Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 68 Likes Search this Thread
10-01-2013, 10:49 PM   #226
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stereo out monitor would mean that you are able to hear what is going on with phones. What remains to be seen is that jack, what is the size ect. That would really mean that this camera would be more aimed for video than models before. IMO, for me it would be just fine!

10-01-2013, 10:50 PM   #227
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
'Hulkish' looking top.
almost like a cross of k5 and 645d.

The af selector and button may make better sense.
Af/Mf -switches between the 2
af mode - no aids; peaking; catch in focus; afs-c; af 'predictive'; etc

The Hulk is one of my favourite comic characters, so that means I kind of like its look
10-01-2013, 11:14 PM   #228
Veteran Member

It's not really that far from the K-7/K-5 body design. Like pinholecam said, a little more "hulk"-ish, but that's about it. The buttons we see from the available pics look well-enough placed.

Things are looking great on the high end of Pentax. New flashes, a new flagship body, and coating upgrades. I wonder if C/N/S have their own stuff to unleash this time of the year.

Speaking of Sony, does the new A3000/A58 sensor have built-in PDAF?
10-01-2013, 11:30 PM   #229
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Warpig Quote
I like the look of it. The big prism house reminds me of the 67, likely the sexiest camera ever
the pentaprism housing reminds me of Kiev 6

10-01-2013, 11:32 PM   #230

While I read in some leaked specs that the K-3 has a headphone jack, I was wondering if that hump was for a more serious (not single pin) Flash cable (Pentax 5 Pin with screw) socket.

Something like https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/sold-items/79968d1294302273-s...s-imgp4199.jpg

Something that you wouldn't keep (un)plugging and would make sense to hide away for a majority of users ?

You know, being all professional and stuff ... Having a real off-camera flash wired solution without adapters would be good.
10-01-2013, 11:45 PM   #231
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
The hump location is where a mirror motor is located (at least on some Nikon cameras). However, the whole mirror box seems to protrude forward, leaving more room between the shutter and the back of the camera thus requiring the hump for the motor. Not sure how this space is used. What feature could excuse such poor exterior design? I guess the only thing people would forgive the appearance for is full frame. Taking into account that the mirror box looks pretty large and also the pentaprism housing is large enough, I am wondering if the camera on the picture is indeed a full frame one. Then extra room could be needed for bigger SR for bigger sensor.
10-01-2013, 11:50 PM   #232
Veteran Member

Please do not get carried away with thoughts of this prism housing looking huge. In the thread of the first leaked K-3 photo froeschle made this comparison:
QuoteQuote:
A different approach, from left to right: •K-5 with BG
•K-3 scaled to match BG of (K-5 with BG)
•K-3 additionally scaled in vertical direction to match size of K-5
The second approach also yields a nearly identical PENTAX lettering.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/238043-new-image-k-3-a...#ixzz2gXpiWzBL

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/238043-new-image-k-3-a...ml#post2521038

To me this looks like a slightly higher housing but not "OMG it's huge and I expect something revolutionary but will be so disappointed"-huge

10-01-2013, 11:51 PM   #233
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by curlednoodles Quote
I think its an ergonomic design. When holding the camera with 2 hands, it lets your thumb sit comfortably whilst contributing in supporting the cameras weight. This should help with stability.
It's not the Pentax logic, making an empty hump that only enlarges the camera for no particular reason other then being a thumb rest. Moreover, a thumbrest wouldn't make sense, as normally a DSLR is supported by the right hand, whilst the left supports the lens. No they only did this out of necessity. It has to house some musscle!
10-01-2013, 11:55 PM   #234
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Supernaut Quote
Please do not get carried away with thoughts of this prism housing looking huge. In the thread of the first leaked K-3 photo froeschle made this comparison:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/238043-new-image-k-3-a...ml#post2521038

To me this looks like a slightly higher housing but not "OMG it's huge and I expect something revolutionary but will be so disappointed"-huge
If you look at the latest photo (in this thread, anyway) you'll see that the flash unit is set a millimetre or so higher, and the "nose" of the prism housing projects a millimetre or so further forward. "Revolutionary" has a habit of coming (like good things) in small packages, these days.
10-02-2013, 12:01 AM   #235
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
If you look at the latest photo (in this thread, anyway) you'll see that the flash unit is set a millimetre or so higher, and the "nose" of the prism housing projects a millimetre or so further forward. "Revolutionary" has a habit of coming (like good things) in small packages, these days.
Yes I have noticed this.
Just trying to reduce the number of "Pentax is doomed" threads just after the camera is presented.
10-02-2013, 12:08 AM   #236
Veteran Member

The lens in the original picture looks pasted on afterwards. And it's a red-banded HD pasted in (if it is): perhaps the person who produced the picture wanted to give the impression that the picture is more recent than it is. My guess is that it's either a prototype of some camera, not necessarily the one about to be launched, or that it's a snap of a body-only which is heavily distorted by a mobile cam lens. Either way, I expect the real article to look better and less of a porker.
10-02-2013, 12:09 AM   #237
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Supernaut Quote

Yes, that's why I think the picture in the OP of this thread is a bit distorted due to the upclose phonecam picture. The prism hump just got blown up a bit by the distortion.

The hump on the side though... If you connect rumors together... The 40mp by sensor shift -trick might also have something to do with it. It may have a special mechanism to take the two needed pictures in very exact positions. Like two "lockdown" points in the SR mechanism. Or it might have something to do with those two pictures being made in extremely rapid succession. So it might still be usable on moving subject, with shutter speed and framerate restrictions.
10-02-2013, 12:15 AM   #238
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hump on the side is... a tripod socket à la 645D
10-02-2013, 12:45 AM   #239
TZH

Wifi !!
10-02-2013, 01:13 AM   #240
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
It will be easier to use a button, and the button could have dual function.
Button also means that you can save AF mode and AF points to user modes.