Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2013, 08:57 AM   #211

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I'm still stupified why they would spend resources aligning their products with the number '5' and then turn around immediately and launch a camera with a '3' in the name.

What now for the lower tiers? K-30 already there..
Well now they only need to release K-3 and K-300 and they are back on track

09-27-2013, 08:58 AM   #212
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Well, most people never buy another lens, and most people won't buy a FF ILC either.
That's true. For these people FF would be irrelevant I always think people should get the cheapest, lightest camera that can get them the shot they want.
09-27-2013, 09:16 AM   #213
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by StrasburgBarry Quote
When you can get tack sharp 16 X 20s from an APS-C Pentax camera what really is the point of full frame? Sorry, still not sold on it.
Well sharp images from K-5 up to 24 inch is no problem, but maybe FF has more reasons to it.
09-27-2013, 09:17 AM   #214
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VaSA Quote
Well now they only need to release K-3 and K-300 and they are back on track
hehe yeah

Since they already discontinued the K-30.. I am not sure that this photo of the 'K-3' is real.

I think, originally, most people were calling the new flagship the 'K-3' because the K-30 was announced back then.. but Ricoh then spent money to align the lower tiers with the top (5xx)

Otherwise it would have made more sense to have kept the K-30 and just launched a K-300 months ago.. or saved it for the K-3 unveiling... unless they are giving us K-30 mk ii or a K-33.. now THAT wouldn't be confusing. hehehe

09-27-2013, 09:22 AM   #215
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe

Since they already discontinued the K-30.. I am not sure that this photo of the 'K-3' is real.

I think, originally, most people were calling the new flagship the 'K-3' because the K-30 was announced back then.. but Ricoh then spent money to align the lower tiers with the top (5xx)
My thoughts exactly.

OTOH, there was the brief appearance of "K-3" on the Pentax website.
09-27-2013, 09:27 AM   #216
Veteran Member

hehe yeah

Otherwise it would have made more sense to have kept the K-30 and just launched a K-300 months ago.. or saved it for the K-3 unveiling... unless they are giving us K-30 mk ii or a K-33.. now THAT wouldn't be confusing. hehehe
I agree that K-3 would throw a wrench in the naming works. On the other hand, Pentax/Ricoh has never officially discontinued the K-30. Only this site has announced it as such.
09-27-2013, 09:29 AM   #217
Veteran Member

When you can get tack sharp 16 X 20s from an APS-C Pentax camera what really is the point of full frame? Sorry, still not sold on it.
My standard print size for galleries is 24x36. I can scrape by with 15MP, although I still tend to use medium format film for serious black and white work. My main thing is landscapes, usually done on a tripod with moderate wide angles at mid or small apertures.

I'm planning a major upgrade in the next year. Minimum requirement is 24MP. More is better. As my lens requirements are quite simple, I can afford to jump to any system, which makes a 36MP FF look mighty attractive. I used Nikon gear supplied in my job for many years, and have no problem going back to it.

My personal gear has been Pentax since 1975, so there is a certain attachment. However, I do need to get on with things, and time is running out.

So, yes, there is a point to full frame for some of us.

09-27-2013, 09:36 AM   #218
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
I'd be very, very curious to know what type of product requires screen display that cannot be satisfied by APS-C.
Me too. At "websize" my D600 and K5 images were indistinguishable.
09-27-2013, 09:44 AM   #219
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm not sure how many of you noticed the new AF lever. It's certainly a new design, and does not look like anything Nikon has produced either. It is significantly larger and may indicate that Pentax has reworked the AF system in some significant way. The rumors say that the new AF system is 27 points, all cross-type, which is plausible. It's not going to be as dense as Canon or Nikon area AF, but it looks like that Pentax has implemented a new area AF system that is going to be seriously competitive. For reference, the EOS 7D has 19 points, all cross-type.

Rice High speculates that the AF system will be laid out this way - which is 27 points, all cross-type. Though many of us have bashed Rice High for posting inaccurate and negative information, it is quite likely that he is correct this time.

--DragonLord
09-27-2013, 11:02 AM   #220
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
Do they see the difference between an image shot full frame and APSC?

Does your back thank you because your carrying nearly half the weight...or does it scream at you because your hauling a FF?

How does your bank account feel buying a 70-200 f2.8 VRII vs a DA*50-135mm f2.8?

Do you like to use 1/8000" shutter speed or 5 frame exposure bracketing? How about a front IR remote port?
The FF F/4 stuff is faster, lighter, and cheaper than the APS-C F/2.8 stuff.

Plus on Pentax the Tamron 70-200 AF is quite fast. Pentax hasn't had the opportunity to slow-down it's screw drive yet, as Pentax's best lenses are still screw-drive.
09-27-2013, 11:10 AM - 1 Like   #221
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote

Plus on Pentax the Tamron 70-200 AF is quite fast. Pentax hasn't had the opportunity to slow-down it's screw drive yet, as Pentax's best lenses are still screw-drive.
F4 is F4

Correct me if I'm wrong but iso 100 1/250" and f4 produces the same exposure on the Q and a D800.

09-27-2013, 11:18 AM   #222

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
Correction, You don't own a Pentax Yet
Too true, I`m looking at moving over from Nikon.
I`ve been here a few months on and off doing some research
09-27-2013, 11:23 AM   #223
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote

Where's the FF f5.6 lens that's lighter, faster, and cheaper than my APS-C f4 stuff (and also has equivalent microcontrast, rendering, and color rendition)?
09-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #224
Veteran Member

The #1 reason I can think of to buy a FF DSLR is low light IQ. Is the most important DXOMark measurement the low light ISO (which I think is the max ISO where a DR of 9 can be achieved)? D800E is close to ISO 3000 where a K-5 IIs is ISO 1200+. Better than a stop and a third difference.

OTOH, if all you want to do is shoot at ISO 80 or 100, you can get DR of around 14. Anyone limit their camera to ISO 100?
09-27-2013, 11:39 AM   #225
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parry Quote
I'm bored of the K-3 already. When's the K-3 II coming out?

I am impressed. You folks go to staggering technical lengths. I'm far too lazy. I'll just wait a few days.
I am with you as well as the K-3II will be on my wish list when it goes on discontinued discount