Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 68 Likes Search this Thread
10-03-2013, 01:00 AM   #316
Veteran Member

I just love the way Americans throw out figures like the D800 cost $2800 like that's exactly what they cost. I live in Australia and have two D800E's and they cost me AU$3850 and AU$3750 respectively - and that was when the AU$ was like US$1.10. We pay 10% GST and always get screwed way beyond that because we are a captive market. B&H & Adorama are not allowed to ship US stocked Nikon cameras to Australia, only the grey market stuff. By the time I import something that costs over a grand (including shipping) I have to add GST and it always ends up being not really worth it when you consider local warranty.

I wish Ricoh would hurry up and announce this new camera and put everyone out of their misery, it's a spectator sport I could do without and I'm running out of popcorn.

Last edited by bossa; 10-03-2013 at 01:28 AM.
10-03-2013, 01:07 AM   #317
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
I'm not sure a new camera needs any cool feature to set itself apart. It's hard to think of one, for a start, and chances are high that the new feature will soon be seen as a gimmick. For example, there's quite a chance that any 40mp super mode will turn out to be jpeg-only and dependent on the camera remaining perfectly still. This isn't much more than an extension of the present HDR mode on my K5 and how many people use that more than once in a blue moon? I get much better results in that department using Photomatix to blend handheld bracketed shots and it's all from RAW, not jpeg. I would argue that the three features a new camera needs most are a new-generation sensor with electronics to match, improved AF and improved flash. I'm tempted to add two other features to that list: wifi and a good app for mobile which allows tethering via live view; and a fuller catalogue of lenses, particularly replacements for the DA 12-24mm with motor and WR and for the DA* 16-50mm which is substandard at this level, and the introduction of a large tele-zoom for sports/action shooters of the 120-400mm variety. A new and more up-to-date camera would always be welcome, of course, but without action on a wider front it's also a bit of a sucker punch.
I completely agree. I've used the inbody HDR feature of the K-5 only twice. Using exposure bracketing is much more flexible and give much better results. The sensor-shift gimmick would only be very usable if it produced already blended RAW images. But then they're already spoiling us.

But on the other hand, to play devils advocate again, if it's just a K-5 with higher res sensor and better AF... Why would I upgrade? I think they know very well that it must have something more to enthuse people to upgrade.
10-03-2013, 02:55 AM   #318
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Hump on the side is... a tripod socket à la 645D
Actually it's a complete fold out tripod with a handy fold out chair... And it has robotic legs so the camera can carry its own *beep-beep* tripod...
10-03-2013, 03:25 AM   #319
Veteran Member

Maybe the there's a little gyroscope inside the hump, to stabilize the camera. Tripod-stability in handheld shots.

10-03-2013, 03:45 AM   #320
Veteran Member

I have it on good authority that The Hump contains a fold-out windshield wiper - they finally figured out that it was pointless having a camera and lens that you could use in the rain without a wiper to keep water off the glass.
10-03-2013, 03:45 AM   #321
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Maybe the there's a little gyroscope inside the hump, to stabilize the camera. Tripod-stability in handheld shots.
Apparently it's a headset socket. If true, and if the new flash continuous LED light was designed for that purpose, the K-3 could be a good video-machine.
10-03-2013, 04:00 AM   #322
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Apparently it's a headset socket. If true, and if the new flash continuous LED light was designed for that purpose, the K-3 could be a good video-machine.
Good one! (I'm assuming that you're joking.)

10-03-2013, 05:47 AM   #323
Veteran Member

I don't think he's joking about the headset socket. Now if he said Ricoh is about to release a couple of true cinema lenses, too..... that might be a joke.
10-03-2013, 05:56 AM   #324
Pentaxian

Maybe the hump is for "da video grip"?!

Holding the camera at arm's lengths with both hands is easier if not only the right hand fingers have something to support. This could also imply that the back LCD display isn't like what we were used to from Pentax.
10-03-2013, 06:16 AM   #325
Pentaxian

I am assuming Uluru is not since the "bump" actually conceals a headphone port.
10-03-2013, 06:46 AM   #326
Inactive Account

You guys are all wrong, haven't you been up on the 'news' in the past few months??

The 'hump' is where the NSA has installed the wireless transmitter to transfer all the pics taken be sent directly to their new data center in Utah. They're starting with Pentax and rolling it out to the Canikon later on.

Happy snapping for the NSA, hehe
10-03-2013, 06:46 AM   #327
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe the bump conceals an alien to spring forth at a climactic moment. This will definitely be Sigourney Weaver's favorite camera.
10-03-2013, 06:49 AM   #328
Pentaxian

It is X-ray . Streetshots have never been like this before.
10-03-2013, 06:51 AM   #329
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I am assuming Uluru is not since the "bump" actually conceals a headphone port.
I must have missed something. How do you know so sure it conceals a headphone port?!? A photographic tool dedicated even more to video, of all the rumors, hopes and whishes that have been vented on PF, I've seen such a request exactly 0.0 times.

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Yeah, imagine photocamera makers actually trying to improve the photographic part of the photocameras. That would only be cool outside the Twilight zone.
10-03-2013, 06:55 AM   #330
Pentaxian

I must have missed something. How do you know so sure it conceals a headphone port?!? A photographic tool dedicated even more to video, of all the rumors, hopes and whishes that have been vented on PF, I've seen such a request exactly 0.0 times.
It so happens I do know. Mark my words and rendez-vous on the 8th (an announcement date I happen to be the first to have posted here ).