hope Asahi man is just full of it.
I hope it is a cutting edge camera in all respects including video. The better it sells, the more likely there will be more good stuff down the road. Having good video capabilities in no way limits my ability to use the camera for still photography.
10-03-2013, 08:23 AM   #340
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd love to have improved video with head phones connected. Would help working with microphone and get things right...if only they would raise the limit for video lenght...
Also new focus system sounds really good to me, with great ISO and DR...What I would not need is that 24 MB sensor because of bigger files, but wit out AA, it will improve my lenses performance, so why not.

Yes! From me for vide too.
10-03-2013, 08:26 AM   #341
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What on earth could be bigger than new AF, new sensor, new imaging engine, new video, new frame rate, (potentially) new flash sync to go wiuth the FGZII's?

I mean, really, what could be bigger?
10-03-2013, 08:31 AM   #342
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Implied in E.?

- - -
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
What on earth could be bigger than new AF, new sensor, new imaging engine, new video, new frame rate, (potentially) new flash sync to go wiuth the FGZII's?

10-03-2013, 08:59 AM   #343
Inactive Account

I'm just hoping I can get a bargain K5ii out of a K3 release lol
10-03-2013, 08:59 AM - 1 Like   #344
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

I am really worried that people are setting themselves up for a fall. The preliminary excitement about every new camera often very much exceeds the end result. My hope is to have a Pentax camera that has image quality and auto focus (maybe even flash support) that is close to other company's flaship APS-C models. Nothing "bigger" than that.

Set up too high expectations and then they fall flat.
10-03-2013, 09:04 AM   #345
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
In my experience, the design of the K5 SD card slot has always been quite good, and I have a first generation model and have removed the card literally thousands of times with absolutely no issue.. Simply push the card in to eject it, and it pops right out. I have rather large fingers, too.

I imagine this complaint stems from one or two causes:
1. A broken eject spring, in which case it should be sent in for warranty repair (which can be a real, but relatively rare problem)
2. The user not realizing you have to push the card inward to eject and rather simply prying it out with his/her fingernails

I also strongly suspect it's the latter in most cases, since I also recall (anecdotally) that the decided majority of people who claimed to have sensor stain problems with the early runs when asked for example shots provided ones that clearly were mere dust particles yet insisted that their camera was defective, indicating a proclivity among the user base to blame any problem on the machine (especially if there was a "similar" genuine issue they could latch onto) without adequately exploring whether their own activity was to blame.

I also remember many years ago in my IT support days that every single time I got a call for a "stuck" PCMCIA card in a laptop, the user didn't realize that the slot either had a similar push to eject mechanism or a separate release button next to the slot and was simply trying to yank the card out.
dcshooter and Fogel70, you are both right on that account of the perceived SD problems... I do remember there was a article about some SD cards are slightly (albeit tiny) larger or thicker than the standard size so when it is pushed into the SD card slot, it does not stick out as easy as some other brands. My personal experience is that I have never had problems with handling the SD cards from my K-100, K10, K-7 (all previously own), k-5, k-01 and Q. And I have always removed the cards when uploading the photos to my computer for processing (I take RAW) every time.... in other words, I have tested the in-and-out action of the SD card/slot countless number of times without having to worry about wearing out any of the parts. My shutter count of the k-5 is approaching 600k.

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
I have had problem with removing SD-card on my K-7, and my conclusion is that some brands use slightly larger size on the card which it makes it more difficult to remove, and sometimes it get "stuck" so you have to pull it out. I have never had any problems with Sandisk card though (which I usually prefer to use).