Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2013, 11:37 AM   #346
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Clavius is hoping the bump houses something more useful than a headphone jack, hence my answer together with the picture.
So, you are conviced like me, in that sense i posted on PentaxOne.
At least Pentax is playing the right game here : no junky standard like Canon has put in 5DMIII

10-03-2013, 01:26 PM   #347
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So I have a question about this photo. Who is Hu Fan Park, the person who's name is on the lower right corner. Does he work for Pentax? Is Pentax making this camera in China?
10-03-2013, 04:33 PM   #348
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Mysterious Hump

First time since 2009 and the K-7 Pentax has changed something in its camera design: welcome the mysterious hump of the bedazzled!

This mysterious hump is yet another Pentax classic, only real and visible "news" that something may be going on after the usual 4-5 years of hiatus. Boy, these guys from Itabashi-ku, Tokyo, know to make their fans go mad!

So after 4 and half years they gave us a .. small hump.

A big sensation, even bigger news. PF and all forums are boiling, threads after threads are opening, hundreds of posts added hourly.

What is hidden beneath? Internet is searched thoroughly, all recent patents examined. Yes, that must be it: a secret, super hi-tech component that will help Pentax try another Hail Mary pass, over all of its competitors! Nothing short of a miracle, that will make Earth spin itself in an opposite direction, change the climate and thus charge the constant downwards spiral of the brand with new gusts of wind and lift it up ... finally!

A headphone socket? O boy, no, it cannot be that. It cannot be such a mundane thing "which anyone could do". It must be something else. It must be.

It better be.

(Because who'd go through one more disappointment.)

Last edited by Uluru; 10-03-2013 at 04:41 PM.
10-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #349
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
It must be something else. It must be.
Relax...it is just the flux capacitor...I thought everyone had been told about it.

10-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #350
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've been waiting so long now that I would welcome a new thumb rest...
10-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #351
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Found this picture on a Japanese forum. Apparently the wideangle distortion was removed in Photoshop. So this should give a better idea about its "heft"
That's certainly improved the visual balance of the body, but the top of the prism housing doesn't quite seem to accord with the full frontal photo, which appears to have added a taller and narrower "peak" over that of the K-5. Just the same, some of the relative dimensions of the flash housing seem to be different to the K-5's, and the prism housing nose still appears to be further forward. It'd be interesting if this enlargement was to accommodate a square sensor, as unlikely as that would be (I imagine we'd have heard about such a special device being created by now), but I'd settle for an improved APS-C sensor, rather than a Great Leap Forward.
10-03-2013, 05:29 PM   #352
Pentaxian

Whoa, check it out.

I found a YouTube video that seems to show someone handling a K-3 and running through the menus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

It seems to be entirely in Japanese, but you can definitely see the body from a few new angles that haven't been in the photos so far.

10-03-2013, 05:31 PM   #353
Veteran Member

Why would they put a quarter inch jack on a camera? A 1/8 jack takes up so much less room. It has to be something other than a headphone/mic jack. Has to be. Otherwise it's a major design fumble.

My best is either on a motor, some additional antenna for gps/bluetooth/wifi, or a flash sync coupling.

10-03-2013, 05:33 PM   #354
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
Whoa, check it out.

I found a YouTube video that seems to show someone handling a K-3 and running through the menus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

It seems to be entirely in Japanese, but you can definitely see the body from a few new angles that haven't been in the photos so far.

LOL - That's pretty funny with the sound off
10-03-2013, 05:40 PM   #355
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
My best is either on a motor, some additional antenna for gps/bluetooth/wifi, or a flash sync coupling.
IRC they did say they worked directly with Eye-Fi engineers developing tight integration with Eye-Fi cards and context-sensitive menus when one is inserted.

Maybe they did a little more Wi-Fi engineering consulting.
10-03-2013, 05:41 PM   #356
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
LOL - That's pretty funny with the sound off
I wouldn't know - I don't understand Japanese.
10-03-2013, 05:52 PM   #357

The Hump clearly houses the next generation AX-G. Look it up.
10-03-2013, 08:12 PM   #358
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
First shot taken with K-3 with a headphone jack plugged in!

Oops it's protruding in the mirrorbox!
So that's how the new AF works: pair it with a mouse, then use it to click on what you want to focus on.
10-03-2013, 08:34 PM   #359
Veteran Member

I'd love a headphone jack, but you really don't need a hump for one, so this hump is likely something, something with more awesome sauce.
10-03-2013, 08:51 PM   #360
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I'd love a headphone jack, but you really don't need a hump for one, so this hump is likely something, something with more awesome sauce.
Either that or the body was already so chock-full of awesome the only way to fit more was to bulge outwards.