Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2013, 07:49 AM   #391
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
You're probably right, however Ricoh has money.
More than Canon, Sony?

10-04-2013, 07:53 AM   #392
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Nope, a fixed top (or interchangeable one LX-like) EVF can get you (just as with 6x6 cameras) sunshades easily (or easier) so you can actually see something on the screen.
On a moving screen in immediately gets in the way. But your solution is better than not having at all a way of framing from the top, that's true.
Oh, and make it configurable: I want it to be inverted left/right and square.
That's it!!! The "hump" is a built-in umbrella.
10-04-2013, 07:59 AM   #393
Veteran Member

It's a jack, for when you have a flat tire...
10-04-2013, 08:08 AM   #394
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
More than Canon, Sony?
No, but they're all up in the hundreds of millions of dollars in profit. Before Pentax' merger with Hoya, they were only netting tens of millions. Ricoh makes 3x as much money every year as what they paid for Pentax.

10-04-2013, 08:12 AM   #395
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
You're probably right, however Ricoh has money. So they could offer a loss leader if they wanted to. I have no doubt Nikon and Canon are losing money on the 6D and D600. Selling cameras is all about selling glass that is profitable.
I don't see loss leaders as being the road to a succesful brand. Companies like Canon and Nikon don't have enough flexibility. When they over-predict the market, they make too many cameras and then they sell them for a loss. Ricoh's history is not to over produce product in the beginning, till they gauge demand and so we won't see these fire-sale situations.
10-04-2013, 08:18 AM   #396
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't see loss leaders as being the road to a succesful brand. Companies like Canon and Nikon don't have enough flexibility. When they over-predict the market, they make too many cameras and then they sell them for a loss. Ricoh's history is not to over produce product in the beginning, till they gauge demand and so we won't see these fire-sale situations.
I don't necessarily see it as the road to success either. I'm just saying Ricoh can certainly sell more camera than what it costs if they wanted to. It remains to be seen just how souped-up this K-3 is for what it's going to cost, but at 1300 for an APS-C camera, that's close to what Nikon and Canon are getting for their lower end 135 cameras.
10-04-2013, 08:41 AM   #397

QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
For sure it is not a FF sensor, but I believe that the hump on the left side is to accommodate the step-motor to drive the mechanism for the EVF. On the patent it is shown on the bottom right side, but as there is already the mirror motor drive and being the other hump on the right side for the diaphragm motor drive it is the only possible place to go such step-motor.
I think this might be the best explanation for the hump so far.

10-04-2013, 08:43 AM   #398

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Hi,
please could you explain us what is the utility of this "step motor" ?
In live view mode, no other SLR seems to have it ?
The patent for the image essentially described a unique method to display a live view, where the additional motor and gearing controlled the mirror and an EL display at the focusing screen.
10-04-2013, 08:56 AM   #399

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Maybe it mechanically replaces the ground glass screen with a LCD screen? Although to me that seems to be a little stupid and overengineered...
The patent describes not a replacement for the ground glass, but a supplement (a thin EL layer). The point is to simplify any live-view/overlay mechanism for the viewfinder, where you'd normally have to switch from the viewfinder to the LCD screen. So it's not necessarily over-engineered or stupid, but simply solving a problem (that is, not take your eye away from the finder).

From the patent in question:
QuoteQuote:
... an optical image of an object formed on the focusing screen and a live digital image of the same object displayed by the EL display can be selectively viewed through the viewfinder. According to this structure... [it] facilitates the image switching operation and prevents the structure of the camera becoming complicated.
I can see how this would be a simpler approach to handle overlays and live-view compared to the Sony translucent mirror tech in their recent and current SLT models or the Fuji hybrid viewfinder in the XPro1/X100/X100s models.

If the hump is related to this patent, I can see how this would be a different approach that Pentax seems to be proud of in its cryptic interviews.

Last edited by thigmo; 10-04-2013 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Missing word in patent quote... had to actually type it out since it's only an image file!
10-04-2013, 09:17 AM   #400
Veteran Member

I think Ricoh designed the hump to give Pentax users something to complain about.
10-04-2013, 09:25 AM   #401
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I think Ricoh designed the hump to give Pentax users something to complain about.
Because they don't complain enough already?
10-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #402
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thigmo Quote
I think this might be the best explanation for the hump so far.
There is something ambiguous with "EVF" and "mecanism". Can anyone give me more on the "EVF mécanism" ?

Last edited by mamethot; 10-04-2013 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Ah! Did not read the following posts before answering...
10-04-2013, 10:00 AM   #403
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Hi,
please could you explain us what is the utility of this "step motor" ?
In live view mode, no other SLR seems to have it ?
As you can see in the picture, item nr 62 is a shield that is pulled between the EL display and the mirror, when in the up position, to avoid reflections on the latter. That is operated by a motor. Initially the design should use the mirror motor, but maybe practice has dictated other ways!

Single-lens-reflex digital camera - US Patent 7471891 Description
10-04-2013, 10:02 AM   #404
Veteran Member

I'm confused. The DSLR has a mirrorless mode?
10-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #405
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
I'm confused. The DSLR has a mirrorless mode?
This is not a statement! It's not a question of mirror or not mirror. Just OVF or EVF I would like that they had implemented this feature. When in LiveView you would choose from back LCD or incorporated EL screen. It is an electroluminescent screen which is transparent when the mirror is down or ELV mode is OFF !