Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2013, 03:34 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
But the bump surely is big and must contain something special. Special enough to have a somewhat lesser looking body. And of course, a top model Pentax does not need to look like a human top model

10-01-2013, 03:36 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
But the bump surely is big and must contain something special. Special enough to have a somewhat lesser looking body. And of course, a top model Pentax does not need to look like a human top model
Well... at least the curves are there...

Wim
10-01-2013, 03:40 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Quick! Let's try think of ways that this photo can be a photoshop job :P
10-01-2013, 03:42 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It could just be a finger grip/rest.

10-01-2013, 03:45 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
I don't think that the camera is THAT heavy that it needs a right and a left grip. It's either an improved mirror drive or sensor shift assembly.
10-01-2013, 03:47 AM   #36
Veteran Member

I don't think that the camera is THAT heavy that it needs a right and a left grip. It's either an improved mirror drive or sensor shift assembly.
Ha! True.
10-01-2013, 04:07 AM   #37
Veteran Member

I have no idea what you guys are on about. How can it be ugly when its looks are so much the same as that of our beautiful trusty K-7, K-5, K-5II, K-5IIs? They haven't let Marc Newson do the design! And they probably didn't do the little redesign that they did, (the hump on the side and the larger prism hump) for no reason. So it's the reasons behind those small changes what I'm interested in. Can't be bad, can it?

Maybe we can switch on or off the tracking AF? Maybe we can choose between the number of AF points? Or choose AF type? Maybe we can now switch to CDAF whilst using the OVF? Or is that a hybrid viewfinder that Pentax pantented some time ago?

10-01-2013, 04:07 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
Just like on a human top model.
10-01-2013, 04:10 AM   #39
Forum Member

not sure, ... some sexy looks will for sure help selling the camera
10-01-2013, 04:12 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Could be ergonomics as well. I do sometimes hold my camera on the left side, esp with a pancake lens, and this bulbl may enhance the grip holding the camera that way?

Also an effect of the WA as mentioned by bossa I would say.
[EDIT]Or perhaps not, judging from the comparison posted by Asahiflex...[/EDIT]

Wim
When I said "bulbous" I was referring to the larger prism housing.

But there must surely be some circuit in that left hand side bulb you refer to as well.. it just seems like overkill to be that large.
10-01-2013, 04:15 AM - 1 Like   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I have no idea what you guys are on about. How can it be ugly when its looks are so much the same as that of our beautiful trusty K-7, K-5, K-5II, K-5IIs? They haven't let Marc Newson do the design!
But that surely looks like a horizontal chimney!
10-01-2013, 04:19 AM   #42
Veteran Member

some kind of actuator for that supposed sensor shift feature?

at any rate, I'm totally buying this thing.
10-01-2013, 04:19 AM   #43
Pentaxian

Another interpretation of that bump as I found out on my home forum (pentaxian.nl):

In previous Pentax models the motor for the mirror and the shutter was ALWAYS combined. It's possible that the mirror and the shutter now have their own motor, meaning that the mirror can stay in the up position while taking pictures in live view.
10-01-2013, 04:23 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Its the coffee bean grinder!
10-01-2013, 04:23 AM - 2 Likes   #45
Veteran Member

The protrusion on the left probably houses the mirror actuation motor. Just like in the k-5 series the protrusion on the right houses the aperture actuator motor. It seems it may have been moved further away from the mirror box compared to the k-5 series in order to possibly:

- accomodate a larger prism/viewfinder assembly

- a larger mirror drive motor for higher frame rates

- or a larger mirror box.

If rumors are true that the k-3 body is to be shared with the future FF body than this makes sense. A larger design volume for the mirror and viewfinder assembly will allow for:

- a bigger viewfinder for the APS-C model

- enough room for a FF mirror and viewfinder assembly in the FF model.

This might also explain the delay in releasing the k-3 which was initially rumoured to be ready last photokina. If Pentax management made a decision to market a FF model as revealed around last Photokina, then they may have changed plans to share a common platform with the k-3 and FF models in order to save development costs. The delay in releasing the K-3 may be for effort required to redesign for a common platform.

Last edited by Ayoh; 10-01-2013 at 04:31 AM.