Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2013, 04:35 AM   #181
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Heh,
QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
The Awesome Mode.

Yes, I did not mean that just Mode dial would be thicker, but whole camera...

09-27-2013, 04:45 AM   #182
Banned

SRS seems to be offering some sort of presentation that might be the K-3.
09-27-2013, 04:48 AM   #183
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by StrasburgBarry Quote
Not holding my breath.

I think full frame is largely overrated. Like everything else in photography one advantage always has its disadvantages. One will be depth of field. Unless you like "bokeh" in every photo, a larger format at the same f-stop ALWAYS has less depth of field.

The camera has to be at least a little heavier too.

Just got done paying off my Pentax K-5 II. Love THAT camera.

Buying a K-3 will not automatically make you a better photographer, just a photographer who now has less money.

Strasburgbarry
It may be overrated, but still a usefull format for many photographers especially for those who have specific purpose, it may be for shallower dof or a better low light performance or for photgraphers that are in demand for better larger prints. FF is not for all, also for APS-C. And if you point out the 645D, it may be too much for those who want o step up from APS-C...
09-27-2013, 04:50 AM - 1 Like   #184
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richard balonglong Quote
It may be overrated, but still a usefull format for many photographers especially for those who have specific purpose, it may be for shallower dof or a better low light performance or for photgraphers that are in demand for better larger prints. FF is not for all, also for APS-C. And if you point out the 645D, it may be too much for those who want o step up from APS-C...
In my mind, the question is not, 'do I need a FF' but 'why shouldn't I buy a competitor's FF when it's essentially the same price as Pentax APS-C'.

09-27-2013, 04:57 AM   #185
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PBandJ Quote
In my mind, the question is not, 'do I need a FF' but 'why shouldn't I buy a competitor's FF when it's essentially the same price as Pentax APS-C'.
+1

And then consider the future resale value of that competitor's FF, and compare that to the abismal resale value of Pentax APS-C.
09-27-2013, 05:02 AM   #186
Banned

I had the same dilemma; whether to but a nice family car, or a small secondhand truck. Same price.
But my garage decided for me. And common sense.
09-27-2013, 05:17 AM   #187
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
+1

And then consider the future resale value of that competitor's FF, and compare that to the abismal resale value of Pentax APS-C.
Personally, I love the abysmal resale because I rarely buy equipment when it first comes out. Whether cams or cell phones or otherwise. I love buying smartphones, 4 months after purchase, for 50% or more off with the balance of the 2 year warranty, for example.

I'm going to enjoy cashing in on people getting rid of their K-5IIs models.

09-27-2013, 05:33 AM - 2 Likes   #188
Veteran Member

Don't understand the draw of a plastic fantastic lucky bag slow FF Vs metal alloy weather resistant quick aps-c whoever makes them.

It's not really the same price at all.
09-27-2013, 05:41 AM   #189
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
Don't understand the draw of a plastic fantastic lucky bag slow FF Vs metal alloy weather resistant quick aps-c whoever makes them.
Indeed, when I hand my pictures to my customers, they really value them because they instantly see they were made with a camera that has a metal alloy body.
09-27-2013, 05:49 AM   #190
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
I had the same dilemma; whether to but a nice family car, or a small secondhand truck. Same price.
But my garage decided for me. And common sense.
I think a better comparison is v6 or v8 engine in the same car category [eg compact sedans]. If the same price [give or take a couple hundred dollars] why skimp and get the lower model?

Edit- must be dreaming... I meant v4 or v6... A v8 Honda civic would be funny..
09-27-2013, 05:58 AM   #191
Banned

I think a better comparison is v6 or v8 engine in the same car category [eg compact sedans]. If the same price [give or take a couple hundred dollars] why skimp and get the lower model?

Edit- must be dreaming... I meant v4 or v6... A v8 Honda civic would be funny..
You mean an "I4". There are very, very, very few examples of non-inline 4 cylinders, outside of a flat configuration.
09-27-2013, 06:10 AM - 1 Like   #192
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

why skimp and get the lower model?
Better fuel efficiency, perhaps, which provides lower operating costs. Comparing cameras (and automobiles) involves many factors, not just sensor dimensions, pixel count, or viewfinder characteristics for example. As we see in these extended forum discussions, the 'options space' is multi-dimensional.
09-27-2013, 06:22 AM   #193
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My Pentax supplier in the UK (SRS Microsystems) have announced a Pentax open day on Oct 9th. They suggest that they will have something new and very interesting to show.

UK First at SRS | Pentax Open Day
09-27-2013, 06:30 AM   #194
mee
Veteran Member

I'm still stupified why they would spend resources aligning their products with the number '5' and then turn around immediately and launch a camera with a '3' in the name.

What now for the lower tiers? K-30 already there..
09-27-2013, 06:32 AM   #195
Veteran Member

In the meantime one can get a K-5II with grip for 799$...

Lozeau | Pentax K-5 II Body