Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 68 Likes Search this Thread
10-01-2013, 08:55 AM   #136
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Where's the dedicated movie button?

10-01-2013, 08:56 AM   #137

Photos: Albums
Bigger hump, also looks to be deeper than my K5 when held up to the screen in similar aspect. Hmmmmmmm.
10-01-2013, 08:56 AM - 10 Likes   #138
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
On your dedicated video camera.
10-01-2013, 09:00 AM   #139
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
"The hump" under different lighting

Wait a second...how is this picture on the 9th page of this thread?!
was this pic introduced on another thread?

10-01-2013, 09:00 AM   #140

This picture looks legit. When that front on picture of the K3 was leaked, I noticed that bulge on the left shoulder, and was wondering what it was all about. It's there for a reason, I'm sure of it.
10-01-2013, 09:04 AM   #141
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Ask my brother what he thinks of the "beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep" movie button on t´his Samsung NX, he prays that Pentax skips one.
10-01-2013, 09:11 AM   #142

I haven't seen anyone refer to the hump on the other side of the lens. If I compare the K-3 front view to my K-5 there is definitely more volume between the lens and the grip.

It looks like the left bulge (in the direction of shooting) continues across the lens mount through to the other side.

Now let me speculate before it's too late: I think it is the axis and drive for a second semi-transparent mirror which directs some light onto the AF sensor while the mirror is raised, to enable PDAF in video or live view mode.

It's still dreaming time!

10-01-2013, 09:14 AM   #143
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Haha... A camera with a beefy double motor should flaunt it and have openings with chrome air intakes too.
Ok, now we're talking.

Available in two colors: black, or black with flames.
10-01-2013, 09:15 AM   #144
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Ask my brother what he thinks of the "beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep" movie button on t´his Samsung NX, he prays that Pentax skips one.
It has to be there for dpreview just take care you can reprogram to a different function.
10-01-2013, 09:17 AM   #145
Veteran Member

I believe that the bump is a dedicated mirror motor to allow the mirror and shutter to work independently during live view, video etc. Using dedicated motors for shutter,mirror and focus simplifies the mechanism and gives the processor greater control. It also reduces cost,reduces mechanical noise and is easier to update features.
10-01-2013, 09:18 AM - 1 Like   #146

Okay, so before the reality dampens the rampant speculation:

The hump is a wifi receiver and sending unit. This is needed, because the LCD screen is removable and usable as a remote with full depth-of field preview as well as focus peaking. This allows birders and astro-photographers to leave the rig set up and take pictures from afar... a gimbal mount controllable tripod will be announced simultaneously. This way you don't need to be near the rig to take pictures. It also feeds into the 'selfie' obsession where you can see exactly how the picture will look in real time before taking it (since real outdoors people (the pentax niche) are often on their own in the wilderness. Also, they've rammed a GPS tracking unit as well as a superior flash unit in there... just for good measure.

Cheers,
10-01-2013, 09:19 AM   #147
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I have no idea what you guys are on about. How can it be ugly when its looks are so much the same as that of our beautiful trusty K-7, K-5, K-5II, K-5IIs? They haven't let Marc Newson do the design! And they probably didn't do the little redesign that they did, (the hump on the side and the larger prism hump) for no reason. So it's the reasons behind those small changes what I'm interested in. Can't be bad, can it?

Maybe we can switch on or off the tracking AF? Maybe we can choose between the number of AF points? Or choose AF type? Maybe we can now switch to CDAF whilst using the OVF? Or is that a hybrid viewfinder that Pentax pantented some time ago?
Oh god. I'd love to see a Newson designed DSLR! The last time they let a famous industrial designer do a DSLR this happened:

Ever since cameras looked the way they do now. And that was Colani, who I'm not so much a fan of. Newson is however is pretty good.

I hope it wasn't designed with having a FF sensor in mind... that would mean the camera will be unnecessarily big (unless they fit it with a sensor shift system that allows for more movement).

And about those complaining about the fit and finish... it may very well be a prototype, with some rough edges here and there.

@Fogel70: Dedicated video cameras usually suck. No matter how expensive. Unless you go for something like a Black Magic, RED, ... but those aren't exactly meant for consumers. A dedicated video button would make very much sense, the K-5 is a great video camera that can easily beat Canon, all that is missing is a dedicated video button and some small firmware changes. Besides, you could always reconfigure the video button to something you want. They could even allow us to use the Fx button for video recording, I'd be happy with that. But sadly no one at Pentax shoots video... huge missed opportunity. I hope that stupid mode dial is cheap to fix, cause it won't last long because of the stupid lack of a video button.
10-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #148
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
But sadly no one at Pentax shoots video...
They do but they use a Canon.
10-01-2013, 09:31 AM   #149
Veteran Member

OMG that's the second time I see this, the first time was with Theta
10-01-2013, 09:31 AM   #150

Looks nice. If it is an actual shot then I like everything about it EXCEPT the AF rework. Nikon did this with their new models and it is horrible. It really slows down your switching time between focus modes. I hope that if Pentax did switch this system that they at least made it more useable.