Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
09-28-2013, 10:35 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax FF = A series?

Pentax fullframe camera is not coming under K series!

Earlier rumors mentioned a new A mount from Pentax. Should the rumor have been about a new Pentax FF A series?

Pentax fullframe camera is not coming under K series « NEW CAMERA. They refer to info from src-digicame-info which is supposed to be a reliable source, isn`t it?

09-28-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Certainly not; most of full frame lenses today are coming from 3rd party supplier, Sigma being the forst one. A new mount will make these lenses incompatible, killing the full frame cause of lack of lenses
09-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goubejp Quote
Certainly not; most of full frame lenses today are coming from 3rd party supplier, Sigma being the forst one. A new mount will make these lenses incompatible, killing the full frame cause of lack of lenses
This isn't about a new mount, but a new naming structure for future Pentax FF cameras, i.e. Pentax A1 FF instead of Pentax K2 FF. They will still be K mount cameras.....
09-28-2013, 10:55 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You do realize these 'rumor' sites derive income from ad banners and only make money if people go there to read to rumors? And what the translation says is: "According to the Yaotomi camera shop, Pentax will announce fullframe camera under a different series name (other than K)". So some guy in a camera shop speculated that an imaginary FF camera might have a name that did not include the letter 'K' and that is enough for this site to post a headline? I posted here over a year ago that the imaginary FF will be called the "LX-d", does that make my 'rumor' any better? I certainly have seniority, and I don't claim that the term 'LX-d' was original to me either.

And just below this 'rumor' we have "First Sample Image surfaced over the web, Mike Svitek unveiled the image captured by the new DSLR" And if you don't know who Mike Svitek is feel free to search for his name, I'm sure his reputation as a dependable source is stellar. And the reputation of the site you linked is deeply suspect because they are still showing the Svitek stuff as if it was true.

09-28-2013, 12:54 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
I really hope there will be FF Pentax with new mount - mirrorless FF, something like Fuji X-Pro1, initially with 3 lenses, for example, and K mount adapter. Like Fuji X started. And one can use all K mount FF lenses with adapter. And Pentax (more precisely - Ricoh) can make for such camera not only K mount adapter, but adapters for Leica, Canon, Nikon and other mounts. This niche is absolutely empty - there is only Leica and rumored Sony Nex FF.

Like it or not, but Single Lens Reflex (SLR) cameras with mirror will be history in more or less close future, may be there will be some small market with special needs thet will use FF in future, like it is now with medium format, but this market will not be mainstreem. Ricoh/Pentax if they want to live, must look into the future and slowly abandon DSLR-s.
09-28-2013, 01:06 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Roberts Quote
I really hope there will be FF Pentax with new mount - mirrorless FF, something like Fuji X-Pro1, initially with 3 lenses, for example, and K mount adapter. Like Fuji X started. And one can use all K mount FF lenses with adapter. And Pentax (more precisely - Ricoh) can make for such camera not only K mount adapter, but adapters for Leica, Canon, Nikon and other mounts. This niche is absolutely empty - there is only Leica and rumored Sony Nex FF.

Like it or not, but Single Lens Reflex (SLR) cameras with mirror will be history in more or less close future, may be there will be some small market with special needs thet will use FF in future, like it is now with medium format, but this market will not be mainstreem. Ricoh/Pentax if they want to live, must look into the future and slowly abandon DSLR-s.
I am affraid you are not 100% wrong.
I see more interest to developp new lenses in another mount allowing better compacity (mainly of bodies) due to shorter register distance, as well as modern full digital transmission to lenses.
Secondly, i don't see why RICOH should be proud of anything after the recenty company name changes, if they don't put their name on significantly "breaking new" products.
So that is my hypothesis, although i disagree with you re. DSLR's future.
Not so many technologies have disappeared from the photography market, and i bet there will always be at least some "niche market areas" where you will sustain optical viewfinders.
09-28-2013, 01:06 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That seems more probable than an A-mount; film Pentax camera came in a plethora of various names. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a big difference in the upcoming unicorn camera - perhaps they really could pull off a new mount with full back-compatibility with K.

Last edited by jeffshaddix; 09-28-2013 at 01:11 PM.
09-28-2013, 01:37 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Roberts Quote

You're hoping in something which won't happen.
I don't get why you people are hoping Pentax will change the mount; isn't it much easier for you to go with a mirrorless system, instead of an entire company to betray their tradition and it's users?
And the claim that Pentax should abandon a market much larger "if they want to live"... you must be living in a parallel universe.
09-28-2013, 01:46 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Hard consequences if they do that indeed, difficult to accept for loyal K-users and longterm commited K-FF compatible lenses collectors - as i did....
Any converter will be worse than the original mount.

That's the reason why i started my post with "I'm affraid...".

Let's wait for a few month and we hopefully get the news...
09-28-2013, 01:59 PM   #10

Stop!!!
09-28-2013, 02:11 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FF

FF Forum ??
09-28-2013, 02:27 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
They need to do away instain penta. Who kill there mount, because there mount cant selt back? it was on the pentax forms this mrnoning in yamatio, who have 3 mounts. They are taking the mounts back to twitter to rest,l my parry are with the fanbois,. I am trully sorry for your lots.

Last edited by konraDarnok; 09-28-2013 at 02:33 PM.
09-28-2013, 02:39 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Apart from the future and hypothetical 24x36 from Pentax, what I found interesting in the tweet is the testimony by the guy from Pentax's R&D team: they worked on a 24x36 deriving from K-7.

We already know that 645D shares many components with K-7. What we learn here is that the R&D team worked on 3 bodies in parallel: an APS-C that would become the K-7, a medium format that eventually got the green light from Hoya and has become the 645D and a 24x36 prototype that was eventually ditched, as was the MR52 / MZ-D in 2000/2001.

And I have the guts feeling that the so-called "K-1" shown here and there by Pentax representatives, for instance in Tokyo on July 16th, 2011 in the framework of a "touch and try Pentax Q" meeting with bloggers, could well be that prototype disguised with the MR52 / MZ-D body.

09-28-2013, 02:52 PM   #14
Veteran Member

The Pentax 'A' series could just be nomenclature, not anything referring to a new lens mount. Like Nikon's 'FX' vs 'DX' naming. All still F mount.
09-28-2013, 02:52 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Hard consequences if they do that indeed, difficult to accept for loyal K-users and longterm commited K-FF compatible lenses collectors - as i did....
Any converter will be worse than the original mount.

That's the reason why i started my post with "I'm affraid...".

Let's wait for a few month and we hopefully get the news...
No need to wait for things that won't happen; the Head of Business Development said "Even though there was possibility to bring FF into this segment, it was our conclusion that APS-C should be the utmost size for mirrorless segment.", and Ricoh repeatedly expressed their continuous support for the K-mount.
Please, stop the FUD. You're not afraid, you want us to be afraid.