Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2013, 04:38 PM   #421
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Unfortunately, its really that bland stuff some guys have been mentioning.......

(though some folks who use it may be happy about it being there)

10-04-2013, 04:47 PM   #422
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
It is desirable for the electroluminescent display to be formed integrally with the focusing screen.

It is desirable for the electroluminescent display to display the object image captured by the image pickup device and various information, when the main mirror is retracted from the optical path of the photographing lens, and for theelectroluminescent display to only display the various information when the main mirror lies on the optical path of the photographing lens.

It is desirable for the single-lens-reflex digital camera to include a light shield screen which selectively covers and uncovers a surface of the focusing screen which is adjacent to the main mirror.

It is desirable for the single-lens-reflex digital camera to include a mirror drive mechanism which drives the main mirror, and a light shield screen drive mechanism which retracts the light shield screen from a position thereof which covers thesurface of the focusing screen. The mirror drive mechanism and the light shield screen drive mechanism are integrated with each other.

It is desirable for the main mirror to be retracted from the optical path of the photographing lens in the case where the photographing lens has an image stabilizing capability.

It is desirable for the single-lens-reflex digital camera to be configured to allow the object image displayed by the electroluminescent display and the optical image formed on the focusing screen to be selectively viewed through the viewfinder.

It is desirable for the electroluminescent display to be positioned on one side of the focusing screen from the main mirror.

It is desirable for the single-lens-reflex digital camera to include a light shield screen which is selectively inserted into and retracted from a space between the focusing screen and the main mirror when the main mirror is in a retractedposition in which the main mirror is positioned out of the optical path of the photographing lens.
Electroluminescent is any type of electronic/digital display technology. It would have to be transparent or nearly so. When the mirror is in the optical path, it would have to be transparent enough to let the light pass, with the ability to superimpose things like focus points, settings, etc. When the mirror is up, in live view, something would block the light from the mirror chamber, and the screen would display what the sensor sees. Probably the fresnel lens, or focus screen would be made up of some type of display technology. Anyone any ideas what this would look like or where it is used otherwise? HUD screens or similar?

Very interesting. I think of this as an outrageously great movie mode feature. For still shots it would depend on the resolution and speed of the display. If the resolution is adequate, focus aids like focus peaking through the viewfinder. For normal still shooting, the ovf will work just fine, if not better with the superimposed data. Probably as busy or clear as one would like. Many of the shortcomings of EVF's are avoided by using the OVF function when needed.

Again, very very interesting.
10-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #423

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I'm not an engineer, but I think you are incorrect for the optical view, but correct for the electroluminescent view..
Well the other optical path between the lens and the sensor. You refered to the Sony Pellicle mirror so thats the one I was refering to. I still say the mirror is never in that path when an image is captured. This is all likely a moot point if its not whats in the new camera.
10-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #424
Veteran Member

It's soooo obvious

The hump? Elementary Watson... Open the lateral port briskly... insert carbon rod.
It's the HD*autoISO pencil sharpener you've all been asking for.

*Hyper-Dryve

Attached Images

10-04-2013, 05:45 PM   #425
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Electroluminescent is any type of electronic/digital display technology. It would have to be transparent or nearly so. When the mirror is in the optical path, it would have to be transparent enough to let the light pass, with the ability to superimpose things like focus points, settings, etc. When the mirror is up, in live view, something would block the light from the mirror chamber, and the screen would display what the sensor sees. Probably the fresnel lens, or focus screen would be made up of some type of display technology. Anyone any ideas what this would look like or where it is used otherwise? HUD screens or similar?

Very interesting. I think of this as an outrageously great movie mode feature. For still shots it would depend on the resolution and speed of the display. If the resolution is adequate, focus aids like focus peaking through the viewfinder. For normal still shooting, the ovf will work just fine, if not better with the superimposed data. Probably as busy or clear as one would like. Many of the shortcomings of EVF's are avoided by using the OVF function when needed.

Again, very very interesting.
I actually had this idea about a year ago, and it uses a transparent OLED display. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography-industry/191929-idea-...iewfinder.html

QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
I was thinking about Canon's implementation of the Intelligent Viewfinder, which uses a transmittive LCD to display AF points and other information. http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E7D/ZPOLYNETLCD.JPG

This isn't the first time we've discussed hybrid viewfinders and possible implementation on DSLR cameras, but here's an idea for a more advanced information overlay: A full-color viewfinder overlay can be implemented by replacing the transmittive LCD and illumination LED in the Intelligent Viewfinder with a transparent OLED display as described in this article. I'm not sure about patents regarding this system, but it would be relatively simple to implement. If implemented correctly, the OLED display could show a Live View image with the mirror up, hence producing a hybrid viewfinder.
I am not aware of any current implementation of an SLR hybrid viewfinder of this kind--yet Pentax holds a patent on this (potentially revolutionary) technology. If Ricoh-Pentax delivers such a viewfinder in the K-3, our user base could grow quite a bit. Let us hope this is true...

--DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 10-04-2013 at 06:17 PM.
10-04-2013, 06:19 PM   #426
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Seriously, if the K-3 improves as much as the K-5 did from the K-7, then it's going to rock, even without all the extraordinary powers.
Seeing as no (non-pentax) APS-C camera is really better than the K-5 now, I'm going to say that's difficult. But I hope it's true.

The K-5 certainly wasn't much better than the K-7 on paper, so we will have to 'wait and see'. I certainly have my hopes up.
10-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #427
Pentaxian

What does Fx below the Raw button mean?
10-04-2013, 07:01 PM   #428
bxf
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I assume you're aware that K5 has the same label on this button.

I always took it to mean "Function x", since its function can be changed by the user.

10-04-2013, 07:01 PM   #429
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/223884-raw-full-frame-format-button.html
10-04-2013, 07:03 PM   #430
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
I actually had this idea about a year ago, and it uses a transparent OLED display.

I am not aware of any current implementation of an SLR hybrid viewfinder of this kind--yet Pentax holds a patent on this (potentially revolutionary) technology. If Ricoh-Pentax delivers such a viewfinder in the K-3, our user base could grow quite a bit. Let us hope this is true...

--DragonLord
I wonder if this could be used for quick multiple exposures. If it wasn't necessary to lower the mirror between every shot to give the viewfinder something to show, couldn't the rate be increased without an increase in the cost and complexity of the hardware? A 12 fps mirror has to be one seriously designed piece of machinery, but 12fps when you lift the mirror, take shots until done, drop the mirror would be far less complex and expensive. As long as the data pipe is big enough.

The viewfinder when shooting like this is snippets of information between mirror movements. Oddly our eye/brain interface manages to make it look seamless and smooth, nonetheless the view isn't as clear as an open viewfinder. So an evf could work ok under those circumstances. If there were a few modes; single shot, repeating slow and medium with the mirror dropping each time, and fast with no mirror movement and the viewfinder displaying the evf hybrid.

I'd buy that.
10-04-2013, 08:08 PM   #431
Veteran Member

Sensor Tilt & Shift Technology

The "hump" could have a mechanism for driving the tilting/shifting in the z-axis of the sensor.

PS> A few points to run by you:
1. Sensor z-shift for AF with manual lenses
2. Sensor z-shift to focus new lenses with no focus rings
3. Sensor z-shift to allow the design of a whole range of new lenses without focus rings
4. Sensor x-y shift & z-tilt to emulate tilt/shift lens tech
5. Sensor x-y shift to emulate the Hasselblad virtual MP method. (even a K-5 should be already able to do that)
6. Sensor z-shift to allow AF Fine Tune with a much greater range of adjustment

Last edited by bossa; 10-04-2013 at 08:19 PM.
10-04-2013, 08:30 PM   #432
Loyal Site Supporter

This comparison does a good job showing the differences.
Attached Images

10-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #433

Can't wait!!!

I have been holding off on upgrading my camera to a mid-level after purchasing my K-r 4 years ago...I was tempted to buy the K-5IIs, but I am still waiting to see what this illusive K-3 has to offer.
10-04-2013, 08:53 PM   #434
Site Supporter

Fx - actually f(x) - is shorthand for "function" in calculus as well.
10-04-2013, 09:09 PM   #435
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
This comparison does a good job showing the differences.

The K3 looks like a serious weapon! Me want! (esp if has dual card slots :-))