Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2013, 09:34 AM - 2 Likes   #331
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MouLaG Ôfr Quote
Do you mean "PENTAX" on the prism and "RICOH" on the back LCD ?

Calm down, all Pentax DSLRs already had HOYA plastered all over them. Now the Hoya sign was replaced with Ricoh. Its still a Pentax camera, and dont worry, you dont have to legally change your last name to "Ricoh" just yet

09-29-2013, 10:16 AM   #332
Veteran Member

Perhaps this is too difficult to do, concise sticky

I'd love to see an appended sticky to for example this particular thread about the K3. I want to keep up on the what we think we know at this point (yes, its only conjecture). We all need to read through mountains of comments just to know what is what. I'm grateful for the info, but find wading through many pages of comments about FF, field of view and many other topics, not for me. Just a concise : this is what we think is known up to the moment and leave comments to the main thread.

Does any one like this idea as well?

Edit: perhaps this would best be asked in its own thread for news and rumors? Would it be best to move it?

Last edited by solar1; 09-29-2013 at 10:22 AM.
09-29-2013, 10:52 AM   #333
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by solar1 Quote
I'd love to see an appended sticky to for example this particular thread about the K3
Just wait a week. Sticky will be redundant soon. [Hopefully]
09-29-2013, 11:05 AM - 1 Like   #334
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by solar1 Quote
I'd love to see an appended sticky to for example this particular thread about the K3. I want to keep up on the what we think we know at this point (yes, its only conjecture). We all need to read through mountains of comments just to know what is what. I'm grateful for the info, but find wading through many pages of comments about FF, field of view and many other topics, not for me. Just a concise : this is what we think is known up to the moment and leave comments to the main thread.

Does any one like this idea as well?

Edit: perhaps this would best be asked in its own thread for news and rumors? Would it be best to move it?
depending on how you look at it, it's either very hard, next to impossible to do, or extremely easy: the easy way is "a list of everything we've ever dreamed of having for a price point where pentax would litterally pay us to buy it", the difficult way would be somebody wading through all these threads, regularly, try to make sense of them, and decide what is plausible and what not (a very slippery job, can you imagine the criticism threads about how incompetent the poor bastard was, because he missed this or that un-confirmed statement which proved to be true, or included this spec which was "obviously" (in hindisght, everything is obvious) not correct

imho, you're missing the point though: where's the fun in that, if you want boring and safe, wait patiently for the official spec in a few days (or weeks or months, whatever) . rumors are to be enjoyed in their entire unreasonableness and insanity, otherwise it's a waste of time, it's all speculation and hear-say anyway, at the end of the day. the fact that some things might prove accurate is largely irrelevant (statistics at work)

09-29-2013, 12:15 PM   #335
Veteran Member

Thanks for your thoughts. Just a thought on an easy way to keep up on news without needing to pour through long lists of comments. The thread is good thing otherwise. I hope I wasn't complaining.

QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote
depending on how you look at it, it's either very hard, next to impossible to do, or extremely easy: the easy way is "a list of everything we've ever dreamed of having for a price point where pentax would litterally pay us to buy it", the difficult way would be somebody wading through all these threads, regularly, try to make sense of them, and decide what is plausible and what not (a very slippery job, can you imagine the criticism threads about how incompetent the poor bastard was, because he missed this or that un-confirmed statement which proved to be true, or included this spec which was "obviously" (in hindisght, everything is obvious) not correct

imho, you're missing the point though: where's the fun in that, if you want boring and safe, wait patiently for the official spec in a few days (or weeks or months, whatever) . rumors are to be enjoyed in their entire unreasonableness and insanity, otherwise it's a waste of time, it's all speculation and hear-say anyway, at the end of the day. the fact that some things might prove accurate is largely irrelevant (statistics at work)
09-29-2013, 01:47 PM   #336
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote
rumors are to be enjoyed in their entire unreasonableness and insanity, otherwise it's a waste of time
That's one of the sanest comments we've seen for a while!
09-29-2013, 01:50 PM   #337
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
100% agree.

In practice it doesn't allow for more depth of field, it doesn't allow for wider angles. I think we'll find in the next six month that the camera bodies aren't much smaller, either.

The bottom line in my view is that APS-C is a cheaper camera with cheaper lenses, if your image quality requirement is X.
APS-C is a cheaper camera with more expensive lenses, if your image quality requirement is Y.
FF is a more expensive camera with cheaper lenses, if your image quality requirement is Y.
I think size is probably the biggest thing that APS-C has going for it. Assuming that Pentax would put SR in a full frame body, such a camera would have to be bigger. Obviously weight does have a relationship to the quality of materials you choose to put into an item. A D600 weighs considerably less than a D800. If Pentax chooses to make a full frame camera, I would rather have them spec it closer to a D800 than a D600, even if that adds cost and size to the camera. But, certainly there would be plenty of people who would choose a 700 dollar K5 II over a 2500 dollar K1 full frame, for a number of reasons.

"Quality" of image is something that to me is more dependent on intended print size than anything else. If your goal is posting to online galleries, such as Flickr or Facebook, then who really cares which format you use?

I still would like full frame to be an option, but I can see both sides easily and I certainly don't expect Pentax to make any new lenses cheaper than their APS-C options that are currently available. They will command a steep price tag.

09-29-2013, 02:18 PM   #338
Banned

For some people, 1/8000 shutter makes a difference.
09-29-2013, 05:03 PM   #339
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
For some people, 1/8000 shutter makes a difference.
ND filters are cheap
09-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #340
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
It always strikes me as funny that all the "leaked" images of cameras are nearly always terrible quality..it is as if the veracity of the rumors are enhanced by how bad the images are.
They seem to always be front shots of the camera too... front view being easiest to fake.
09-29-2013, 05:26 PM   #341
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

RE: RICOH on the back - RICOH on the LCD:

The K-01 has "K-01" plastered all over the LCD on Start-Up.

But you can turn it off.
09-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #342
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sunkissedmanila Quote
spoiler alert: 20mp not 24.
Awww, I hope this is not true. 20MP is boring. My RX100 is 20MP. 20MP works well enough on a quality point-and-shoot, but 24MP is what's needed (esp as competitor Nikon now has three 24MP APS-C models ...).
09-29-2013, 05:40 PM   #343
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Awww, I hope this is not true. 20MP is boring. My RX100 is 20MP. 20MP works well enough on a quality point-and-shoot, but 24MP is what's needed (esp as competitor Nikon now has three 24MP APS-C models ...).
And a D4 with just 16MP.
Silly Nikon, they have no clue.

Last edited by Uluru; 09-29-2013 at 06:18 PM.
09-29-2013, 06:03 PM   #344
Veteran Member

Canon has been reluctant to go over 20MP even on FF too (only the 5D3 atm), so I guess 20MP will be OK. But it better be a good 20MP. The new $400 Sony A3000 NEX 'SLR' is also 20MP and it looks a good sensor. Pentax 20MP should hopefully be better than that.
09-29-2013, 06:18 PM   #345
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
ND filters are cheap
Not good quality ones.