Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2013, 07:08 AM - 1 Like   #271
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I don't think that the camera is THAT heavy that it needs a right and a left grip. It's either an improved mirror drive or sensor shift assembly.
The mirror drive motor is on the bottom right side,

As for the sensor shift that would be done by the SR system itself!

I am thinking on another gadget pretty much discussed here and it has to be related to... yes, you guessed it right, with the EVF!

Attached Images

Last edited by RuiC; 10-02-2013 at 07:10 AM. Reason: semantics
10-02-2013, 07:24 AM   #272

Bump looks a bit odd but apart from that just as expected. Will be interesting to see what Pentax price it at, and what FF lenses they release with it.
10-02-2013, 08:05 AM   #273
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The hump seves as grip and the flap cover for whatever accessories for the K-3-( Shooting Video accessories plug)
10-02-2013, 08:15 AM   #274
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote

As for the sensor shift that would be done by the SR system itself!

I am thinking on another gadget pretty much discussed here and it has to be related to... yes, you guessed it right, with the EVF!
Ohw, but that would be fantastic!

10-02-2013, 08:15 AM   #275
Loyal Site Supporter

I would just say two things. First of all, I think it is good to see something new that was developed completely under Ricoh. After all of the hand wringing about the lack of activity under Ricoh (lack of new glass, new flagship bodies, etc) it is good to see something new coming on. Not unexpected, but good. The second thing is that it doesn't really matter to me about appearance. It would be nice if it used the same batteries/grip as the K5 and K5 II, but that wouldn't be a deal breaker. The big thing is that there be real improvements in important areas (auto focus, image quality, even video) that show real investment in the brand. A D7100 level camera with a little better image quality and a deeper buffer would work for me.
10-02-2013, 08:21 AM   #276
Site Supporter

Perhaps they just needed more space for the circuit board and had to design it this way to include whatever connector they needed. I'm thinking it's actually a plug for a remote/tethering feature.
10-02-2013, 09:01 AM   #277
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Really? Have PF users been outed as CaNikon reps? I thought that was just a PF urban legend.

If you put on a tin foil hat, you can avoid the mind control of these invasive CaNikon reps, I've found.
10-02-2013, 09:05 AM - 1 Like   #278
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
Perhaps they just needed more space for the circuit board and had to design it this way to include whatever connector they needed. I'm thinking it's actually a plug for a remote/tethering feature.
They might be planning a few generations ahead yet. I'd kill for an ap that would let me do focus peaking on my iPad screen. (Slapping myself.. don't set yourself up for disappointment you fool.)

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
If you put on a tin foil hat, you can avoid the mind control of these invasive CaNikon reps, I've found.
Naw, you just have to read the posts sober. Most of them have never used a Pentax camera. If you were drunk, enough, who knows what might happen.

10-02-2013, 09:45 AM   #279

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
This is not the only possible design. Here is a picture of Nikon mirror box with a motor located in the same position where K-3 has a hump:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/ee_uploads/news/547/d7000-teardown-17-s.jpg
10-02-2013, 10:46 AM   #280
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vitc Quote
This is not the only possible design. Here is a picture of Nikon mirror box with a motor located in the same position where K-3 has a hump:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/ee_uploads/news/547/d7000-teardown-17-s.jpg
Yes. The motor seems connected by a bunch of gears, so putting the motor at the top opposite side would explain the bump.
10-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #281
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
Don't judge the bulge till you know what it's for :P

Besides, forget the looks - what's the specs?!

Seems like the number of icons on the mode-dial are the same. Can only see one button above the power switch - probably a second one to the side just like now. The trusty top-lcd is there too. Aside from that split of the AF switch, there's nothing else different.
Could be a sock.....
10-02-2013, 11:33 AM   #282
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Though I'm only speculating, I'm almost certain any FF camera Pentax may develop would function in some type of crop mode. I guess that's my way of saying the lens attached doesn't define the sensor size.
Some Nikon FF bodies automatically crop DX lenses.
10-02-2013, 12:09 PM   #283
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
Hmm... I got it! It is a port to tie MULTIPLE K3's together! That way you can just daisy chain them together for those Matrix movie style slo-mo action fight sequences! Also allows second K3 to act as a combined larger sensor for the FF crowd, and with 2- 24Mpix K3's,(48Mpix) you can out-do the D645 40Mpix sensor. See, all rumours satisfied! LOL!
10-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #284

Not sure there's anything pointing at this camera being FF besides the prism housing. Still looks like APS-C to me, for the body is very small and packed so tight with components, it could be impossible to fit in a FF sensor anyway.

Regarding the bulge on the side, it could be for various reasons, from better grip when using pancakes to housing some wifi or GPS device that couldn't fit in in another place.

Now concerning the bigger pentaprism housing, I can of three possibilities other than FF, one being making room for a larger metering system (that rumored 86,000-segment metering sensor might be much bigger than the previous, 77-segment one), the other being giving users a bigger and even brighter viewfinder than before, the third option being both of the above.

Now I don't care so much about FF. Not since I got my hands on a K-5, for the gain in DR and high ISO performance isn't worth the added expense and added weight of FF gear.
10-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #285
Lens Buying Addict

All I know is every time someone who might know what it is (Pentax Rep, Dealer Rep) gives a hint, the word "Special" is somewhere in the sentence. It is somethjing special.

What that means I surely do not know, but I'm pretty sure it isn't just another K-5 extension. My guess is this camera addresses many / most / all of the shortcomings we have bemoaned about Pentax cameras for years and years, but approaches them in a uniquely Pentaxy way..