Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 68 Likes Search this Thread
10-04-2013, 05:25 AM   #376
Pentaxian

The Ricoh GR's suggested retail price was €749 at launch in France whilst the Nikon Coolpix A's was €999.

10-04-2013, 05:51 AM   #377
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
or someone formerly from Minolta is onboard
10-04-2013, 06:11 AM   #378
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
LOL, If I add up each and every K-3 rumor up untill now, then Oct 8th is going to be known as "the big letdown". Rumor has it that the K-3 has:
- Full Frame sensor,
- 40mp through sensor shift,
- a big amount of AF points,
- all cross AF points,
- 5 axis SR,
- both OVF and EVF,
- an FF VF on an APS-C camera, (wait what?)
- and what not...

What if Pentax "only" markets just a very good upgrade to the K-5: A small APS-C DSLR with lots of muscle? That's going to be so boring!

[/sarc]

Seriously, if the K-3 improves as much as the K-5 did from the K-7, then it's going to rock, even without all the extraordinary powers. Ok, it does need some cool feature to set itself apart from the rest, but all the rumors that are currently going are just out of this world.

For sure it is not a FF sensor, but I believe that the hump on the left side is to accommodate the step-motor to drive the mechanism for the EVF. On the patent it is shown on the bottom right side, but as there is already the mirror motor drive and being the other hump on the right side for the diaphragm motor drive it is the only possible place to go such step-motor.
Attached Images

10-04-2013, 06:35 AM   #379
Pentaxian

Hi,
please could you explain us what is the utility of this "step motor" ?
In live view mode, no other SLR seems to have it ?

10-04-2013, 06:48 AM   #380
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Hi,
please could you explain us what is the utility of this "step motor" ?
In live view mode, no other SLR seems to have it ?
You are one step ahead of me. I'm still trying to figure out what a motor has to do with and electronic viewfinder.
10-04-2013, 06:52 AM   #381
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
You are one step ahead of me. I'm still trying to figure out what a motor has to do with and electronic viewfinder.
I don't get that part either... My technical knowledge isn't that good, so I thought it was only and kept quiet.
10-04-2013, 06:52 AM   #382
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Maybe it mechanically replaces the ground glass screen with a LCD screen? Although to me that seems to be a little stupid and overengineered...

10-04-2013, 06:55 AM - 1 Like   #383
Pentaxian

I'll just wait another two days. I don't think the Ricoh Pentax K-3 is going to run ahead on features like hybrid viewfinders in dslrs. This camera is getting specced up beyond belief all for a mere $1300 it can outperform everything in dslrland.
10-04-2013, 07:00 AM   #384
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I'll just wait another two days. I don't think the Ricoh Pentax K-3 is going to run ahead on features like hybrid viewfinders in dslrs. This camera is getting specced up beyond belief all for a mere $1300 it can outperform everything in dslrland.
I would like to suggest you to not expect anything other than a jump in megapixels (and not a significant jump at that). That way you will never be disappointed!
10-04-2013, 07:00 AM - 1 Like   #385
Pentaxian

It almost looks like #21 swings or slides out of the way by the gear mechanism. OVF in normal shooting mode, evf for movie mode. Neat idea. As much as live view and articulating screens are nice, stability of the body against the eye held with two hands would be an advantage. I'm surprised no one has come up with a view screen on the top so you can hold the body against your chest, hanging on the straps around your neck. Another stable holding position.
10-04-2013, 07:03 AM   #386
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
I'm surprised no one has come up with a view screen on the top so you can hold the body against your chest, hanging on the straps around your neck. Another stable holding position.
Somehow like old (p)Z1 but with an EVF in place of the LCD ?
Yeah that be TLR/Rolleiflex-like VF. I'd probably buy that if implementation allright, although a stinking EVF (I pulling my own legs, huh).
10-04-2013, 07:13 AM   #387
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Somehow like old (p)Z1 but with an EVF in place of the LCD ?
Yeah that be TLR/Rolleiflex-like VF. I'd probably buy that if implementation allright, although a stinking EVF (I pulling my own legs, huh).
I don't quite understand why the 'hold the camera at arm's length and squint at a small screen and hope nothing moves too much' style has taken off. Yes and lcd, but if it is articulated make it possible to swing it up over the top of the body.

As I write this I see signs that I'm getting old.
10-04-2013, 07:16 AM   #388
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
I don't quite understand why the 'hold the camera at arm's length and squint at a small screen and hope nothing moves too much' style has taken off. Yes and lcd, but if it is articulated make it possible to swing it up over the top of the body.

As I write this I see signs that I'm getting old.
Nope, a fixed top (or interchangeable one LX-like) EVF can get you (just as with 6x6 cameras) sunshades easily (or easier) so you can actually see something on the screen.
On a moving screen in immediately gets in the way. But your solution is better than not having at all a way of framing from the top, that's true.
Oh, and make it configurable: I want it to be inverted left/right and square.
10-04-2013, 07:19 AM   #389
Pentaxian

Ah yes, the sunscreen. I'm liking this more and more.
10-04-2013, 07:21 AM   #390
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
You're probably right, however Ricoh has money. So they could offer a loss leader if they wanted to. I have no doubt Nikon and Canon are losing money on the 6D and D600. Selling cameras is all about selling glass that is profitable.