Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2013, 09:03 PM   #361
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Either that or the body was already so chock-full of awesome the only way to fit more was to bulge outwards.

Archived

10-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #362
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Considering how the GR undercut the Coolpix A by a considerable amount, might the K-3 have a lower price than perhaps many are predicting?
10-03-2013, 10:22 PM   #363
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Considering how the GR undercut the Coolpix A by a considerable amount, might the K-3 have a lower price than perhaps many are predicting?
Says who? In Japan, Coolpix A is cheaper than the GR, and it sells reasonably well, according to some. In fact, the primary market for both camera is Japan. It may be that Nikon sells more than enough.

The problem with both GR and Coolpix A, is that they are designed for the Japanese traditional viewpoint and approach to photography. That approach isn't shared so much elsewhere, and that is why both cameras will remain niche products.

If they want a wider reach, I think a camera under Pentax name must be released, not Ricoh, and must sport a fantastic 35mm-40mm optics, and the latest image engine, and at least 20MP. Or, totally dwarf X100s and the X1 / X2. I know Pentax engineers can do it, it is only whether Ricoh will allow such baby to come out and endanger their precious GR.

But to me it seems that Ricoh, same as with 645D, leaves opportunity after opportunity slipping away.

Last edited by Uluru; 10-03-2013 at 10:38 PM.
10-03-2013, 11:31 PM - 1 Like   #364
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Video, meh. No need for headphones, etc. I have a purpose built HD video camera for video, I want a camera to do pictures, and do them well. Unless this thing would do 4k video then it gets nothign more than a meh from me on video capabilities. Thethering would be much more useful.
Yikes. Have tried those, even relatively expensive ones, they can't even come close to the quality of my K-5. Night and day. Well, at least video quality. Colors, dynamic range, sharpness (though purpose built HD cameras sharpen a lot), details, low light sensitivity, ... the difference is HUGE.

To describe the audio quality of the K-5 as awful would be an insult to the word awful. I wish someone made a general purpose microphone (not those aimed ones you can find everywhere) to mount on the hotshoe of a DSLR. If possible with the ability to record audio too... so you plug it into the camera with a pass through, but if you don't forget it you can also record it straight to a microSD card in the microphone, surpassing the ridiculous AGC in the K-5 (most cameras have more or less usable AGC, the K-5 has one that instantly changes the volume, instead of averaging a bit...).

Purpose built video cameras are great at everything except for image quality. The optics aren't that good, they usually don't have any wide angle (most start at around 35-45mm!), and mobile phones these days have way better sensors (Nokia Lumia 1020 for example). Microphones are way better, the CPU encoding the video is better, etc. But I even prefer my Canon point & shoot in terms of actual video quality over a purpose built camcorder with its 1/5" sensor...

10-03-2013, 11:49 PM   #365
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
In Japan, Coolpix A is cheaper than the GR
Current prices at Bic:

Nikon Coolpix A - 96,800 Yen
Ricoh GR - 91,800 Yen
10-03-2013, 11:49 PM   #366
Pentaxian

To me the bump looks like it could be there for ergonomic purposes, though the Fx button seems to be a bit too high...
10-04-2013, 12:27 AM   #367
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Either that or the body was already so chock-full of awesome the only way to fit more was to bulge outwards.
my awesome gets chock full now and then but it's me that bulges. (Not really but I thought it was worth trying to make a joke)
10-04-2013, 04:27 AM   #368
Site Supporter

so

well 25 pages of discussion ...

based on the curent results, we are expecting a camera that will be great news in Pentax land, but how does it compater to its pears. 24 megapixel APS-C camera are around for quite some time, with better focusing module when discussed for the K3 so far. Everything will be better, but far from great, new, exciting...

10-04-2013, 04:33 AM   #369
Site Supporter

Anyone seeing the comments by "Gaz" on RiceLow's site? He's been saying it was shot at CRK's offices in Melbourne!
10-04-2013, 04:46 AM   #370
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bhairavp Quote
Anyone seeing the comments by "Gaz" on RiceLow's site? He's been saying it was shot at CRK's offices in Melbourne!
Yes I just finished reading all that and thought it seemed odd that he could maintain a relationship with a major distributor like CRK and have such loose lips. What I did find interesting was a comment where he suggested Pentax would be concentrating on new/better screw drive tech for lenses. I said something almost exactly like this a couple of hours ago on this forum and his comment actually got me to take the suggestion (that I made myself) rather more seriously.
10-04-2013, 04:49 AM   #371
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
(...) how does it compater to its pears
(...)
Like apples to oranges, son .
10-04-2013, 04:57 AM   #372
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
What I did find interesting was a comment where he suggested Pentax would be concentrating on new/better screw drive tech for lenses.
Concentrating on improving screw drive makes sense if they are focussing more on video, like they seem to do from the rumors. You can't have the AF making that typical screwdrive noise during video, so it has to be a whole lot more silent too.
10-04-2013, 05:06 AM   #373
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Yes I just finished reading all that and thought it seemed odd that he could maintain a relationship with a major distributor like CRK and have such loose lips. What I did find interesting was a comment where he suggested Pentax would be concentrating on new/better screw drive tech for lenses. I said something almost exactly like this a couple of hours ago on this forum and his comment actually got me to take the suggestion (that I made myself) rather more seriously.
I think this "Gaz" makes too many comments on this and that, meant to make him look well connected, and is too keen on slightly modifying said comments when somebody raises an objection to not be considered as a potential hollow attention-craver. Remember Mike Svitek?

(I am not saying both are the same person, only that their respective behaviours are pretty similar)
10-04-2013, 05:09 AM   #374
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by fast50 Quote
Current prices at Bic:

Nikon Coolpix A - 96,800 Yen
Ricoh GR - 91,800 Yen
Few months ago, in June, the GR was $80 more expensive than Coolpix A.
10-04-2013, 05:14 AM   #375
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Few months ago, in June, the GR was $80 more expensive than Coolpix A.
Today, a GR is USD 300 less than a Coolpix A in the USA.