Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2013, 03:20 PM   #316
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
So medium format film is practical and financially feasible for everyone to go to except for John who would not have room in his motorcycle bag for a Fuji GX680
We're going to need a bIgger bike, lol!

09-28-2013, 11:03 PM   #317
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
That has nothing to do with the original issue.

Format has an effect on outocomes but cannot be used to compare optics.
Forgive me. I thought we were comparing the capability of optics to produce pictures.
09-29-2013, 12:18 AM   #318

this is the one... =)
09-29-2013, 12:32 AM   #319
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sunkissedmanila Quote
this is the one... =)
It there meant to be a link there, or is that merely an underline for emphasis?

09-29-2013, 02:36 AM   #320

emphasis. hehehehehe. as far as my "trusted" source is concerned.
"RICOH" on Lcd part is visible.
09-29-2013, 03:33 AM - 1 Like   #321
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Having both formats (APS-C and FF), I don't understand people who try to make out that FF is somehow better in every respect. All cameras are a set of compromises, and APS-C has some positives over FF, particularly for macro and telephoto work. Personally, I don't see a move from APS-C to FF as an upgrade, but as a change of format, with its particular advantages and disadvantages.

Let's not forget that we have the so-called "FF" format because Oskar Barnack hit on the idea of using movie film to fashion a small camera with good enough IQ. And the 3:2 format he chose did not fit any standard photographic paper sizes (though these may have come later). I usually find myself cropping to 4:3 because I find it more aesthetically pleasing. If photography had started not with film, but with sensors, I wonder what size would be regarded as optimum? If bigger is always better, why aren't we all using 10 x 8s?

Having let off a little steam, I really do hope that Pentax makes a FF in the not-too-distant future because I think this is the way the market is heading!
I think that people use equivalency as a club, to beat APS-C users into submission. If your desire is to make photos that are exactly equivalent to a D800 shooting, say a 35mm f1.4 lens, shot at f2. But photography is about image creation and for an awful lot of people, APS-C is "good enough." A good compromise that allows for narrow depth of field, wide angles, relatively small camera bodies -- albeit without the ability to shoot as narrow depth of field as with full frame and with a stop worse noise control.

Last edited by Rondec; 09-29-2013 at 05:36 AM.
09-29-2013, 04:12 AM   #322

QuoteOriginally posted by sunkissedmanila Quote
emphasis. hehehehehe. as far as my "trusted" source is concerned.
"RICOH" on Lcd part is visible.

Do you mean "PENTAX" on the prism and "RICOH" on the back LCD ?

09-29-2013, 05:01 AM   #323
Pentaxian

The back LCD screen is sourced by Pentax from Ricoh .
09-29-2013, 05:04 AM   #324

Yes, I know, it's the LCD screen from the Ricoh GR, but I had liked to keep my Pentax on it
09-29-2013, 05:08 AM   #325
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It always strikes me as funny that all the "leaked" images of cameras are nearly always terrible quality..it is as if the veracity of the rumors are enhanced by how bad the images are.
09-29-2013, 05:15 AM   #326

well if we dont want ricoh on it cover it with framed-glass protector.
hate it or love it. it's "ricohnized" welcome to change. imagine?
dual sd slots on the way baby. think of 645d IQ on an aps-c body. how's that for a early christmas gift.
spoiler alert: 20mp not 24. all of yada-yada and trolling for the coming body, one thing is for sure. majority of the pentax owners cannot afford the FF or even the old K5.
you dont need a new body. all you need is to improve your skills. FF can wait just keep on improving.
09-29-2013, 05:21 AM   #327
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
It always strikes me as funny that all the "leaked" images of cameras are nearly always terrible quality..it is as if the veracity of the rumors are enhanced by how bad the images are.
Same with paparazzi photographs: all grainy and blurry to make them look more appealing since "obviously" stolen.
09-29-2013, 08:30 AM   #328
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
now if I can just astral-project myself into the Cebu plant... to verify sunkissedmanila's claims.

...but nah that would kill the suspense
09-29-2013, 08:49 AM   #329
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think that people use equivalency as a club, to beat APS-C users into submission. If your desire is to make photos that are exactly equivalent to a D800 shooting, say a 35mm f1.4 lens, shot at f2. But photography is about image creation and for an awful lot of people, APS-C is "good enough."
100% agree.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
A good compromise that allows for narrow depth of field, wide angles, relatively small camera bodies -- albeit without the ability to shoot as narrow depth of field as with full frame and with a stop worse noise control.
In practice it doesn't allow for more depth of field, it doesn't allow for wider angles. I think we'll find in the next six month that the camera bodies aren't much smaller, either.

The bottom line in my view is that APS-C is a cheaper camera with cheaper lenses, if your image quality requirement is X.
APS-C is a cheaper camera with more expensive lenses, if your image quality requirement is Y.
FF is a more expensive camera with cheaper lenses, if your image quality requirement is Y.
09-29-2013, 09:17 AM   #330
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
awesome!
Not much difference! WIFE WON'T NOTICE!!
No but she'll smell it!!