Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2013, 03:07 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
Pentax fullframe camera is not coming under K series!

Earlier rumors mentioned a new A mount from Pentax. Should the rumor have been about a new Pentax FF A series?
Beautiful. Makes absolutely no logical sense to finally produce a camera (some) people have been clamoring about forever, and then make them buy all new lenses.

09-28-2013, 03:11 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Geeeez can't you read guys? It Saïd A series not A mount !
09-28-2013, 03:17 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Beautiful. Makes absolutely no logical sense to finally produce a camera (some) people have been clamoring about forever, and then make them buy all new lenses.

Right, and ditching FD doomed Canon. If Pentax wants to expand their market share, it makes a lot more sense to stop competing with 40 years of used glass. At the same time they can drop all the expense of supporting mechanical linkage. In many respects it's the sensible thing to do.

Can't say I see that in this tweet tho, which is such broken English to be almost meaningless.
09-28-2013, 03:24 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Geeeez can't you read guys? It Saïd A series not A mount !
It's not like they can't read; they don't want to.
Even this "A series" is just some unfounded rumor.

09-28-2013, 03:49 PM   #20
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by troenaas Quote
Yes, it will, it was officially semi-confirmed on few occasions, but maybe won't come this very moment.
So let us all have a nice time before it happens.
09-29-2013, 12:29 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Apart from the future and hypothetical 24x36 from Pentax, what I found interesting in the tweet is the testimony by the guy from Pentax's R&D team: they worked on a 24x36 deriving from K-7.

We already know that 645D shares many components with K-7. What we learn here is that the R&D team worked on 3 bodies in parallel: an APS-C that would become the K-7, a medium format that eventually got the green light from Hoya and has become the 645D and a 24x36 prototype that was eventually ditched, as was the MR52 / MZ-D in 2000/2001.

And I have the guts feeling that the so-called "K-1" shown here and there by Pentax representatives, for instance in Tokyo on July 16th, 2011 in the framework of a "touch and try Pentax Q" meeting with bloggers, could well be that prototype disguised with the MR52 / MZ-D body.

Thats the "optimistic" sight ; i vote and hope for it, even if this is not really the one that long term business approach will favor.
By the way, never saw before the second picture !

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
No need to wait for things that won't happen; the Head of Business Development said "Even though there was possibility to bring FF into this segment, it was our conclusion that APS-C should be the utmost size for mirrorless segment.", and Ricoh repeatedly expressed their continuous support for the K-mount.
Please, stop the FUD. You're not afraid, you want us to be afraid.
Have you calculated your K-mount expenditures ?
I did, and it is worth more than 30 000 euros in only second-hand FF compatible lenses : so please don't take me for wrong, i would hate having to start or feed a K-mount museum instead of using these lenses till my life's end with something else than film...

Last edited by Zygonyx; 09-29-2013 at 12:38 AM.
09-29-2013, 12:42 AM   #22
Pentaxian

By they way, it absolutely and completely makes sense to give the Pentax Full Frame series another name than K-XX. As we have seen with other brands no-one can really tell based on the name alone if that particular model is an APS-C or FF version. So what if Pentax just decided to make APS-C the "King" (K) series and FF the "Ace" (A) series? This way they can start a more logical numbering scheme.

(BTW: suddenly it also makes sense for Pentax to have a "Queen" series (Q) eh??? )

09-29-2013, 12:46 AM   #23
Pentaxian

This is - alas - another "practical" argument...
09-29-2013, 01:12 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Have you calculated your K-mount expenditures ?
I did, and it is worth more than 30 000 euros in only second-hand FF compatible lenses : so please don't take me for wrong, i would hate having to start or feed a K-mount museum instead of using these lenses till my life's end with something else than film...
Did you listen to what Pentax/Ricoh said? Do you think they're lying?
Does it make sense for Pentax to make the FF with a brand new mount, with no installed userbase, no existing lens, nothing - when it's already very difficult to make it in K-mount?
Besides, A-mount? That was Minolta's, now Sony's. Even the name is suspect, Pentax had many other letters to choose from.

Your calculated expenses in second hand equipment is irrelevant for this discussion, by the way.

Last edited by Kunzite; 09-29-2013 at 01:20 AM.
09-29-2013, 02:04 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote

(BTW: suddenly it also makes sense for Pentax to have a "Queen" series (Q) eh??? )
I see no problem with the Queen but can't help myself wondering about the little princess
09-29-2013, 02:27 AM   #26

What kind of divination magic was involved to make any sense of this tweet?
09-29-2013, 02:44 AM   #27

Pentax FF = A series ?

Pentax FF will be a "A Series" and not a "K series" (if it really will be) does'n mean an other mount. It will be a K-mount, but the FF series will be named A.
Remember that there was A Series, Z-Series, even M-Series, and all with the K-mount.

Last edited by Val.Ou; 09-29-2013 at 02:50 AM.
09-29-2013, 03:02 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by troenaas Quote

Earlier rumors mentioned a new A mount from Pentax. Should the rumor have been about a new Pentax FF A series?

Pentax fullframe camera is not coming under K series « NEW CAMERA. They refer to info from src-digicame-info which is supposed to be a reliable source, isn`t it?
Old mount - anything that fits K-mount / APS-C. We know what it looks like and can do.

New mount - not available. If you need info about advantages, ... look at Olympus OM-D in mFT mount. new mount would be a me too thing.

FF mount. K-mpiunt would fit. APS-C would work with short flange distance.

LX-d: wet dreams of old Pentax people.

Current trends:
small footprint cameras: short flange focal distance, no mirror, electronic viewfinder - check out mFT cameras to get the concept.
large footprint cameras: keep mirror for a couple more years, large lenses, like K-mount.
09-29-2013, 04:13 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Any FF program from Ricoh will be a money-losing proposition to begin with. They will have to plan for years ahead in the knowledge that it will take time to recoup their investment, build a solid and well-provisioned platform and secure a slice of the market for themselves even when the technical challenges have been met. Even then, it might all fail to work. Whichever mount and form-factor they choose (mirrorbox vs MILC, etc.) will surely be dictated by such considerations and it really doesn't matter whether it's an old mount, a new mount or a mount from the constellation of the three-headed goat. Whatever direction Ricoh choose will represent several years' of thought, research and R&D not only into FF but into the direction of the camera market generally. Their company's reputation will be at stake. So it's the old story: follow the money, not dodgy Google translations of what a spokesperson may or may not have said.
09-29-2013, 04:15 AM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by Val.Ou Quote
Pentax FF will be a "A Series" and not a "K series" (if it really will be) does'n mean an other mount. It will be a K-mount, but the FF series will be named A.
Remember that there was A Series, Z-Series, even M-Series, and all with the K-mount.
Let's go for a A-1 FF RICOH then