Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2013, 01:08 PM   #286
Forum Member

I have no idea how it works, but the rumored more AF points, would need a bigger housing in the prism area?

10-02-2013, 01:15 PM   #287
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tigrebleu Quote
Not sure there's anything pointing at this camera being FF besides the prism housing. Still looks like APS-C to me, for the body is very small and packed so tight with components, it could be impossible to fit in a FF sensor anyway.

Regarding the bulge on the side, it could be for various reasons, from better grip when using pancakes to housing some wifi or GPS device that couldn't fit in in another place.

Now concerning the bigger pentaprism housing, I can of three possibilities other than FF, one being making room for a larger metering system (that rumored 86,000-segment metering sensor might be much bigger than the previous, 77-segment one), the other being giving users a bigger and even brighter viewfinder than before, the third option being both of the above.

Now I don't care so much about FF. Not since I got my hands on a K-5, for the gain in DR and high ISO performance isn't worth the added expense and added weight of FF gear.
Yes, there's surely not much point in producing an FF right now since the APS-C range needs updating and that's the bread-and-butter earner, one might think. Better perhaps to get the APS-C range really sorted out and tackle FF next year which allows more time for making lenses, prepping the marketing and sales force, et al. Besides, Ricoh also surely need to have an improved AF system well bedded down before moving on and this new camera might help them with that. I do hope Ricoh announce some action on lenses as well as the new camera, whatever it is and whenever it actually appears.
10-02-2013, 01:24 PM   #288
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Warpig Quote
I have no idea how it works, but the rumored more AF points, would need a bigger housing in the prism area?
AF module is below the mirror, a FF would need more room under the lens mount.
10-02-2013, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #289

Everyone is expecting something revolutionary. If Pentax has taught me anything, they are evolutionary, and generally a follower, not a leader. It would be great if the hump was some kind of time travel device, or whatever the board is guessing will solve every deficiency a Pentax camera has ever had, but I will stick with history to predict the future.

10-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #290
Pentaxian

Which Pentax taught you that? The shadow of a glorious past, who made a late entry in the digital game and couldn't restart the spark in time? Maybe the Hoya division, bought just when things were starting to look better, which had to consider short term profit above everything else?
But now it's Pentax, the Ricoh Imaging brand (yet continuing the heritage). As Asahi Optical in the past, maybe they're preparing to lead again
10-02-2013, 02:06 PM   #291
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chiane Quote
Everyone is expecting something revolutionary. If Pentax has taught me anything, they are evolutionary, and generally a follower, not a leader. It would be great if the hump was some kind of time travel device, or whatever the board is guessing will solve every deficiency a Pentax camera has ever had, but I will stick with history to predict the future.
I don't think it's necessarily true that Pentax is not a leader, except for sales in the main markets. In technical terms, the K20D led the MP race for a while, weather-sealing was adopted earlier and more extensively on Pentax DSLRs, the Q is still unique, and the K-01 (for all its earlier detractors here, some of whom, as with the Q, still don't get it) was a unique mirrorless body. Your point about evolution is also true, however, as it was with Pentax in the film era – but even then there were several revolutionary steps, with long evolutionary periods in between, and, of course, they were a market leader then.
10-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #292
Pentaxian

Indeed, affordable weather sealing, good (APS-C) viewfinders - they didn't only follow. But, if no one would notice, until the competition is doing the same and then suddenly it's such a bright idea - is that "leading"?
Pentax is now preparing to lead, mark my words.

10-02-2013, 02:37 PM   #293
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's now clear that the K-3 is real.

I'm pretty sure the extra bump is for a new drive motor. We know that a new AF system is inside. I'm pretty sure this can really compete with the 7D and kin...

--DragonLord
10-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #294
Pentaxian

Compete with some obsolete cameras?
By the way, I was (not so) randomly browsing the internet when I found a D400 rumor - dated 2009. It actually predates the D300s announcement by few weeks.
10-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #295
Veteran Member

Well, I'm not sure why the 7D doesn't have a direct successor to it. It definitely looks like it can go up against the D7100, though.

--DragonLord
10-02-2013, 02:57 PM   #296
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
Well, I'm not sure why the 7D doesn't have a direct successor to it. It definitely looks like it can go up against the D7100, though.

--DragonLord

going against D7100 has been accomplished before.

Maybe you were initially talking a bout the 70D?
10-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #297
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
Nikon D7100 vs Pentax K-5 II S - YouTube

going against D7100 has been accomplished before.

Maybe you were initially talking a bout the 70D?
Not just in terms of image quality and handling. I'm a sports and event photographer for my college, and fast AF and continuous shooting really matter to me.

--DragonLord
10-02-2013, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #298
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chiane Quote
Everyone is expecting something revolutionary. If Pentax has taught me anything, they are evolutionary, and generally a follower, not a leader....
Pentax is behind many good aspects of the DSLR photography, because it never catered for the professional market. That decision to not cater for professionals, has cost Pentax many lost opportunities, good excuses for prosperity of the brand and development of new technologies. As a consequence, the company and the camera brand has slipped off people's radars slowly, through decades. It almost vanished several years ago.

With Pentax, the flash system, the AF, video capabilities, etc., were all behind the (D)SLR competition, because the competitors did cater for the professional market, and were advancing more in all those crucial areas that makes the (D)SLR photography worthwhile.

And for that advancement made by Nikon and Canon in particular, the halo effect was created, that helps the whole photography industry sell more DSLRs — even in midst of economic troubles — than any other ILC cameras. Because DLSRs are, still, the most sophisticated, versatile and soundly designed image capturing devices, thanks to enormous investments of Nikon and Canon. Pentax cameras are in part sold thanks to that halo effect, and not because Pentax camera deserved to be bought based on their own merits, or Pentax's "contribution to DSLR photography".

During the last 2 decades, Pentax was just enjoying the good outcomes of that halo effect, by hiding itself under Nikon's and Canon's shadow, carefully avoiding any more serious investment, and adding only so much to its offer to slightly differentiate itself. And that was all.

So after the early 1990s, as you can see from the brand's timeline, Pentax has stopped being leader in anything particular. If it got a new sensor a few weeks before the others, doesn't count as any "advancement", only circumstantial opportunity, because underlying technologies haven't changed much because Pentax was never addressing them thoroughly.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite:
But now it's Pentax, the Ricoh Imaging brand (yet continuing the heritage). As Asahi Optical in the past, maybe they're preparing to lead again
Ricoh Imaging has to catch up with so many things to make Pentax up to date, that I'd leave out, for now, any optimistic prognosis about the bright and bold future. Before starting to clap, let's rather see in which direction Ricoh Imaging now wants to go with the Pentax brand. So far, we have no clue about it — all assumptions are based only on our wild guesses and unfulfilled desires.

Last edited by Uluru; 10-02-2013 at 04:25 PM.
10-02-2013, 04:23 PM   #299

QuoteQuote:
...because underlying technologies hasn't changed much because Pentax was never addressing them thoroughly.
Because Hoya slashed the R&D budget down to nearly nothing...
10-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #300
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SideRaptor Quote
Because Hoya slashed the R&D budget down to nearly nothing...
Let's stop blaming Hoya. Hoya happened to Pentax exactly because Pentax never cared about finding good excuses for brand uplifting, for new tech, to be leader in something.
If Pentax had a different mindset, Hoya would never happen to them.